Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello I’m Americo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Americo
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone, my name is Americo and I operate a training and recruitment business. I have always found flying solo to be of great value to me therefore I look forward to being able to pass on any advice where I can.

I’m looking to tap into social networking sites such as facebook given one of my target markets is university students. Would anyone have any advice or suggestions as to how they have gone about this and whether this is a good strategy or just a waste of time.

Thanks

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi Americo – welcome to Flying Solo.

Are you trying to get the uni students to purchase your recruitment and training services? From my experience, most uni students I know have to borrow from their parents or get government funding for training.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what results you wish to achieve? Have you thought of an extra tangent and target parents or career advisors too? Also, what demographics are you looking at? Local or national?

If you could give us some more detail, someone may be able to help you more. Cheers, Karen

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

Hi Americo … Welcome!

And … what Karen said. :-)

Americo
    Up
    KarenC, post: 4317 wrote:
    Hi Americo – welcome to Flying Solo.

Are you trying to get the uni students to purchase your recruitment and training services? From my experience, most uni students I know have to borrow from their parents or get government funding for training.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what results you wish to achieve? Have you thought of an extra tangent and target parents or career advisors too? Also, what demographics are you looking at? Local or national?

If you could give us some more detail, someone may be able to help you more. Cheers, Karen

Hi Karen / Renee,

Thanks for the welcome.

Essentially I am trying to encourage students to pay for a training course which relates to resume, job skills and general career planning. Our courses tend to differ from the university offered ones because ours have role plays, templates and other practical value adds. The problem I have is that the universities and also international colleges tend to have employment and career services in house which means they won’t generally allow you to promote courses on campus noticeboards or uni websites as they compete with theirs. They also tend to provide these services generally at a subsidised cost or even for free. Therefore, my plan is bypass the universities and colleges completely if I can and target the students directly. Some things I have tried so far is, flyers at university noticeboards (where permitted), letter drops to students in local suburbs, ads on facebook promoting the course on the university group pages and the next thing I am going to try is handing out flyers in the city to students on the way to uni / college. I am trying to achieve two goals. First being to promote the courses and get students to register for the course or at lease make an enquiry and secondly, to build up a database over time so I can promote other courses and services via e-mail campaigns through my website. My ideal target market is international students or students in their final year because they usually have the income to be able to afford the courses and are probably going to be the most interested. Initially, I plan to promote these locally in Victoria, then nationally and then overseas if there’s any interest. The suggestion of using social networking sites was proposed to me as students are very much users and its an effective marketing strategy. For example, I found a “group” of university of melbourne facebook users which had over 4,000 people registered. I figured that’s probably a smarter way to go about it than flyers but then I guess one has to try everything.

Appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Renee Barber
    Up

Hi Americo

For your target market, social networking sites are probably a very good strategy to at least test. I would also recommend exploring banner ads on seek.com and other job-related sites. I believe you can also advertise in their job alert email messages.

As for your website, I recommend a fairly high degree of interactivity for this target market. Be sure to include some good tools, such as personality to career matchers, salary look-up tools, trend forecasting and descriptions of various job opportunities. Giving your prospective clients something they can use in their employment search should encourage them to spread the word.

Given there’s an enormous amount of free information on the web, one of your main challenges will be to demonstrate that your service will give job seekers the edge in an increasingly competitive (and somewhat gloomy) marketplace. For this reason, case studies and testimonials will be of great importance. Empirical results, in particular, are generally more persuasive, such as:

• Ninety-five percent of our clients were employed within a month of using our services.

If you have a guarantee, include it:

• If our program does not get you an interview within three weeks of completing it, we will refund your fee.

If you’re accredited, make sure that’s very prominent on your marketing materials as well.

The other strategy I’d strongly encourage you to employ is to create networks and relationships with companies that share your target market, some of which may seem to be competitors, such as résumé writing services, business coaches, etc.

I hope these suggestions help. Please keep us posted.

Americo
    Up

Thanks Renee that’s great and really useful. I’ll ponder those suggestions and think of way to implement them.

Kind regards

Americo.

Renee Barber
    Up
    Americo, post: 4414 wrote:
    Thanks Renee that’s great and really useful. I’ll ponder those suggestions and think of way to implement them.

Kind regards

Americo.

No worries, Americo. My marketing instructors would be pleased to see I paid attention in class. And I won’t say how long ago it was … :-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.