Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello fellow micro business enthusiasts! I’m a web designer!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RyanHallett
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hello everyone, my name is Ryan!

After completing some university studies and doing a plethora of travelling in the last few years I have decided to give the industry of web design a crack in my local community.

I moved away from the Yorke Peninsula to start my studies in Adelaide and have since returned with my partner to the small town of Maitland in SA. Realising that to secure a job in my field I would have to either move or work for free, I made the decision to start a small business while working part time.

I have begun to advertise in the local area, and am currently working on my business website to go live in the next week or so.

I have joined this site specifically because of it’s Australian nature, believing that the content I find and people I speak to will share common ground in terms of issues pertaining to small business in our fine country.

I hope to share ideas, help broaden my own knowledge and that of others involved in this community and am very much looking forward to contributing.

Please don’t be a stranger!

Ryan Hallett

PS. If anyone from the web community is reading this, I am looking for a good, up-to-date reference guide (preferably a book) to HTML/ CSS/ CSS3 that I can use to tighten my skills and get back into the loop for 2012. If in any doubt as to what I’m actually babbling about, what I’d like is a bible; something I can pick up and immediately find any given topic, but can also read through from start to finish. Any articles or journals online would be more than welcome also.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Good luck Ryan.

I won’t suggest a book, but a good resource is the mdn :
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Ryan,

welcome to the forum,
    The only html css book I know that can be read from front to back that I know of is probably newbie for you. Called learn html5 and css the right way by sitepoint.
    I personally enjoyed it coming from the school of tables it was a real eye opener.

Steve

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hello and welcome!

I too used a Sitepoint book to brush up on my skills.

Look forward to seing you on the boards.

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

Welcome! Can’t recommend a book or resource, but good luck finding one. :)

RyanHallett, post: 126010 wrote:

Hello everyone, my name is Ryan!

After completing some university studies and doing a plethora of travelling in the last few years I have decided to give the industry of web design a crack in my local community.

I moved away from the Yorke Peninsula to start my studies in Adelaide and have since returned with my partner to the small town of Maitland in SA. Realising that to secure a job in my field I would have to either move or work for free, I made the decision to start a small business while working part time.

I have begun to advertise in the local area, and am currently working on my business website to go live in the next week or so.

I have joined this site specifically because of it’s Australian nature, believing that the content I find and people I speak to will share common ground in terms of issues pertaining to small business in our fine country.

I hope to share ideas, help broaden my own knowledge and that of others involved in this community and am very much looking forward to contributing.

Please don’t be a stranger!

Ryan Hallett

PS. If anyone from the web community is reading this, I am looking for a good, up-to-date reference guide (preferably a book) to HTML/ CSS/ CSS3 that I can use to tighten my skills and get back into the loop for 2012. If in any doubt as to what I’m actually babbling about, what I’d like is a bible; something I can pick up and immediately find any given topic, but can also read through from start to finish. Any articles or journals online would be more than welcome also.

gregorys
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Hi Ryan,
    One book I found really useful and used extensively as a reference is :

Beginning Web Programming with HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Wrox Beginning Guides) by Jon Duckett

The one I have is outdated by now but if you can find a current version by the same author, I think it won’t disappoint.

Regards
    Greg

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Books? What decade is this?!!!

http://www.w3schools.com/

From a fellow SA web designer I will say, this town is super competitive. Everyone know’s ‘someone’ already who can do them a website. Education is the key.

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Welcome Ryan :)

Great name, my hubby’s name!

Any reason why you only want business in your local area? Just wanted to say: don’t be afraid to “dream big” :)

Best of luck on your new adventure!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.