Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello Everybody!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jon11
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hey Guys,

My name is Jon, I’m 28 and I’ve been working in IT for about 8 years.

After seeing my dad make a go of an online bookselling business, I thought if he could manage it there might be something to the micro business idea. Maybe I can emulate his model?

I’ve done alot of contracting so technically have had experience with my own business but in reality I don’t really have a clue where to begin with a different model other than IT contracting..

I know alot of other people must be in the same boat and this site looks like a great resource.. I look forward to picking plenty of brains.

Cheers,

Jon

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Jon,

Welcome to Flying Solo – I hope you find plenty of inspiration for your plans here.

Have you made any decisions yet about what your new business will be?

All the best,
    Jayne

jon11
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

I’m essentially looking for something that will require very little initial outlay and that will allow me to keep my existing job while allowing me to scale up if the business takes off.

Selling books online offers those options, I wont be competing with my dad he lives in Europe :)

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forums.

I was in a similiar position 5 or so years ago. I wanted to start a sideline business. My background is software develeopment, so I started writing a small software package that I wanted to use myself and thought there was a whole in the market.
    I did lots of research, a bit of work, lots of reading about how to start, run a and grow a business. The more I read and learned about running a business the more interested I become.

Once day, out of the blue a new business opportunity not related to software presented itself and now 3 1/2 years later it is a full time job for my wife and myself – still under a year of being full time but already financially and emotionally way ahead of working for someone else.

The morale of the story is to just start and learn as much as you can.
    I don’t think you can push through a great idea until you learn about business in general – then an idea will just pop up and you will have the knowledge and skills to take advantage of it.

Good luck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.