Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello from a soon-to-be home cleaner!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Cookie__
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone! As a happy coincidence, I’ve just found this website whilst in the process of planning and mapping out my own small business. Reading though some of the existing threads has been an excellent source of information, and motivation.

My story is that I’m a naturally introverted person, and working in my previous roles (Executive Assistant, PA, admin etc) took a great toll on me. I love people, but dealing with them all the time stresses me out. I reached the top, and now want to take a few steps back and enjoy life more.

So, I’ve taken the plunge and made the decision to work for myself. Yes, it will be stressful, but at least I have no psychotic managers (except myself ha-ha). I can choose my own hours, and feel accomplished in my job.

I’ve decided to start up a domestic cleaning service based in my local area, as a sole trader. So far I’ve obtained my ABN, mocked up some flyers and I’m just checking out the local competition before I begin advertising. I’m getting a new (cheapie) mobile on prepaid, and looking at some backpack vacuum cleaners.

Ideally, my goal is to garner enough clients to enable me to work “part time” hours. Obviously this is dependent on whether or not I’m successful. This will just be a one-woman operation, and I don’t really have any aspirations to expand or anything. Just enough to earn some decent pocket money. I might even return to study as well!

I’m really excited, and hope that everything takes off. I’m still a bit apprehensive about tax, claims, invoices, and what I need to do to ensure I’m running a legitimate show, but I’m sure I’ll learn. The hourly rates for cleaners varied quite a lot; I’ve seen anything from $15 – $35! My next step is to outline a pricing template.

If you’ve managed to read this far, then thank you! I hope everyone succeeds in their chosen endeavors, and good luck! :)

HBC Advisory
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Welcome to FS!

All the best with your business plans! Don’t worry about the prices too much as they won’t be true reflection of type of service performed. (It may be $15 per hour but they might take longer to clean)

Get a facebook page! Free and effective to spread a word around amoungst your connections!

Good Luck!

HBC Advisory.

Joe @ Clik Clik
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    Cookie__, post: 158280 wrote:
    Hi everyone! As a happy coincidence, I’ve just found this website whilst in the process of planning and mapping out my own small business. Reading though some of the existing threads has been an excellent source of information, and motivation.

My story is that I’m a naturally introverted person, and working in my previous roles (Executive Assistant, PA, admin etc) took a great toll on me. I love people, but dealing with them all the time stresses me out. I reached the top, and now want to take a few steps back and enjoy life more.

So, I’ve taken the plunge and made the decision to work for myself. Yes, it will be stressful, but at least I have no psychotic managers (except myself ha-ha). I can choose my own hours, and feel accomplished in my job.

I’ve decided to start up a domestic cleaning service based in my local area, as a sole trader. So far I’ve obtained my ABN, mocked up some flyers and I’m just checking out the local competition before I begin advertising. I’m getting a new (cheapie) mobile on prepaid, and looking at some backpack vacuum cleaners.

Ideally, my goal is to garner enough clients to enable me to work “part time” hours. Obviously this is dependent on whether or not I’m successful. This will just be a one-woman operation, and I don’t really have any aspirations to expand or anything. Just enough to earn some decent pocket money. I might even return to study as well!

I’m really excited, and hope that everything takes off. I’m still a bit apprehensive about tax, claims, invoices, and what I need to do to ensure I’m running a legitimate show, but I’m sure I’ll learn. The hourly rates for cleaners varied quite a lot; I’ve seen anything from $15 – $35! My next step is to outline a pricing template.

If you’ve managed to read this far, then thank you! I hope everyone succeeds in their chosen endeavors, and good luck! :)

Welcome to FS!

I had a cleaning business a few years ago and like you wasn’t sure how much to charge. I ended up charging $40 per hour and spent a lot of time working on the brand so people were willing to pay that. I used to do things like have a checklist that I would leave after each clean so that they could see I had worked through a process and would leave commentary on things like “Sometime in the future I would recommend getting your windows cleaned”. This was a good way to upsell for next time as well.

For vacuums I would definitely recommend Pacvac, they are really reliable but it does take you a bit to get used to having a back pack as you turn around and hit the walls with it.

You will enjoy the freedom but you definitely get a workout cleaning so part-time might be a good approach.

Cookie__
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    Joe @ Clik Clik, post: 158331 wrote:
    Welcome to FS!

I had a cleaning business a few years ago and like you wasn’t sure how much to charge…

Hi Joe, thanks for your response and advice! I’ll have a look at the Pacvac today. Wow, $40 per hour! Here I am thinking I might not get clients if I charge $20 – $25 per hour.

When you first began, were you managing to obtain enough clients to keep you going? In addition to the letterbox drop, I’m thinking of advertising in the local paper. Down the road a bit perhaps a website, depending on whether there is a demand.

I also think your checklist is a great idea too!

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Welcome to FS
    Looks as though people are starting to realise Cleaning is a wonderful profession to be in. For starters you get paid to get FIT.

$ 35.00 ph is a good starting rate. Work out you costs and dont forget you need public and product liability insurance, plus vehicle upkeep and chemicals and equipment. Micro fibre cloths and mops are the way to go, they will use less chemicals and speed up the cleaning process. Also dont forget to charge for your time as well, many cleaners dont and then find it hard to grow the business.
    A backpack is a must as it will reduce your cleaning time and do a much better job than most other vacuums.

Try and get as many “local” jobs as you can as this reduces costs and your them able to start making a bit of profit.

OK good luck it is a wonderful business to be in.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Make sure you actually do what you say you’ll do. I had a cleaner for a few weeks this year. I was told she would do certain things but she didn’t. Paid $27.50 an hour for a job I could do better in less time. I could have educated her but for that amount I don’t want to teach, I want the job done as I was told it would be.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there Cookie,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and good luck for your new business.

I hope you pick up lots of tips here to help you get started – there’s a tidy bundle of them here already, and I hope they help. Burgo in particular has decades of experience in your industry, and is very generous in sharing it. (Thank you as always Burgo! :))

All the best,
    Jayne

Joe @ Clik Clik
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    Cookie__, post: 158352 wrote:
    Hi Joe, thanks for your response and advice! I’ll have a look at the Pacvac today. Wow, $40 per hour! Here I am thinking I might not get clients if I charge $20 – $25 per hour.

When you first began, were you managing to obtain enough clients to keep you going? In addition to the letterbox drop, I’m thinking of advertising in the local paper. Down the road a bit perhaps a website, depending on whether there is a demand.

I also think your checklist is a great idea too!

I am not quite sure where you are based in Australia but you are on the right track researching what your competitors are charging as prices will differ from town to town.

I started off just focusing on end of lease cleaning. I used the realestate websites to look for rentals that were coming up as I knew they were ready to buy/engage a cleaner and then would post them a card. I had it all fairly automated in the end and had a good response rate to using this approach.

For just regular cleans, I found that word of mouth was the most powerful thing here. With cleaners people are always nervous about letting someone into their home so there are trust issues. If you just had a simple website with a few pages and had things like “All of our cleaners are fully insured”….etc.

Another trick is to make sure you get some nicely scented spray to spray around the home when you finish. When people come home to the house it will smell clean and make them feel good about the work you have done.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.