Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello from Perth

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Con Fident
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I have been a lurker for awhile, but thought it a good idea to join, lots of great information here!

Whilst I am not in business, I think I have long held a desire to. All my siblings have run business’ – so it can’t be too hard! :D

I am thinking as I am an employee, I should utilise some time to educate myself in small business management before I take the plunge (what industry I don’t know yet).

Can any of the community members advise if doing a Certificate 4 in Small Business Management is worth doing, or is there another way to learn (besides just doing it!). The Small Business Development Corporation run mini courses in marketing, finances etc – is this enough?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ConFident
    (one thing I need.. ;))

FetchBargain
    • Total posts: 62
    Up

First of all welcome to the Flying Solo.

In regards to your question, I personally do like Mini courses but only o learn something which I don’t know much.

To create your basics you need to go for uni courses I believe but again this is what I personally believe.

I guess you need to see what interests you better. Honestly speaking everyone will be having a different answer in this case.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi ConFident, yes you should read a d study as much as you can. There is a lot of information and books you can read without doing any courses, however I found it best when you apply your knowledge to a case study or real application. It might be as simple as making a list of what you think you need to improve your skills on and then just get better at those.

I find YouTube extremely helpfully, with lots of tutorials to watch and learn from.

If your siblings have a business, get involved as much as you can.

The key is not in knowledge but in application of the knowledge.

KPI,s and understanding the key business drivers is one area that a lot of business owners don’t understand.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Con,

The cert 4 is really a good course. It will assist you to identify areas of running a small business that you would typically overlook. It will also force you to have a good hard look at the feasibility of a business before wasting money on it.

Semester 1 is about to start, its a couple nights a week for 2 x 18 weeks. Just do it.

Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.