Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello from DesignClub

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #967169
    designclubau
    Member
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hello Everyone,

    I’m really excited to be a part of this growing community.

    We are a fresh start-up site called Design Club which is a design contest marketplace where contest holders can crowdsource design projects from a countless number of devoted designers in Australia.
    Design Club introduces a clever way of having designs done without limiting ones choices to just a few designers, but rather buyers are exposed to a whole community of designers!

    So why we are doing this? We believe there are heaps of highly talented and professional designers out there in Australia who have no medium of presenting their work to the public, and find it hard to catch a break. We want to create a platform where designers can showpiece their work and illustrate their creative capabilities, and at the same time contest their skills within the community of designers.

    Having said all this, we are yet to launch our site. However, we will be making the logo for the site our 1st contest. And of course there will be a prize! So stay tuned…

    Subscribe to our newletter on our site http://www.designclub.com.au , we will keep you updated. Or follow us on twitter http://www.twitter.com/designclubau

    We are looking forward to working with the growing community of designers in Australia and become a well-known name.

    If anyone wishes to contact us feel free to shoot an email to [email protected] , we would love to hear from you.

    Thanks.

    #1024088
    FletcherTax
    Member
    • Total posts: 347
    Up
    0
    ::

    Welcome to the Forums!

    That is truly a great idea and sincerely wish for it to work and become a household name for all designers and creative people out there. It is a very hard industry to crack – so would be amazing if you show high talent on your site and provide people with a foot in the door, so to say.

    Best wishes and look forward to hearing about your progress,

    Janna

    #1024089
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    great…. another crap crowd sourcing site to devalue the industry.

    Next!

    #1024090
    designclubau
    Member
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    0
    ::
    dan, post: 28575 wrote:
    great…. another crap crowd sourcing site to devalue the industry.

    Next!

    Hi Dan,
    Thank you for taking the time to read our post and submitting your opinion.

    By no means have we set out to ‘devalue’ the industry. There will be set minimums at which a contest can be held for. These set prices will be no cheaper than if one were to get a logo or Website done through a quality online site.

    What we are aiming to do is to create a platform at which Australian designers can source more income earning jobs, compare and/or see other designers’ ideas and creations, and last but not least, it will give them a chance to develop themself as a designer. Hopefully, there are many designers out there employed, unemployed, even freelancing, who would love to have a local site like DesignClub!

    This is nothing but healthy competition. In any given industry, competition pushes people to perform and suceed.

    Cheers.

    #1024091
    Jake@EmroyPrint
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hello ,

    First of all, welcome to the forums =)

    I understand what Dan is saying – The problem with a lot of these sites is there is a level playing field given to top rate designers with credentials and experience to high school graduates who have a pirated copy of Photoshop and can charge themselves out at $25 an hour.

    I work in printing, so I get to see the finished product. I spend a good chunk of time on each job having to correct errors that were made by second rate designers – with no qualifications & a lack of skills.

    Also – Jobs are so incredibly varied. Sure, you can set $100 as being the minimum for a business cards – and I’m sure a lot of designers can knock up a business card in less than an hours time.

    But is that ultimately whats in the clients best interest? A hastily designed card, for the lowest possible price? Or an in depth consultation allowing a design + budget to be created based on the clients specific needs?

    I’m by no means suggesting the site won’t be a success, just that there are a lot of factors you need to consider.

    PS: These forums aren’t friendly towards blatant promotion & your post to me seems to be just that. We prefer to connect on a more personal level. How about you give us a a bit of information about yourself, why you are going into business. Maybe then we will consider subscribing to your newsletter / twitter.

    #1024092
    wordmistress
    Member
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    0
    ::
    designclubau, post: 28589 wrote:
    By no means have we set out to ‘devalue’ the industry. There will be set minimums at which a contest can be held for. These set prices will be no cheaper than if one were to get a logo or Website done through a quality online site.

    What we are aiming to do is to create a platform at which Australian designers can source more income earning jobs, compare and/or see other designers’ ideas and creations, and last but not least, it will give them a chance to develop themself as a designer. Hopefully, there are many designers out there employed, unemployed, even freelancing, who would love to have a local site like DesignClub!

