Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hello, new member from The Holiday Shoppe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    theholidayshoppe
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

Hello,

My name is Michelle and I have recently started an online shop catering for gifts and decorations from around the world for the holidays from New Year’s to Easter, Mother’s Day and through to Christmas as opposed to the year round Christmas shops.

I’m currently trying to build on my SEO, get my website found and increase traffic and conversion rates all while looking after my 5 kids. I hope to get this up and running to a point where I’m able to stay home and run this business.

Looking for any advice people are happy to give. I’ve found that, due to the very competitive market I’m in, getting my shop out there and noticed by the wider community is currently my biggest challenge. Any tips on what other online retailers have done would be appreciated!

Michelle

redleaftea
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

You have a few issues in your website that will be impacting you (NB. I plucked these from some analysis tools so they may not all be right just whats being reported):

– There are no H1 tags only a single H2 tag (which has your website name in it so should be your H1)
    – You may be using flash which is generally frowned upon (and means anyone using an iThing may be having difficulty with your site)
    – Mobile layout is broken (checked on my phone) you need to work on a responsive template
    – Your meta description is the same on every page; it should be unique (this can be frustrating and I still haven’t got to all of mine yet)
    – You don’t have any in-site engagement (start a blog – announce new products, include creative tips on wrapping presents, etc)
    – gzip and cacheing may not be implemented (I get conflicting results)
    – The only backlinks I can find are from some comments you made on therecipecritic.com, you should submit your site to directories like yellowpages, hotfrog, startlocal, dmoz, etc and work on getting backlinks from as many trusted websits as possible

I understand the frustration but hang in there :)

theholidayshoppe
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi redleaftea,

Thanks for your help, I’m confused by some of the SEO analysis results I’ve gotten around my H1 tags and Page Titles, they don’t seem to match what I’m seeing.

– I’ve added H1 tags to a few pages, it just doesn’t seem to be grabbing them…ugh. Also realised that my individual pages only have H2s so have to go through and add those. My H2 are the page titles, I need to get a small brief on what’s on each page as an H1 tag, a very big job I’m slowly getting through. I want to add quality not just quantity and not overwhelm my audience, it’s a fine line I think.

– I’m using an HTML5 site, I use a lot of mobile devices so shied away from Flash, will have to have another look at the mobile optimised one, I must admit, I’ve let that slide a little while I try and get the main website sorted. Just had a look on my phone and the last home page and footer updates look horrible!

– My blog is a WordPress blog, I have a link to it in my social media bar but I think I need to duplicate it on my site as there’s no way to import it directly. I do drive traffic through there around the holidays with some of my posts, would be great to get click-through!

– The back links are hard! I realised today that my Google+ was dropped off in their recent updates and my Foursquare listing is waiting on verification. Thanks for the extra places to list, I’ll get on to that!

Thanks again for your time, I really appreciate it, it’s a slow process but I’m getting there. Thankfully I was realistic knowing it would take hard work, not just be an overnight sensation!

Cheers,

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Welcome to Flying Solo Michelle!

Congrats for getting started and good luck! Feel free to fire away any specific questions in a new thread. :)

Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.