• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    amyn2
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi,

My name is Amy and I’m a newbie at FlyingSolo. I have come across this website and find it really interesting.

I am doing a business plan for my small on-line store on Ebay. Hope to get valuable advice from all of you.

Cheers,
    Amy :)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Amy,

And WELCOME aboard.. glad you are here :)

There are numerous comments about online ebay stores throughout the forum.. have a look see, if you cant find answers that you need feel free to post in the relevant section as there are a few eBay gurus on here (cough *Maclean cough *Maclean) that will happily chip in and assist if they know….

Tell us a little more about yourself,,, what are you selling? been doing it long? full time/part time? sorry for all the questions, love getting to know new peeps and what they are working on or developing….

Look forward to seeing you around..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    amyn2
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 184705 wrote:
    Hi Amy,

And WELCOME aboard.. glad you are here :)

There are numerous comments about online ebay stores throughout the forum.. have a look see, if you cant find answers that you need feel free to post in the relevant section as there are a few eBay gurus on here (cough *Maclean cough *Maclean) that will happily chip in and assist if they know….

Tell us a little more about yourself,,, what are you selling? been doing it long? full time/part time? sorry for all the questions, love getting to know new peeps and what they are working on or developing….

Look forward to seeing you around..

Cheers
    Jason

Hi Jason,

Glad to hear from you, my 1st reply :)

I want to sell beauty product/accessories such as: eyelashes, cosmetic case/brushes, organizer bags…I am still doing a market research and haven’t finalized yet. What do you reckon about those products? I am a little worried about pricing as I can see products from China & Hong Kong are so cheap with free postage. It is quite hard to give customers a very competitive price. However, I’m more focus on delivery time & service quality. I’m totally new to Ebay so am starting everything from scratch :) I’m doing this biz as my part-time job but if it goes well, I will consider to open my own store.

I also have some other questions such as:

1. Importing products. Many suppliers offer FOB prices. If I purchase under $1000 value, what other possible fees/charges to get my consignments from port to my home?
    2. There are thousands of similar stores on Ebay. As an Ebay buyer, I rarely search for more than 20 pages to look up for the item I want to buy. What can I do to keep my store be visible/searchable to customers?

If anyone can help me get the answers for those, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Amy

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Amy,

Welcome to Flying Solo and best of luck with your new venture!

If there are thousands of stores selling at super cheap prices, what makes you think this is a good market to enter? Do you have something special to offer? Is there something that customers are currently dissatisfied with, that you’ll be improving?

Dave

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Amy

Whilst i do not have any specific information regarding your products and the likes that interest you with getting onto ebay, i think David has hit the nail on the head.. whilst you have already identified that there are 1,000s on ebay doing this what is going to be your point of difference?

I did take note that delivery time was something you were trying to compete on, although the one thing you need to be conscious of is that eBay buyers are price sensitive – to the extreme… its really quite disrupting when you think through it more.. so to be competitive, whats your goals?

Allow me to add some general comments, not as a negative, but to provoke a few more thoughts from you, if i may?
    1. These other sellers you are seeing from China, are more than likely the same suppliers you intend on buying from and as a result is extremely hard to compete on product pricing.. to make it more difficult is the AustraliaPost fees, we are so darn expensive compared to other parts of the world.. example, i can ship an item from Hong Kong to australia via HK post and it is cheaper than shipping it within Australia (even suburb to neighbouring suburb!).

2. How do you intend on maintaining quality assurances?

3. How do you plan on increasing your ebay feedback, this is something that will address your ability to sell and be deemed reputable on the eBay platform which is what most savvy eBay buyers assess when buying.. some of the overseas HK based sellers of products you are interested in have over 50k in feedback.. ouch!

4. How do you intend on capturing clients? just ebay? side web site with blog? etc etc.. not coming from this industry (i may be misreading this) it may be a struggle to get off the ground so you will need to think outside the box in gaining a following of sorts whereby people will seek you out..

Moving on from above, i have lost track – apologies – as sitting in a cafe having a beer trying to fix my own web site issue at moment and had to reply to you :)

Re your questions:
    1. You should touch base with a local freight forwarder to capture all relevant information.. there are a few on the forum, i can highly recommend CAT from CAT – Global Logistics as she is very straight forward and honest.. something important with freight..

2. Its quite hard to pin point what keeps you at the top of the ebay listings although there are several key things that will put you above the rest.. Feedback and volume of sales, being registered as a store, becoming a power seller (certain criteria which equates to volume and and mix of feedback requirements) etc.. this will ultimately assist you in achieving higher rankings.. to circumvent this from the outset you can pay higher fees (although with the value of your products it may not be viable) such as a featured product etc etc.. just means you are paying to appear at the top of the search results such as with Google..

I know i have said a bit,, please do not take them with negativity, they are merely thought provoking.. It can be a challenge as it appears the area that interests you is highly competitive although i must say, most are :)….

Just research, assess, make contacts that can help you and work on your planning as much as possible.. assess if you can compete on price ,if not how far off etc etc… think thoroughly, its not a huge outlay to build the business – but will it succeed? can you be driven when you see the obstacles, that is most important!

Maybe, in the meantime, you may want to create an ebay registration and buy some cheap things. sell some household goods to try and build up your feedback score so that when you do decide to jump into it you will not be a 0 feedbacker that could help get a few sales across the line.. What ever you do, please ensure you mark the listings as PRIVATE in ebay.. this way when people look at your feedback they will not be able to see the items sold and will hide this a little so when you flip the business switch to ON it will look better..

ANy queries, ask.. ask and ask!!!

Cheers and wish you the best.

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    amyn2
    Up

Hi Dave,

That’s also a question I asked myself before I decide to get started with Ebay. Many stores offered cheap prices, but unfortunately cheap quality as well. I and my friends have been Ebay’s customers for 3 years and reckon if I start the store on Ebay, I want to deliver a good quality product with a reasonable price & an excellent service. I will be the one to check & test items from suppliers before it is sold to the customers, to make sure they are 100% happy when receiving it. And after sales service is also essential. Repeated customers are very important on Ebay while thousands of stores have similar products.

If you have any other ideas, please share with me. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Amy

amyn2
    Up

Hi Jason,

Thanks a lot for your honest comments. I can see many good points there that help me learn before pulling out a not-so-sure business :)

I came across an idea of setting up an on-line store to earn more income during my spare time as it is the best solution with an office person like me atm. However, more research will be required as starting with Ebay is not easy esp. in terms of profitability.

I will ask lots more question during my research. Thanks for offering help, Jason!

Cheers,
    Amy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.