Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello from Corset Corner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Corset Kylie
    • Total posts: 28
    Up
    ::

Hello all,
    My name is Kylie, myself and lovely husband have created http://www.corsetcorner.com.au
    I am excited to be working towards goals of our own, and have been putting in alot of man hours getting things sussed out.
    The biggest challenge has been the web layout, neither of us have had any web design experience, but we wanted to do it ourselves, so there is still a few things that need tweaking.

This week we have begun our SEO campaign, and on site optimisation is the first priority, so changes to those niggly little things should be seen.

Future goals include business to business, starting in regional vic and hopefully expanding, product range expansion and when cash flow improves, we may opt for a proffessionally developed site.

Both myself and husband hail from hospitality management backgrounds, so we are on a huge learning curve, so we are happy to have found this resource of info and ideas.

Thanks!
    Kylie

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Welcome Kylie, lovely to see you here. And you’ve definitely come to a good place to meet other business people and learn from them. The best part of being in business I reckon is the networking and meeting new people constantly.

You say you’re in regional Vic but don’t have a location or phone number on your website to let people know. But I like what you’ve set up so far.

Starting a business does mean many, many man hours in learning, setting up, etc. I think that’s the best way to get to know your business and develop ownership for it. I’ve seen others in the past who have tried to take shortcuts and copy what others are doing, rather than really working out for themselves what they need to do.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy hanging out around here.

Corset Kylie
    Up

Thanks for the warm welcome Kathie,
    Networking is why I am here, I have tried to get involved in a few other small business forums but as friendly as they are, the member base is lacking and questions and threads go days without response. I can see why now, everyone is here.

I’m looking forward to working out where everyones expertise lies so I know just whos brain to pick :)

Your right I dont have my location or phone number online, I may have to add a “about us” page, if it helps conect with customers, it is worth it. I was hesitant with a phone number as I dont have a business phone line yet, and didnt want to involve personal numbers, but I might have to bite the bullet and get one real soon.

Kylie

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Kylie,

Great website. Love the pictures.

Steve

ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    Corset Kylie, post: 122778 wrote:
    Networking is why I am here, I have tried to get involved in a few other small business forums but as friendly as they are, the member base is lacking and questions and threads go days without response. I can see why now, everyone is here.

I’m looking forward to working out where everyones expertise lies so I know just whos brain to pick :)

Your right I dont have my location or phone number online, I may have to add a “about us” page, if it helps conect with customers, it is worth it. I was hesitant with a phone number as I dont have a business phone line yet, and didnt want to involve personal numbers, but I might have to bite the bullet and get one real soon.

Kylie

Hi Kylie

Welcome to FS.

Kathie is absolutely right. I believe “about us” pages are essential on e-commerce sites, as are informative “contact us” pages.

Many e-consumers will not buy from a site that they cannot contact by telephone – I know I wouldn’t. I would also consider having a PO Box address on the website. You want customers to feel comfortable and secure purchasing from you and the more evidence that you are a “real” business based in Australia the better.

I would also consider having a FAQ page. That way you can pre-empt a lot of the questions and concerns potential customers may have, ie how long will it take to receive my order etc etc.

We had the same concerns as yourself about putting our private phone number onsite, but we did this for a while before signing up for a 1300 number which we operate through the computer using VOIP. The cost is very reasonable and it allows you to answer the phone in a businesslike manner. I know if that phone rings its a business call. However when we turn the computer off the 1300 will revert to the home phone (or the mobile).

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Kylie,

Welcome aboard.. look forward to seeing you in the rooms…

Ok, i want to say great website and love the pics like steve, although i think my wife reviews all my web site visits and has a netnanny installed… :o:o

Be well
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    Corset Kylie, post: 122778 wrote:

Kylie

Yes, it would seem that everyone is here. If you don’t have a business line yet, what about a mobile phone? Or you can get a piggy back line that has a different number and a different ringing sound so you know it’s a call for your business. Means you’re not giving out your home phone number then. I can understand wanting to keep that separate. I’m the same.

People like to know that businesses are ‘real’ so having something that helps people to connect with you, even on a virtual basis helps. If you only have a contact form and nothing else, some people are reluctant to make contact, or if the form fails, they have no other way to contact you. And some people prefer to hear a voice rather than to type a message. I read a long time ago about Guerrilla Marketing and they advise that you have at least 3 forms of contact. If you’re new that might not be possible straight away, but generally phone, fax and email are good ways to provide that contact. Fax is probably not needed so much these days but phone and email are definitely good.

kya
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi there, nice to meet you. :) I am sure it really is an exciting time and I wish you all the best for your business and meeting new people also running businesses.

I think you have done a good job on the website. A small suggestion, maybe you could have a front page that warns visitors that some images of content is for a mature audience?

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    ExecAccess, post: 122798 wrote:
    Hi Kylie

We had the same concerns as yourself about putting our private phone number onsite, but we did this for a while before signing up for a 1300 number which we operate through the computer using VOIP. The cost is very reasonable and it allows you to answer the phone in a businesslike manner. I know if that phone rings its a business call. However when we turn the computer off the 1300 will revert to the home phone (or the mobile).

On that note, we offer the same thing but with additional features designed to suite these very needs at $10 per month.

Steve

Corset Kylie
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 122807 wrote:
    On that note, we offer the same thing but with additional features designed to suite these very needs at $10 per month.

Steve

Nice plug Steve,
    I had already had a quick peek at your site, so far it seems to be the simplest solution, I will have a better read when I get home and can access from my own laptop. I will try improve the contact scenario aswell. Might have to play with some drop down menus so I can fit all this in.

K

Tall Trees Eco Store
    • Total posts: 52
    Up

Hey Kylie,

Welcome! I’m also from a hospitality background and have recently moved into retail. And what a amazing learning experience it has been!

Love the corsets (especially my other half!). I’d admire you for building the website on your own and it really is a good way of learning the ins and outs. You’ll find so much information here that will help you with its development and with your business. Not too sure about the pic of the girl looking at the computer (the pink beam seems to go in her mouth and out her bottom??) and perhaps a link back to the sizing chart (or a cut and paste of the chart itself) during the individual item view would be great. I spied a corset I loved but I had to exit out to look at sizing.

Can’t wait to hear more from you Kylie :)

Jodie McLeod
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

A warm welcome on behalf of the FS team, Kylie!

As you’ve witnessed already – these forums are a wonderful place to share ideas, source advice and gather knowledge to help you fine-tune all the different facets of your business. Make sure you have a look over our Startup section of articles, which is an excellent resource for newbies.

Wishing every luck to you on this grand adventure, and see you around the forums!

Jodie

Corset Kylie
    Up

Thanks for the welcome all, only been here a short time and you all have my mind racing with ideas already. The part about sizing not being available from the shop mentioned by Tall Trees Eco Store, is a limitation of the software I am using, but a very valid point, so I made a work around for this afternoon, every product now has a link to sizing (new window so not to lose track of where you were)

Now tomorrow I will dive into sorting out the contact details.
    Thanks everybody

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.