Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello from Healesville, Victoria

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kelly-Anne
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi eveyone,

8 months ago my IT contract finished up and I found myself pondering the future. Did I really want to continue being at the beck and call of such a fickle industry? Did I really want to be doing this for the next couple of decades. What options did I have? So, I renovated my house for four months and occasionally looked for work… then started to panic. Then I had an idea… then there was research… then there was procrastination. Then in December I purchased a laser engraving machine.

So now I have a laser engraving business operating out of my home in the beautiful Yarra Valley, Victoria. Yay. Go Me.

Expecting December and January to be quiet, I was not disappointed. But now with February rapidly approaching I’m wondering how I make my next steps and how to pay the bills. Networking is something I’ve aleays struggled with but I figure it’s something I need to investigate – so here I am. ;)
    Network Me!
    Looking forward to making some new friends and growing my business and maybe down the line being able to help newbies on their path.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Welcome to flying solo Kelly. Good on you for taking the plug. Times are tough out there so don’t expect it to be an easy ride.

There are many ways to get your name out there and networking is one of them.

Perhaps you can approach some clubs to see if they want any products branded so they can sell them to their members.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Kelly-Anne

Welcome.. sounds like you have a lot on your ‘plate’ excuse the pun…

Networking, networking/partnering and partnering are the key things to do.. i know lots of people suggest networking is partnering, although if you truly identify partnering opps with like or businesses that can benefit from your services for their clients you will have a winner :)

Look forward to hearing how you go.. and seeing you around the forums.

Cheer
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Kelly-Anne,

Welcome to Flying Solo and a big congrats for starting your own (ad)venture!!

Regarding networking, I’d get a clear picture of your customer, then think about which businesses this person is already buying from. Now you have some businesses that are worthwhile getting to know. This might be better than just general networking.

Keep us up to date with your progress!

Dave

Kelly-Anne
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

I’ve joined the local Chamber of Commerce and so far picked up a couple of jobs through them. Woo Hoo. They seem very supportive.

See you around the forums. Cheers,

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Kelly-Anne,

I like your humor, networking should be a snap for you. Just go out and do it.
    Welcome to the forum.

Steve

Totally Awesome
    • Total posts: 63
    Up
    Kelly-Anne, post: 182512 wrote:
    Hi eveyone,

8 months ago my IT contract finished up and I found myself pondering the future. Did I really want to continue being at the beck and call of such a fickle industry? Did I really want to be doing this for the next couple of decades. What options did I have? So, I renovated my house for four months and occasionally looked for work… then started to panic. Then I had an idea… then there was research… then there was procrastination. Then in December I purchased a laser engraving machine.

So now I have a laser engraving business operating out of my home in the beautiful Yarra Valley, Victoria. Yay. Go Me.

Expecting December and January to be quiet, I was not disappointed. But now with February rapidly approaching I’m wondering how I make my next steps and how to pay the bills. Networking is something I’ve aleays struggled with but I figure it’s something I need to investigate – so here I am. ;)
    Network Me!
    Looking forward to making some new friends and growing my business and maybe down the line being able to help newbies on their path.

lol. Reminds me of when I started off with a computer and doing Desktop Publishing (in a previous life) and ended up in the promotional business running 2 embroidery machines, a screen printer, vinyl cutter… and products going all over Australia.

My suggestion, start locally – with the retail and service businesses, clubs etc. And don’t forget your wineries, the sanctuary and other tourist businesses. Put together a flyer pushing just a couple of pens and a small choice of writing styles (The KISS method) .. and a beaut price. That should get the ball rolling for you. Oh yeah, persist door knocking almost always pays off.

RaiseYourGlass
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Kelly-Anne,

I have just started my own business as a civil celebrant and my business is called Raise Your Glass Ceremonies. As a gift to couples that I am marrying I plan to give them a set of champagne flutes and was thinking about getting them engraved……… Are you able to email me at [email protected] so I could get a quote?

Thanks
    Meg

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Can’t wait to see what you do with your business, Kelly. Best of luck!

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Welcome

Flying Solo is a hub information and networking opportunity – best wishes with your new business.

Gail @ VAABS
    • Total posts: 28
    Up
    Kelly-Anne, post: 182698 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

I’ve joined the local Chamber of Commerce and so far picked up a couple of jobs through them. Woo Hoo. They seem very supportive.

See you around the forums. Cheers,

Hi Kelly-Anne,

Glad to see you have joined the local Chamber of Commerce – that’s what I was going to recommend when reading your post. Hubby and I owned the Healesville Motor Inn for 4 years and found the Chamber was a great bunch of supportive people. Healesville is very community-oriented and everyone helps everyone else.

It may also be worth chatting with the people at Yarra Valley Tourism Association. Although your business is not tourist related, they do have members from other industries and some of the wineries, accommodation properties etc. may have need of your services.

All the best for a profitable 2014.

Cheers
    Gail

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.