Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello from Gosford New South Wales

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    thevisionary
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I am new to the site, but have been receiving newsletters for some time.

Basic background:

I have been self-employed in various roles since 1987. Even then, at the ripe age of 23, I realised I wanted to be in control of my destiny. I was into my second job after school but wanted my freedom and control. But it has never been easy.

I was a musician at the time of my parting full time employment so that helped pay the bills relevant to my life back then.

Then I started my own video production business (I had always been interested in recording things for prosperity on audio tape – video was the ultimate!), which led to a career in News after shooting a factory fire one night in my home town of Erina. I was a freelance news camera operator until 1997 when a set of circumstances meant freelance budgets were blown and I suddenly had no clients but a lot of camera-equipment debt.

Worse still, I had made some huge money in the years prior to this, but with no savings skills or good financial advice, I had saved none of it, apart from bought myself a house (which I am still in). I still have a mortgage, however.

I think I had a mini-breakdown and got out of video for some years and into computers. I survived by selling the video equipment I had and fixing peoples’ computers. The business went well, but was only enough to pay the bills.

In 2005 I heard on the grapevine that one of the TV networks was considering establishing a satellite office in my area. I contacted them and offered my services and they decided to use me instead of set up the office themselves. USE ME was the important phrase here (hindsight has shown me). So in return for a paltry retainer to remain exclusive to them, I went into substantial debt once more for camera equipment and started back in news, leaving computers behind.

In May 2009, the agreement was terminated and I am freelance.

So instead of sitting on my butt waiting for work to be allocated to me in return for that retainer, I now have to find it myself. I am now $1000 per week worse off than what I was at the start of May 2009, but I am free, have opportunities and can grow a business once again, this time with a lot of mistakes behind me and a lot of experience to help me avoid making those same mistakes again.

In the very short time I have been freelance again, I have seen incredible opportunity for my business. I can see the agreement I had was holding me back and left me no opportunity for growth. I have some incredible clients now (although this won’t IMMEDIATELY solve my financial stress), but the future indeed looks bright.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences here.

Cheers!

Tristan Boyd
    • Total posts: 55
    Up
    ::

Wow, that’s quite a story. I can’t say that I know much about video production, but I do know that there is a growing market in producing corporate videos for small to mediums for use on websites. Especially in real estate.

Glad to hear things are looking so good for 2009.

Looking forward to hearing more about your business.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.