• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

My name is Chris Bates, from little old Adelaide. I’ve just started up my own IT businesses, and went looking for a friendly little forum for small business owners. Guess what I found?! ;)

My business is called Tech Monkeys Computer Services and my website is http://www.techmonkeys.com.au. I offer a wide range of services, from PC repairs and upgrades, to AV setup and installs, and Website design and hosting.

I think I’m going to find many great reads on this forum, that I hope I can contribute to. And I look forward to networking, and hopefully sharing some of my knowledge.

Cheers,
    Chris

Karl
    • Total posts: 55
    Up

Welcome Chris

Quote:
    little old Adelaide

Your Adelaide attitude is showing ;) I can say that because I’m originally from Adelaide and still have a soft spot for it.

Good luck with your new business and who knows, I might even send some business your way the next time one of my rellies rings me for tech support!

Which side of town are you on?

PCC_Support
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Gday Chris and Welcome to the Forums.

Good to see another I.T Professional join up as well. I have a few clients in Adelaide need urgent support more often then not, so flick me a PM with all of your business details and i’ll forward them on.

Hope your successful mate and all the best.
    Nick

Chris Bates
    Up

Wow! 1 day old and I’m already getting business sent my way! I love this forum already!

kaca: Northern suburbs, so I tend to focus on them the most. However I’m starting out so I’m not too fussy ;)

PCC_Support: On the way! Thanks

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Chris,
    Looks like there is a demand for your services in little old Adelaide! Seems you are on to a winner!

Good luck with the new venture, and thanks for joining in! Love your logo by the way..

See you around,
    Jayne

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

Welcome to all the PC support people. I used to run a computer support business in canberra but now focus solely on backups. I grew to having 4 techs plus myself, then sold the business. If you have any questions feel free to give me a yell.

Kevin

Chris Bates
    Up

Hey Kevin,

I wouldn’t mind picking your brain!

My trouble at the moment is getting those first few customers. I’ve been marketing a product for a “$49 PC Tune-Up”, but not having much success as of yet.

I’ve got a Facebook fan page of approximately 90 followers, so I’m thinking about doing a “first 5 callers get it for $19” promotion or something. I think it’s more a matter of getting my name out there then making the money… Although I could certainly do with the money! :)

Cheers,
    Chris

soliddata
    Up

Thats a common issue Chris,

first thing you need to do is decide what market you really want to work with. Your marketing tactics will be different for home users or small business.

I am sure I have a direct marketing sales letter with monkeys on it (that has worked for me) – let me have a look for you.

Kev

Chris Bates
    Up

Hey,

My advertising has been targeting home users, pushing the “Is your computer slow?” slogan and trying to lull people in like that. Lets face it, 2/3 people would have a slow running computer, but maybe they’re not willing to pay $50 to fix it.

I want to start targeting businesses on two fronts, and I’m going to post some topics in here to get some tips on how to do it. Firstly I want to land a couple service contracts, for the reliable bread and butter income. But secondly, I want to target SMB for websites and having a web presence.

So if you have words of wisdom, feel free to bend my ear! :D

Cheers,
    Chris

Diana
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Hi Chris Bates,

being hopelessly computer illiterate I would happily pay $50 to get it sped up, but live on the Sunshine Coast in “The East”.

I have recently been connected to wireless and have a cable that sits out my front door to at least get 3 bars. The other night I was on the computer and heard a thud outside. Thinking it was a possum I popped my head out the front door and there at my feet was a beautiful python with the most amazing diamond markings on its back. While I grabbed my camera he wandered off and needless to say I don’t put my cable out the front door at night anymore.

Cheers Diana

soliddata
    Up

Nice one Chris – customers already :-)

Another good slogan that one of my resellers here in Canberra uses successfully for home computers is “Fix What Your Kids Broke”.

Anyway, to the more important business, the service contracts are the critical move. I have utilised a system called the Technology Marketing Toolkit (I can give you a URL to use to look at it so I get my referral fee).

I can give you a couple of letters/ads to get you started.

I will PM you.

Kev

Chris Bates
    Up

Hahaha I love it! Might have to steal that one! :D

Thanks for the help Kev, will certainly click your affiliate links for you!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.