Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello from a makeup artist!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BellaChic
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

My name is Hannah and I am trying to change my career path from a fulltime government admin monkey to become a full-time makeup artist. I think it’s going to be a long process but I’m really excited about it (both the career and working for myself).

My first goal is to look at other ways to get some income that has more flexible hours (work from home jobs, starting an online makeup store etc.) so I can reduce my admin hours and be more available for makeup artistry gigs.

I’m here to try and get info and advice about the business aspects of my new career, as well as hearing the experiences of others. Looking forward to chatting with you and hopefully sharing wisdom :)

Hannah
    Bella Chic Makeup Artistry

exstatic
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Welcome to the forums, and well done for making the leap.

This place has loads of great members with some great advice.. so if you can;t find what you are looking for.. just ask :)

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Hi Hannah

Sounds fun! First question would be do your other income streams needs to be connected to make up? An online store would be a great idea, you could also tailor the store to a particular niche like weddings or formals. How about a blog promoting make up techniques and products – it would take a while to generate an income but once you have a following you could review products for a fee. You could get a part time job on the make up counter of a large department store – quite often that way you can get out of hours make up jobs for the customers that come in. I guess it all depends what you want to get out of the other part time work – more experience and maybe clients for the make up business, or just something that will bring in some income and is flexible.

You need to sit down and do a budget / cashflow forecast and work out how much income you need to generate to start cutting down on your current job. Make a list of all your essential living expenses and what you need to earn to cover those. Is your current job one where you can cut down a day at a time?

BellaChic, post: 25067 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

My name is Hannah and I am trying to change my career path from a fulltime government admin monkey to become a full-time makeup artist. I think it’s going to be a long process but I’m really excited about it (both the career and working for myself).

My first goal is to look at other ways to get some income that has more flexible hours (work from home jobs, starting an online makeup store etc.) so I can reduce my admin hours and be more available for makeup artistry gigs.

I’m here to try and get info and advice about the business aspects of my new career, as well as hearing the experiences of others. Looking forward to chatting with you and hopefully sharing wisdom :)

Hannah
    Bella Chic Makeup Artistry

BellaChic
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    Ideas Book, post: 25183 wrote:
    Hi Hannah

Sounds fun! First question would be do your other income streams needs to be connected to make up? An online store would be a great idea, you could also tailor the store to a particular niche like weddings or formals. How about a blog promoting make up techniques and products – it would take a while to generate an income but once you have a following you could review products for a fee. You could get a part time job on the make up counter of a large department store – quite often that way you can get out of hours make up jobs for the customers that come in. I guess it all depends what you want to get out of the other part time work – more experience and maybe clients for the make up business, or just something that will bring in some income and is flexible.

You need to sit down and do a budget / cashflow forecast and work out how much income you need to generate to start cutting down on your current job. Make a list of all your essential living expenses and what you need to earn to cover those. Is your current job one where you can cut down a day at a time?

Hi Sophie,

Thanks for the great response! I am trying to keep all of my future plans somehow linked into beauty/makeup – not just because that’s where my passion is, but I think it will keep everything more focused.

Without spilling the beans too much, you’ve pretty much nailed what I want to do (re: store and blog). I’ve been really open with my current employer and they’re willing to let me cut down my hours whenever I choose (which I really appreciate). The goal is to see how much income the store & freelancing is producing on average per week, and once the profit equals a day of work I’ll cut back on my admin job to focus more on the business. If I can get down to working 2 days a week for my employer and the rest of my income from my own work, then I’ll be content with that for a while.

My plan is to spend February finalising my range and placing orders, ready to be up and running in March. I’m confident in choosing the stock range and website creation, but marketing will be my challenge, especially as I’m trying to appeal to the finicky 15-25 age group. But I’m really looking forward to it, as it’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time.

Runway Express Experience
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Please go to http://www.runwayexpress.com.au …. I have just started up a new and exciting company and we are currently look for makeup artist to join us – we can help you set up your own mini company!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.