Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello from an Ebay Reseller!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jen B
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi All!

At the start of the year, I decided to have a go at selling second-hand clothes on Ebay. I get the clothes from second-hand shops and yard sales.

This started as a hobby, a bit of an experiment to see if there was any money to be made and if I was any good at it.

Quite fortunately, I’ve discovered that all those years of shopping have paid off and I’ve got a good eye for reselling clothes :D Although it hasn’t been long, I’m starting to see some consistent profit.

In fact, I’m making enough to think about starting a real business. So far, making money has been relatively easy (surprisingly!) But I really want to make sure everything I’m doing is legal and above board and this is proving really scary and confusing. I’m hoping this forum will be able to help me!

I’ll post my questions in all the relevant threads, but thought I’d stop by here and say hello first!

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Welcome Jen,

You’ll notice in my signature that I’ve just done something similar. Love going to garage sales, picking out a bargain and making a profit on eBay. Have also now imported a few items in bulk from China and looking to pour some substantial money in to the business this year.

I’ve also started a blog about growing the business, I wrote a post similar to what you’re doing yesterday – http://buildingmyebaybusiness.com/raise-start-funds/might be a couple of things in there that help?

Word of warning, make sure you do not share links to your auctions, eBay views this as shill bidding and will shut you down if they think you’re doing it.

If you’re starting to get some volume I’d suggest registering as a business so you can start claiming back GST paid, especially on postage and packing etc.

Good luck!

Maclean

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Jen,

A huge congrats on starting a profitable venture! This is not a small achievement and many people on this forum are still working to get there.

Welcome to Flying Solo and best of luck taking it to the next level. :)

Dave

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    Hatching_It, post: 184143 wrote:
    Welcome Jen,

You’ll notice in my signature that I’ve just done something similar. Love going to garage sales, picking out a bargain and making a profit on eBay. Have also now imported a few items in bulk from China and looking to pour some substantial money in to the business this year.

I’ve also started a blog about growing the business, I wrote a post similar to what you’re doing yesterday – http://buildingmyebaybusiness.com/raise-start-funds/might be a couple of things in there that help?

Word of warning, make sure you do not share links to your auctions, eBay views this as shill bidding and will shut you down if they think you’re doing it.

If you’re starting to get some volume I’d suggest registering as a business so you can start claiming back GST paid, especially on postage and packing etc.

Good luck!

Maclean

Howdy Maclean,

Firstly I must apologise for thread hijacking but I really just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS Maclean on starting the blog. I know you have a lot planned and this is one you wanted to tick of the list.. so once again, CONGRATS mate.. I look forward to reading your progression.

And Jen, woo hoo.. shop-a-holic ready yo not earn some money instead ;) it is a great decisio yo start, and as you appear to have already noted if you buy right… you can make a killing in second hand gear! Starting is the hardest . I am with Maclean, if you see money and an opportunity maybe you should legitimise it so you can start claiming things as well.. just saying.

If you have questions, ask as most regularys are rather friendly here… and there are quite a few experiencef ebayers here as well (I run a few sites.. 1 of which is 100% for now and 2053 feedback and anothet at 1600+ and one negative)..

Look forward to seeing you around.

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Not sure of your definition of ‘shill bidding’ Maclean. I thought it was where the seller bid on their items using another ID or had family or friends bid on their items for them. Totally illegal, immoral and unethical.

Best of luck to both of you. eBay constantly change the rules so I suggest you keep a close eye on that. Also, the forums there are full of helpful people but I do warn you that the forums there get the people who are in the most trouble so it gives you a slanted view of how eBay works and operates. If you’re in trouble they will give you the best advice even if it’s not what you wanted to hear.

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up
    SuzsSpace, post: 184269 wrote:
    Not sure of your definition of ‘shill bidding’ Maclean. I thought it was where the seller bid on their items using another ID or had family or friends bid on their items for them. Totally illegal, immoral and unethical.

Yes that is what shill bidding is, but I have it on very good authority that eBay track all kinds of social activity to monitor artificial raising of bidding, something that peers on a forum bidding could easily be misconstrued as.

I believe their view is “if you want to sell something to someone you know, do it outside of eBay”.

Just wanted to put the warning out that ots generally not a good idea to share your auction links with people you know.

Maclean

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up

That’s an interesting thought. I wonder how they go about monitoring it. There’s millions of auctions of eBay on a weekly basis, that’s an awful lot of monitoring.

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Neat idea!

Jen B
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi All and thank you for the warm welcome :)

Maclean – I will definitely be keeping an eye on you blog and I’m interested in seeing your future posts. I’d be really interested in hearing more about how to “go legit”.

Jason – wow, you have a lot of experience! I will certainly keep you in mind (aka – might bug you) down the road with questions!

SuzsSpace – I’ve had a pop onto the Ebay forums and they are certainly full of info, but not nearly as welcoming as here :D

I’ll see you all around!

Jennifer

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up

Welcoming and eBay forums are generally two concepts I don’t use in the same sentence.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.