    This is nothing but healthy competition. In any given industry, competition pushes people to perform and suceed.

    I’d have to agree. Having read your response to dan, it seems like a great idea. Copywriting is another industry outsourced to $1/hr lowest bidders and whilst I do believe you get what you pay for, it does cut to the core at times.

    #1024093
    Astrid
    Member
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    0
    ::

    If:

    • you can guarantee that young designers on the page get paid the real healthy industry rates so that they can survive
    • you can guarantee that no overseas competition (or local designers who don’t need to live from their work) will break in and bring the prices down
    • you can guarantee that young designers won’t leave more disappointed than they came but have found a way to learn and improve
    • you can avoid any copyright infringements on your site happening
    • you found a way to set up a crowdsourcing site that is not as exploitative as all the others out there

    then it might work.

    But I don’t think you will get any professional designers on your site. Because they won’t find the clients they are looking for there.

    To look at other designers work, to compare against other members of the industry it doesn’t need bidding sites. There is plenty of opportunity on the net to do that, through blogs, communities and associations.

    Cheers
    Astrid

    #1024094
    Past-Member
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up
    0
    ::

    Very well said Astrid. :)


    Astrid, post: 28601 wrote:
    If:

    • you can guarantee that young designers on the page get paid the real healthy industry rates so that they can survive
    • you can guarantee that no overseas competition (or local designers who don’t need to live from their work) will break in and bring the prices down
    • you can guarantee that young designers won’t leave more disappointed than they came but have found a way to learn and improve
    • you can avoid any copyright infringements on your site happening
    • you found a way to set up a crowdsourcing site that is not as exploitative as all the others out there

    then it might work.

    But I don’t think you will get any professional designers on your site. Because they won’t find the clients they are looking for there.

    To look at other designers work, to compare against other members of the industry it doesn’t need bidding sites. There is plenty of opportunity on the net to do that, through blogs, communities and associations.

    Cheers
    Astrid

    #1024095
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::
    designclubau, post: 28589 wrote:
    There will be set minimums at which a contest can be held for.
    Two things wrong with that. There should be no set pricing. And design work should not be a contest. People should be paid for the effort they put in.

    In any given industry, competition pushes people to perform and suceed.

    It also pushes people to cut corners and costs which eventually impacts on the quality of the product or service. Look at any home brand product in the supermarket as an example. They are cheaper than their competitors, but the quality is much poorer.

    #1024096
    designclubau
    Member
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    0
    ::
    Emroy, post: 28591 wrote:
    Hello ,

    First of all, welcome to the forums =)

    I understand what Dan is saying – The problem with a lot of these sites is there is a level playing field given to top rate designers with credentials and experience to high school graduates who have a pirated copy of Photoshop and can charge themselves out at $25 an hour.

    I work in printing, so I get to see the finished product. I spend a good chunk of time on each job having to correct errors that were made by second rate designers – with no qualifications & a lack of skills.

    Also – Jobs are so incredibly varied. Sure, you can set $100 as being the minimum for a business cards – and I’m sure a lot of designers can knock up a business card in less than an hours time.

    But is that ultimately whats in the clients best interest? A hastily designed card, for the lowest possible price? Or an in depth consultation allowing a design + budget to be created based on the clients specific needs?

    I’m by no means suggesting the site won’t be a success, just that there are a lot of factors you need to consider.

    PS: These forums aren’t friendly towards blatant promotion & your post to me seems to be just that. We prefer to connect on a more personal level. How about you give us a a bit of information about yourself, why you are going into business. Maybe then we will consider subscribing to your newsletter / twitter.

    Hi Jake!

    As coincidental as this may sound, my name is also Dan!!! :-)
    I’m a newbie to FS, my apologies for the promo like intro.

