Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello from Melbourne

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    KellyB
    • Total posts: 65
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I have been “lurking” in this forum for a long time and have gained some great insights into running our small business in the Construction Industry.

My husband & I have built up a very busy and profitable business over the past 10 years, to a point where I need to get some procedures in place and improve our workflow (I have a job outside this business, and 3 kids, so need to work smarter!)

I have picked up lots of tips and even a few contacts from reading this forum so far, so thought it was time to actually sign up and give some help back where I can, and enjoy learning more about small business

Thanks
    Kelly

Mary Gardam
    • Total posts: 192
    Up

Hi Kelly,

Congratulations. Great to hear your business is doing so well!
    I’m glad you’ve decided to join in the conversations here.

Sounds like you are entering an exciting phase in your business.

Welcome to the forum.

Mary

al.giffard
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to Flying Solo and congratulations on the success of your business! It’s a very difficult task to get a business to the point of being stable and successful, so congratulations on achieving that.

The next phase that you mentioned brings with it it’s own challenges, but it’s also an exciting time for you and the business.

I wish you all the best in your efforts and look forward to sharing your journey and ideas on the forums.

Alan.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Welcome aboard Kelly, and thank you for your lovely feedback about Flying Solo.

You sound like a very busy person, but what an exciting phase of business to be entering.

I’m looking forward to hearing more about it in due course.

Jayne

kevcott9
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Kelly
    I’m interested in assisting with your need for procedures. Procedures are one of my passions!!

Some things I’ve found:
    – Keep it simple. You will be bombarded (most probably already have) with procedures that are way too long and complicated. My rule is if the procedure is more than 2 pages long, redo it.
    – Remember your primary audience. Most people don’t go into the construction industry because they are good at English. The auditor is not your primary audience
    – Talk to your building inspector. It will blow his socks off to find someone not trying to put one over him.
    – Use your workers to help draw up procedures. This is a legal requirement anyway.
    – Read the legislation, Codes of Practice etc. on what is required. Most procedures I see have way too much information that is not required.
    – Develop a system that is traceable and stick to it.
    – Don’t put something in a procedure that your are not going to do. It may sound good, but the auditor will pick it up.

I’m in Queensland and work in mining and gas, mostly safety, so am not familiar with Victorian legislation, but they are all basically the same.

Cheers

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up

G’Day Kelly,
    You haven’t said in what area you need procedures and workflow improvements. I’m sure if you ask specific questions in this forum there will be lots of help offered.

easypeas
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

The may be useful for you for helping you handle your workflow & procedures – procedurerock.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.