Home – New Forums Selling online Hello from Stripe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Stripe Australia
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

My name’s Hamish and I’m part of the Stripe Australia team, heading up user support services. I’ll be working to represent Stripe on these forums, so feel free to PM me at any time if you’ve got any questions at all.

A little about me: I’m originally from Hobart, moved to Melbourne for university, and have been a long time hacker/tinkerer of many types of projects (everything from designing UAVs in China to building hardware for the ISS in Germany).

For those of you that are unfamiliar with Stripe, we’re an online payments platform that instantly allows you to accept payments from all over the world. In particular, we want to enable small businesses and startups to grow more quickly in Australia by utilising our powerful APIs that take the complexity and stress out of online payments. Our domestic processing rates start at 1.75% + 30c per transaction, and are lower if you’re doing a bit of volume. You can check our website for more information (https://stripe.com/).

I’m posting here as I’ll soon be visiting most of the capital cities and attending meetups, and I’m hoping to have the chance to meet some of you in person. I’m keen to understand your pain points and see how Stripe might be able to help you.

In the meantime, if you have any questions around payments platforms, or Stripe in general, I’d be happy to help. You can feel free to ping me at any time at [email protected].

Cheers,
    Hamish

Webslice
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Did I read somewhere you guys now support tokens for recurring payments?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there Hamish, and welcome :)

We have lots of conversations about payment options around here, so your presence on the forum will be most welcome!

To help maintain transparency about your association with the company, could you please set up a forum signature that includes your contact details? You can do that by visiting the control panel (the link is in the grey bar above the forum) and choosing Edit signature.

Thank you, and I’ll look forward to getting to know you,
    Jayne

MD Clean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 308
    Up

Do you do deals for Non Profits – I have one in mind that dearly needs an on-page processor.

Jade Taylor
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Hi Hamish and welcome,
    Just thought I would mention I use Stripe and so far very happy with the service.

Stripe Australia
    Up

Thanks for the warm response guys! I’ll dive right into the questions.

Did I read somewhere you guys now support tokens for recurring payments?

Great question! We do provide tokenized recurring payments through our subscription billing service. In a nutshell, Stripe Subscriptions allow you to save a customer’s credit card details in the form of a unique token that can be linked with your customer’s ID. From there, you can easily create a range of recurring billing plans and then sign your user up to a plan of your choosing. We’ll automatically take care of the billing, and will notify you if any future payments fail. You can read more about our subscription billing here: https://stripe.com/docs/subscriptions

To help maintain transparency about your association with the company, could you please set up a forum signature that includes your contact details? You can do that by visiting the control panel (the link is in the grey bar above the forum) and choosing Edit signature.

Thanks for the heads-up Jayne! I’ve done exactly that, and it’s pleasure to be here :)

Do you do deals for Non Profits – I have one in mind that dearly needs an on-page processor.

Absolutely. Feel free to write in to sales@ or [email protected] — I’m more than happy to help out!

Hi Hamish and welcome, Just thought I would mention I use Stripe and so far very happy with the service.

That’s great! We’re constantly working on improving our service, so it’s always great to hear from happy users.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Happy to help out with any other questions people might have.

Cheers,
    Hamish

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Woohoo, I love Stripe :)

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Hello,

Just a few questions about stripe:

Can you clear up the pricing please, on the website it says “2.9% + 30¢”, and here your said “1.75% + 30¢”

Is Stripe a US company? If so are the costs in US$?

Whats considered a local transaction and whats considered and international transaction and is there a pricing difference?

Stripe Australia
    Up
    LuchiaBloomfield, post: 200707 wrote:
    Woohoo, I love Stripe :)

Great to hear! Tell your friends :)

Gizmo, post: 200738 wrote:
    Hello,

Just a few questions about stripe:

Can you clear up the pricing please, on the website it says “2.9% + 30¢”, and here your said “1.75% + 30¢”

Is Stripe a US company? If so are the costs in US$?

Whats considered a local transaction and whats considered and international transaction and is there a pricing difference?

Excellent questions. Stripe was originally founded in the US, and so the 2.9% + 30c you’re seeing refers to our original pricing in the United States. When moving to Australia, we wanted to provide the most aggressive rates we could, which is why we now offer split pricing in Australia: 1.75% + 30c for domestic transactions, and 2.9% + 30c for international and American Express transactions. All of our Australian prices are in AUD, and include GST (we’re a local company here, so it’s important that we comply with all domestic regulations). You can read more about our Australian pricing here: https://stripe.com/au/pricing

As for the local/international transaction distinction: any purchase made from a card issued in Australia will be considered a domestic transaction, even if the cardholder is overseas at the time of the transaction. Similarly, any card issued outside of Australia will be considered an international transaction for the purposes of your Stripe account (thus incurring the slightly higher 2.9% + 30c rate).

I hope this clears things up! Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.

Cheers,
    Hamish

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up

To anyone using Stripe on these forums, I wanted to know how your going with accepting payments from international customers. I have one site set up using Stripe and we’ve done some a quiet launch (not full scale marketing yet).

I’m currently getting a 20-25% credit card decline rate from internationals and the majority of my customer base is international.

There’s only been about 50 transactions or so, but these are not declines because of insufficient funds, wrong card number, etc – it seems to be because of “potential fraudulent use” because the payment location is in Australia.

Unfortunately, I’m unable to do a full scale launch until something is done about these declines.

Are any FS members experiencing the same thing?

Adam Hodgson
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi Hamish and welcome,

We have just started using stripe for a couple of businesses. Looking forward to it working well.

Regards

Adam

Stripe Australia
    Up
    NickHumphries, post: 201020 wrote:
    To anyone using Stripe on these forums, I wanted to know how your going with accepting payments from international customers. I have one site set up using Stripe and we’ve done some a quiet launch (not full scale marketing yet).

I’m currently getting a 20-25% credit card decline rate from internationals and the majority of my customer base is international.

Hi Nick. Thanks for bringing this up: card declines can be a pain when selling overseas. Luckily we’ve had a lot of success at helping our Australian users sell overseas, and I’ve sent you a PM with some steps you can take to help eliminate the majority of these declines. Let me know how it goes!

Adam Hodgson, post: 201024 wrote:
    Hi Hamish and welcome,

We have just started using stripe for a couple of businesses. Looking forward to it working well.

Regards

Adam

That’s great to hear — feel free to get in touch at any time!

Cheers,
    Hamish

31Degrees
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hey Hamish!
    I’ve just started using Stripe, it’s nice to have options outside of PayPal!
    It’s been easy to navigate and use so far, I’m very pleased!

Brad Turville
    Participant
    • Total posts: 55
    Up

Hello Gents,

I’m using Stripe as my sole credit card facility via Xero and loving it. The user interface especially on mobile devices is great!

cokele
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi Hamish. We are exploring to use either Braintree or Stripe for our new website. We need it mainly for USD but we have checked with your sales team a while ago that the USD received will be converted to AUD. Why is this so? Can you transfer USD to an USD account with an Australian bank? Secondly, why a 7 days lag from the payment date? In USA, this seems to be shortened. Will this shorten eventually?

Cheers
    Ellen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.