    It’s what’s in the clients best interest = VERY TRUE.
    They are the ones who will be offering the prize money and it’s entirely up to them as to what amount they wish to offer. Like all things, it’s true when they say ‘you get what you pay for’. If they wanted to offer say $200 for a logo design, then so be it. But Surely they can’t expect a real pro to do it for that much. The client would have looked around and checked to see what the other sites are charging before giving an offer (i know i would have). This is where the pros and newbies are set apart…the money!!! Who will be willing to do it??? Who knows, but it’s entirely up to the designer. Obviously, newbies will be more interested in opportunity rather than money.

    What I’m trying to say is that there is a market for everyone. As we all know very well, there are people who want to pay peanuts, people willing to pay exorbitantly to get what they want and in between, that’s how all markets are i guess.

    But surely to be able to cater for all types clients on all levels would be a good thing…it would be much better than loosing clients to overseas competitors where they might only need to pay a half a peanut.

    Regards,
    Dan

    #1024097
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Meanwhile the message you are sending out is logo’s cost only $200 and the process is done via a competition. One client tells another potential client and so it snowballs. For the sake of catering to people who don’t want to pay the true cost of design, you devalue the industry as a whole.

    #1024098
    designclubau
    Member
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    0
    ::
    dan, post: 28626 wrote:
    Two things wrong with that. There should be no set pricing. And design work should not be a contest. People should be paid for the effort they put in.

    It also pushes people to cut corners and costs which eventually impacts on the quality of the product or service. Look at any home brand product in the supermarket as an example. They are cheaper than their competitors, but the quality is much poorer.

    Hi Dan, (same name as me!!!)
    The set pricing would be there as a safety net so clients can not offer a ridiculous amount at which even the most inexperienced designers won’t work. We have yet to set minimum limits at this stage, but think of it this way…If say the set minimum was $250 per logo, it would be entirely up to the client to offer what they want. They can offer $500, $700, or even just $250. It would be then up to the designers to choose to enter or not.

    I see your concern about pushing people to cut corners etc…but this is where the pros and newbies are divided. If the client does not wish to pay a nice reward, they surely can’t expect to get a pro working on their project. Yet, just like ‘Home Brand’ products, yes they are cheap, but there’s always people using it and these people like to spend just the bare minimum to get by!!!

    Regards,
    Dan

    #1024099
    designclubau
    Member
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    0
    ::
    dan, post: 28657 wrote:
    Meanwhile the message you are sending out is logo’s cost only $200 and the process is done via a competition. One client tells another potential client and so it snowballs. For the sake of catering to people who don’t want to pay the true cost of design, you devalue the industry as a whole.

    That was not my point, That $200 price was only used as an example.

    I’m pretty sure most of us here have googled around and have a good idea on how much a logo design costs. You have companies charging only $99 to other companies charging ten times more. Which company would I use? Easy choice…I’d look at my budget and see what I can afford.

    If you believe that it will ‘devalue the industry as a whole’, then so be it if that’s what you believe. Just remember, there’s always people out there undercutting others to get business, but the ‘EXPERIENCED & SKILLED PROS’ still come out on top and get the big fish.

    #1024100
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::
    designclubau, post: 28662 wrote:
    there’s always people out there undercutting others to get business
    And you’re encouraging that process.

    Are you a designer? Have you worked in the industry? or are you trying to get a foot in the door?

    #1024101
    sixx
    Member
    • Total posts: 333
    Up
    0
    ::
    dan, post: 28663 wrote:
    And you’re encouraging that process.

    Are you a designer? Have you worked in the industry? or are you trying to get a foot in the door?

    Why is it that designers believe they are the only industry that should be immune to cheap competition?
    There are very few items on this planet where there isn’t a cheaper version on offer.

    That cheaper version is filling a void. It’s not delvaluing anything, it’s simply offering an accepting market a choice. And let’s face it, there must be a market or there wouldn’t be these competitions.

    At the end of the day the cream will always rise to the top.
    A Ferarri will never be as cheap as Hyundi, they cater for different markets.
    Hyundi isn’t devaluing the car market, they are filling a market.

    A billionaire is never going to buy a massed produced house in a housing estate the same way a large corporation isn’t going to get their logo designed in a $200 competition.

    Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.