Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello from the perfect job

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jan.sullivan2
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    ::

Hi

To introduce myself, I’m Jan, video creator, and I’m very lucky.

I’ve been retired for a little while and really needed something productive to do, and I mean really. If only we could work a little less in our younger years and a little more in retirement, but it doesn’t seem to work that way.

My areas are video making and writing, so I’m having a lot of fun making doodle videos and explainer videos as well as slideshows. I just need to get noticed more now, but there is a big world out there and I’m reaching out.

It’s the perfect job for me because it’s creative, I work at home when I like, and it’s very low stress. I’m so lucky to be living in a time when there is good cheap software for creators, and we have the means of getting our message out to a whole world of potential clients.

So far, I’ve found that I seem to get a better rate of views on LinkedIn with slideshows than I do on YouTube, so that’s where I’m putting in most of my energy. Does anyone have any advice for how to be noticed in the world of video making?

Cheers
    Jan

J.Zkan
    • Total posts: 87
    Up

Hi Jan and welcome to the forums.

You should get a real website up, I’ve noticed you are running your website on a free Blogspot.

jan.sullivan2
    Up
    J.Zkan, post: 240822, member: 85132 wrote:
    Hi Jan and welcome to the forums.

You should get a real website up, I’ve noticed you are running your website on a free Blogspot.

Yes, I’m a bit embarrassed there. It’s on my to-do list. I’m trying to decide between some options and procrastinating too much.

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Welcome Jan,

What an intriguing thread title! With that kind of positivity you are clearly going to do well.

You are in the right place to find help and support for your burgeoning business.

I agree these are exceptional times to be living and working in!

Look forward to reading your contributions.

Sam

jan.sullivan2
    Up

Thanks Sam. Flying Solo is a great resource. I’ve been reading your emails for years.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up
    jan.sullivan2, post: 240821, member: 79960 wrote:
    Hi
    Does anyone have any advice for how to be noticed in the world of video making?
    Cheers
    Jan

Hi Jan,

Welcome, welcome, welcome :)

This sounds like a very exciting time for you and it’s a fun arena to be in. I make a lot of video’s for my product support knowledge base and will be making some marketing ones soon and I know how much fun they are to make.

Does anyone have any advice for how to be noticed in the world of video making?

The first step to being noticed is to promote yourself online, and as J.Zkan said that means a website. Especially in your line of business as your website represents you and your portfolio of work and if it’s high quality that shows your potential clients that you have high standards.

Some of your videos are good and will look better once sorted into a gallery of work on a web site. Once you have your site promote the content through your social media channels (There are some great SEO posts on this forum, so have a read through)

To help you stop procrastinating (I assume the problem is picking a theme) and the best way to help is to know your target market. I assume it’s B2B professionals, so look for clean elegant designs with very easy navigation to save time.

ALSO you need to refine your terminology of video making, I googled video makers and it comes up with people who can do video work for me, rather than presentation videos etc, so have a little think about that too.

QUESTION: How did you come up with the name doodle videos made for you?

Another big area for this type of work is tasking and freelance websites, for example: eLance, Freelancer, Airtasker etc etc These sites let you quote on small projects.

So, put your website as a priority as the people you are trying to attractive will look at your site to help make their decision.

Good luck and keep posting, all of this is just food for thought :)

Cheers
    Mischelle

jan.sullivan2
    Up

Thanks so much Mischelle,

Answers:
    I don’t actually see the website as doing much apart from being a ‘mailbox’, and I see youtube as maim portfolio site. I come from a poetry background and I’m used to NO ONE ever going to a website. I know people will look at this website via being linked to it and judge me badly, so I’m onto it, but my first line of publicity is social media sites.

Decisions are more about how much to spend and how to do it. I still see it just as a box to hold portfolio and to have somewhere for people to click. I have 98% of the skills and knowledge to diy, so should I embark on the project? I have a year of free access to expensive hosting, and will I find it easy/remember to switch it to cheaper in a years time? blah blah blah.

“Doodle videos” – I started doing just doodle videos, but have found the means of making general animation more readily and now do both. It seemed to be a strong word on the freelance sites.

I’ve done some work on Upwork and I’m keeping on with that and other freelance sites. There are pros and cons, but it’s generally pretty good.

It’s all fun and I’m lucky in that a few small jobs go a long way when it’s just me.

Jan

Mischelle
    Up

Thanks for the update Jan,

I was so curious how you came about the name, it’s very original :)

OK, you have filled in all the gaps regarding your website needs, and I agree that a small simple portfolio style website would suit you perfectly, with maybe a little bit about you and how you came up with the name as I love that.

I am excited for you and look forward to seeing some of your work. When I say I make my own videos I do mean product demo videos, and no where near as fancy as yours :)

Cheers
    Mischelle

jan.sullivan2
    Up

Um yes well, I have a better website now, although portfolio and other pages are still under construction. Thanks so much to the forum for the push/shove along. I hope it’s ok. Putting things out there takes some courage – at least it’s better.
    The good thing is that, as I said, I only need a website for a glorified mailbox at this stage, so I’m happy.
    Jan

Mischelle
    Up

Looking good Jan, nice and simple easy to navigate, congratulations.

I know it scary starting up like this and we can be a little tough sometimes but it’s always with the intent of honest help :)

MikeDav
    • Total posts: 163
    Up

Hi Jan,
    Sounds like a brilliant job for a creative person.

I can understand that you have doubts about driving business via a website as the vast majority of sites simply sit there on the internet with nobody visiting them. The reason for this is the majority of the people owning those sites do absolutely nothing to promote those sites once the sites are built.

I drive almost all of my business via the web. I do this both organically and via PPC. My website is constantly being updated and tweaked and I allocate a budget to digital marketing every month.

My advice would be to get some professional digital marketing assistance and look for opportunities to chase down business via the web.

If you can get the internet working effectively for you then it could transform your business.

jan.sullivan2
    Up

Thanks for that Mike.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.