Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello! New business, new to flying solo!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Hair
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys! This is the first time I have been on this website. My husband checks it religiously everyday even though he doesn’t have his own business – that’s how great he thinks it is :)

I’ve just set up a hair salon at home and would love some advice. I completed my apprenticeship at a well recognised and very successful hair salon, and am struggling to break free from that now that I am working from home. I am getting mixed reactions from people regarding prices. On the chance of sounding up myself, I know my work is worth paying for. I don’t believe that just because someone is coming to my house, I should lack professionalism. I’ve bought professional equipment, coffee machine, LCD and stereo to make it as much of a salon as possible whilst the client is being pampered in comfortable surroundings. The problem is, because of this, I believe I can charge similar to what I was charging in the salon but I don’t know if clients see it the same way. I also don’t want to charge less as I don’t want the stigma that’s attached to cheap haircuts. On the other hand, I don’t have clients knocking my door down so I’m really unsure as to what I should do. Also, I’ve created a page on facebook and was thinking of doing a leaflet drop. Does anyone have any suggestions? Phew, it felt good to get all that out :)

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Hi

Firstly – glad you listened to your hubby’s advice and jumped on the Forums.

You said you recently started so don’t be too hard on yourself. Might be too early to prejudge.

I think you need to concentrate on getting people aware of your services. I would imagine targeting your local suburbs would provide the most value for the moment. Maybe a flyer drop with an emotive/inviting line along with an Opening Special, free coffee, glass of bubbly – which expires within 2 months.

As to prices – hold to your guns. If you reduce your prices after such a short period – you’ll be known for that reduced price and it will be very hard to charge more. As long as you’ve set competitive market prices – you should be fine whilst traffic is established.

Best wishes and look forward to hearing updates,

Janna

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

Welcome Hair,

I love a good hairdresser and would pay a salon price for someone who makes me feel good regardless of whether it’s at home or not. I know a salon has higher overheads but at the end of the day you’re paying for expertise.
    I agree with Janna….get them in first and they’ll find out how good you are. Then they’ll be beating down your door! You can also advertise for free on truelocal etc. I know if I’m looking for a service I always check the net first.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Trish

P.S. Where are you located?

Alison Bova
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hair,

I agree with the others, don’t lower your price. I think you need an internet site to help provide potential customers the right first impression so they can seek you out. The right internet site set to the right keywords can provide potential customers with your brand, where customer service and high quality hair care is very important. Your right, some people that work from home I think charge to little.

But first… You need to define who is your target market? Is it Mum’s with young children? Is it corporate people that like your type of service because you give the flexibility to have appointments later on a specific week night etc.

Once you can literally describe everything about this imaginary person you have created, build your advertising around that.

Do you have great pictures of hairstyles you have completed? Post them on the internet, complete a video explaining hairstyles that your target market would be interested in knowing about. This will help create an internet presence and give you good standing as an expert in your field. Its worth having an internet presence purely for the wedding work you could potentially get. I recently got married last year and they charge big bucks. (That also depends if you want to be mobile).

I hope you go well. I will be trying to gauge your progress via the forum. Are you branding yourself within this profile? Where is a picture of you, what’s your business name? What’s your name? Where do you live? Start to brand yourself. I’m going to your profile now…I better find out more about you or your in big trouble missy…

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up
    Alison Bova, post: 32154 wrote:
    Hair,

I hope you go well. I will be trying to gauge your progress via the forum. Are you branding yourself within this profile? Where is a picture of you, what’s your business name? What’s your name? Where do you live? Start to brand yourself. I’m going to your profile now…I better find out more about you or your in big trouble missy…

Hey Alison,

I’m coming to you if I need a kick up the butt, you’re tough LOL.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

First of all, welcome to the forums.

Secondly, I think I’m going to have disagree with what has been said so far.

I think if I was to have my hair cut at someones home then I would expect to pay less.

When hair is cut in a salon, there is rent, overheads, outgoings, etc etc which are all incorporated into the price of a haircut.

As you are saving money by not paying these overheads yourself, I think it’s unfair that you aren’t passing on these savings to your customers.

– Jake

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I would agree with you Jake… if I was getting my hair washed in a laundry tub and sitting on a kitchen chair.

Now at this point, I will have no jokes from anyone about my lack of hair… OK? :P

But, if I were to go to someone’s “home” for a hair cut, and it was professionally set up and had all the bells and whistles of a premium salon, I would be happy to pay the price.

It does depend on the setup though. Do people have to walk through your house? Do you have a dedicated room set up?

Starting out though you should follow Jakes advice. Try charging the price you want, but giving a 60% off opening special. Get people in the door, let them fall in love with your service, then charge the price.

Charging the ‘full price’ but giving the discount is going to prevent you from being labelled as a cheap hairdresser.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up

@Chris – Thats a winner: “Opening Special – x amount off!”

Heck, I could even print the flyers for you!

– Jake

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hello!

Welcome to the forums.

Matt

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Hair, post: 32107 wrote:
    Hi Guys! This is the first time I have been on this website. My husband checks it religiously everyday even though he doesn’t have his own business – that’s how great he thinks it is :)

Hi Hair,
    Please give your hubby a kiss from me, because that kind of feedback just makes my day :)

Good luck to you and your new business. You’ve already got some great feedback to think about here – hope that it helps! As some of the others have mentioned, it would be great to let us know where you are based, just in case any of our regulars are in the area and in need of a trim.

Congratulations on your progress to date!
    Jayne

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Alison,

I see you’re a newbie too, so welcome to you as well :)

So that we know who we’re chatting with, it would be great if you could post an introduction to yourself and your business.

We’ll look forward to getting to know you.

All the best,
    Jayne

Simple1
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hi Hair,

I understand where you are coming from.

my cousin has just had her first child and is working from home part time and as a part time mother.

her set up is in her garage but looks very professional.

Her garage is obviously not as professional as a salon but her hair cuts, colous, blow-waves and hair ups are A grade.

She encountered the same issue as you.

she managed to overcome them by offering a personalized letter/ introductory offer to her clients for a half price hair cut/color/blow.
    In the letter she included a number of thumbnails of her portfolio photographs.
    The letter had a price next to each service (which she raised by 20%-30%)and the halved price next to it.

This way she was able to a) raise the prices for those who have been paying next to nothing for quite a while and b) show her customers that she was serious about what she was doing.

she had a fantastic response to her letters,

customers understood that she was not just working from home “temporarily”
    and she did not loose any clientele.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Simple

Hair
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Hi guys!

I was very overwhelmed by your responses, it’s nice to know that there’s people out there willing to help people and not ask for anything in return. I’m about to head out so I will jump on during the week sometime to reply to everyone but I have updated my profile. Thanks so much again, I feel like I’ve already made some great friends. Look forward to chatting soon.

Van :)

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up
    Emroy, post: 32164 wrote:
    I think if I was to have my hair cut at someones home then I would expect to pay less.

When hair is cut in a salon, there is rent, overheads, outgoings, etc etc which are all incorporated into the price of a haircut.

As you are saving money by not paying these overheads yourself, I think it’s unfair that you aren’t passing on these savings to your customers.
    Even when you’re working at home you’re still paying rent or mortgage, you still have expenses that you wouldn’t have except for the business. She’s still had to purchase equipment and tools, plus maintenance of them.

A small reduction in price maybe, but at the end of the day you’re paying for the skill.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    Up

@Melinda – Rent / mortgages are a personal thing – not a business expense.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.