Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello from AussieWorker

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bizhound
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hello all, firstly saying a big hello to everyone… I recently started up a website and forum and have knuckled down busy working away at my project since. I thought I would join up to keep up to date with things and meet some new people.

Anyway here is my site:

http://www.aussieworkers.com

It is a site dedicated to helping Australian Workers deal with issues in the workplace with the support of others and down the track service professionals too. Sorry that you cant read any content on the forums unless you register, but I just wanted a basic level of privacy because of the subject matter.

It is not technically a business at this stage as I am currently employed but no stranger to having my own small business in the past. My longer term plan when the site and forums gain popularity is to encourage sponsors and service professionals to get involved. I sense that eventually I will need to create a generic business name to support any income there and launch my other small business interest (in planning) using the website to indirectly advertise and promote it.

So yeah, now I am just trying to find free ways of promoting my site to keep costs down… I could spend but it may not be necessary right now. So far I have created a Facebook group to promote it and I have written an E-zine but I am struggling to find free hosting places. I know about the google ads too but I am trying to explore free avenues atm… there has got to be a good handful out there.

Anyway, I’m trying not to make it sound like a sales pitch but I am keen to see how others grow and manage their own small business projects.

Thanks for having me and I hope to be able to contribute in some way.

Cheers

RPL
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

Hi AussieWorker and welcome to the forums,

That is one hell of a bloody good idea! Its both bold and ambitious in its concept and breadth, and I’m very interested to see just where this will go.

Good on you for conceiving this and implementing a simple commonsense online solution. I think you will find many service professionals will want to get involved to their varying level of availability and time, and many contributors will input their thoughts and advice, as well as their own workplace concerns.

I’ll stick my hand up in providing some support in my related field, and I won’t be the last. Perhaps a suggestion that I hope you have some kind of business plan nutted out for development, as that forum could go gang busters.

There is great advice in these forums for web marketing and internet promotions from a range of talented people that you will pick up by browsing, so I’ll limit the this to a single free avenue suggestion of registering with all the local business directories (HotFrog, zpages, Dlook, AussieWeb, TrueLocal, StartLocal, etc) that can handle your business in its current format.

All the best mate, and good luck with it!

cheers, Richard

Bizhound
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Thank you for the encouragement Richard. I am trying to build a strong interest base at the moment through viral advertising (ie. Facebook) to put the feelers out there. It has only been open for a few days now.

The challenge I am faced with is that because this is of a non physical nature (ie, not a car or fishing club) I need to rely a lot on word of mouth at this stage and tapping into existing social networks. I also need to make it look interesting, keep new content coming in and try not to focus on the negatives so much. As a tactic I am using the catch line of “Do you know someone who needs help” rather than “do you need help” as it is not so obtrusive and many people would know of someone who may need this sort of thing rather than looking at themselves.

Once I have flow coming in and can retain active people who see the benefit of staying on and referring others then I can start promoting it to service professionals. Also with the prospect of advertising to fund the site and improve it, I am not looking at big glossy advertisers, but rather looking at advertising opportunities to support smaller Australian business with ‘friendly’ rates.

The project is quite exciting for me and is of personal interest and who knows where it could lead.

I do have a basic business plan but it could certainly do with revision. I have looked into the what ifs and stages of change but short of doing a business course I am going to try to be as prepared as I can be for what possibilities may lie ahead.

Thanks for your interest Richard and thanks for the help!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.