Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello, I’m Polly

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    pollypolkadot
    • Total posts: 55
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I’m Polly Polka-Dot and I am starting a business (haha that sounds awfully like TV AA meetings!).

I’ve been lurking Flying Solo articles and forums for quite some time, but I have never introduced myself previously. Everything on this site has been very helpful for me so far, and I look forward to participating in the forums more as I come closer to opening and the thousands of questions that will bring!
    Obviously, Polly Polka-Dot is not my real name, it is my pinup/stage name, but I do consider it my personal branding (NOT a business name though) and I will continue using this name and persona through my business dealings as I am well known by it in my target market.

I am in the process of starting an e-commerce business, selling (generally) giftware and small homewears/kitchenware. My niche is vintage/retro reproduction. Essentially that means the products I’ll sell will be reproductions of original 1950s-ish era items and vintage themed or styled items (eg repro: reproductions of original childrens board games, eg themed: wrapping paper with pinup print). I don’t want to sell original items as I don’t feel I can be competitive in that field, and my market doesn’t need another mediocre company like that.
    I decided to start this particular business, through my own troubles getting the items that I wanted- not all in one place, overseas sites that won’t ship here, overseas sites that WILL ship but only for criminal amounts of postage etc.

Currently researching and writing my business plan, and next week I am starting a cert 3 Micro Business Operations, which hopefully will be useful, having never run or managed a business before!

Starting out this will be a business run from home, so I will be storing and packaging all the orders myself, with a view to expanding with an office and employees over time, all going well. I do have a specific question about where I can get my stock delivered, which I have just asked here – http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/29405-where-get-stock-delivered.html
    If you are able to help me on that one, that would be amazing.

I don’t have any other specific questions at the moment, but I’ll be sure to ask them in the appropriate threads when I do.

If anyone has any general thoughts or suggestions, let me know! =)

Thanks,
    Polly

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi Polly,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and thank you for introducing yourself. I’m sorry that your initial post got held up in our moderation queue for a while there.

I love the idea of your new venture and will follow your progress with interest. Good luck with your new course too :)

Please feel free to ask questions any time – there is always someone around here who’s keen for a brainstorm.

Good luck with it all,
    Jayne

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.