Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello and should I be here ?!?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ben T
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hello all,

Having spent the last few hours reading the forums, it felt rude not to register and introduce myself. My name is Ben, and I’m a software developer. Sure there are lots of us, but fortunately I’m a really good software developer, so I think that should give me a competitive advantage :)

Since moving to Australia (Melbourne) 6 months ago, I’ve been settling in, getting married, and have come across some freelance work. Wonderful, I thought; a work from home gig, something a little different from the normal 9-5 roles. Two weeks in, I’m seeing some of the good (flexibility, no commute !) and the bad (distractions, self-discipline). But I’m thinking the good has every chance of outweighing the bad many times over in the long run…

So what today started as an investigation into Australian tax laws to work out essentially how I can get paid went via an ABN vrs ACN search, and onto here. The decision seems to have gone beyond a tax optimization act and into a potential career / lifestyle change.

I have picked up a basic understanding of a few things, for which I’ll post a new topic to see if others can help point out any errors in my understanding ! For now, I wanted to say hi, and really ask the thought that’s buzzing through my head – should I be here ? Or am I mad to get into freelancing right now when I’m “just doing a contract that came along” ?! I don’t really have a network here yet – but then this contract came out of nowhere, who’s to say if I don’t dig around a bit, more won’t appear ?

Right – onto the right forum section to ask tax and new business questions !

Thanks and greetings,
    Ben

Captain Simmo
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

Hi and welcome to Flying solo,

Absolutely you should be here…

Even if you don’t want to include freelance work straight away there is alot to be gained from this site and the opportunity to ask all the neccessary questions to get your business set up correctly!

You never know, you may also land yourself a few clients also ;)

Simmo.

Ben T
    Up

Thanks Simmo !

Have posted my tax queries / ABN vrs ACN understandings over here : http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/money-matters/13346-freelancer-tax-taxing-abn-vrs-acn.html#post73157

Hopefully I can get a half-decent handle on the playing field over Easter, and maybe find myself an accountant for the fine details !

Cheers,
    Ben

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Welcome Ben. I have no doubt you’ll get some good responses to your questions and we’re pleased to have you here.

Robert and the crew at FS

MikeB
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Hi Ben Welcome to Melbourne

If you’re after some business structure advice in Melbourne I can recommend this company

http://www.pag-group.com.au/

I went here a few years ago to get my structure sorted out and they are now my accountants.

I am very happy with them and my only affiliation with them is I am their client and a happy one at that.

Also I’d be interested to find out more about what you do. Do you have a website/blog with more info?

Cheers Mike

Ben T
    Up

Hi Mike,

Again, having found myself suddenly looking at the prospect of freelancing as a career rather than as an occasional line of work, I’ve not really focused on keeping a good web presence.

Aside from the obligatory LinkedIn profile that I never use, my only real online presence at the moment is my CV : http://ceevee.com/benturner

If freelancing is a direction I want to go in, then I have a task to increase my online presence professional – I’ve been good at maintaining a good social online presence (via http://about.me/benturner) but it’s always been targeting at social links rather than professional work.

I will certainly take a look into PAG, I’ve reached the point where I need some external help to order all my thoughts and findings into fact and direction !

Ben

MikeB
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Hi Ben

I was going to send you a message but you haven’t registered yet?

When you call PAG just ask to speak to Mark. He sat me down and explained all my options regarding business structures in a manner that was easy to understand.

I’ll keep you in mind when I’ve got any software requirements.

Cheers Mike

Neddy
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

Hi Ben,

Welcome to FS. It’s a great place to be, and I’m sure you will get some appropriate answers to your other post.

Just had a look at your CV – and all I can say is Wow! What a talented man you are. (I didn’t even know what half the things were, so you must be good! :D )

All the best.

Cheers, Ned

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.