Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello from Penrith

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    PixelMotion
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

My name is Dean and I am from Penrith NSW. 12 months ago I left my full time employment in IT and pursued my passion of photography and video mixed with breaking news.

I now work as a freelance news camera operator covering breaking news in Sydney. On the “quiet news days” I do photography and commercial video production.

Up until now I have been running on some excel spread sheets and a basic version of MYOB – money coming in, getting by with what gear I have.

Now in 2014 I’m firmly planted in this work I am looking to invest in new camera(s) and start running the business correctly.

So I have come to Flying Solo to learn, read the forums and posts to learn how to better run business, purchase new equipment, lease a vehicle and make sure I’m doing everything correctly and to my best advantage.

Look forward to learning from all the people here.

Cheers,

Dean

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Dean,

Congratulations on what you’ve achieved in your business so far!

You’ll find lots of info on the topics you’ve mentioned here, so I hope it’s helpful for you. Please feel free to ask lots of questions too.

Good luck with the next stage of your journey :)
    Jayne

Michelle Johnson
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

Hi Dean,
    Congratulations on getting through your first year relatively unscathed! It sounds like you are very passionate about your business and I look forward to following your journey over the coming months. I’m sure you will get a lot out of the forums and articles on Flying Solo.

Best of luck and have fun!

Michelle

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Dean, well done on your success. Its good to see someone that is always looking to improve their business.

Yes have good process, systems and tracking you cost and income is the back bone to a successful business. I see a lot of small business owners, doing a lot of the right things wrong.

Its like having the combination to a lock. You may have all the numbers but are using them in the wrong sequence.

Feel free to ask any questions you like and I can see if I can help.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Dean

What an exciting business you are running – congratulations.

FS is a great place to be with other small business owners, it is a wealth of information.

I hope you can make 2014 everything you hope it to be.

Rosella Floral Designs
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Congratulations on your success so far, do you have much experience in the wedding, function and events photography sector?

PixelMotion
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Than you for the welcomes, been finding loads of great info already just reading the threads and posts.

We cover events during the down times, but try to stay out of the wedding scene :) Wedding video may be something I look into in the 2nd half of this year, but at the moment it is just the news work and commercial work.

Thanks again for the welcomes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.