Home – New Forums Starting your journey HELP! Can’t get Product Liability Insurance for Baby Skin Care Products

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BubbyPK
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am looking for help from anyone out there. I have started a business manufacturing skin care products for babies, such as bath and body wash, nappy paste, wipes solution etc. I also make Modern Cloth Nappies, and cloth wipes and the like. I make all my skin care products from natural products without harmful chemicals. I use Soapnuts as the Saponin product instead of soap. I don’t import any products. I source all my products online from interstate companies. I sell all my products online via my website and ebay. I will eventually participate in trade shows and children’s markets when my company is more established.

The problem I’m having is finding insurance. I want to cover myself and my products from any unforseen reactions, sickness or injury that may possibly occur in the worst case scenario. I can’t find anyone who will insure me. I have been told that insurance companies are hesitant to insure manufacturers of infant skin care products.

What am I supposed to do? I don’t want to risk it and go with no insurance but what option do I have if no one will touch me?

Please someone help me! :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Sorry to hear you’ve hit this bump in the road :(

We had a real problem finding product and public liability insurance ourselves. Insurance companies insisted on categorising our product as a medical device ?!?!?! We finally found QBE actually had a good look at our product and agreed to treat it as they would a zip and covered us accordingly.

Give them a go, and push past the person on the other end of the phone, to the supervisor if you have to. Otherwise, I’m sure there’s plenty of good, helpful brokers on FS that can help out ;)

Wendy :)

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Andrea at Biz Cover was very helpful for me. You can contact her through
    http://www.bizcover.com.au 02 9328 6125

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

Have you tried using a broker (I use OAMPS?).

I have a friend that makes babies skin care products and didn’t have an issue getting products liability insurance.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

This insurance company may be able to help you; http://www.imar.com.au/. I got a quote from them for my business and it was very good compared to the prices offered by other insurance companies.

BubbyPK
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi everyone!

thanks so much for all the suggestions. I went through the insurance broker Ausure and they gave me a long list of companies that said they wouldn’t cover me….Allianz, AMP, CGU, QBE, Vero, Lumley, Zurich, Calliden, Chartis and various Lloyds underwriters.

I also went to other companies independently, but to be honest I have approached so many I am losing track of which ones they are.

Flower-child is it possible for you to find out from your friend who insures them? and if they needed to do anything special to get them to cover them?

thankyou very much again everyone!

please keep your fingers crossed for me.

kappy
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi BubbyPK
    Are you having any luck?
    I too am struggling to find anyone to insure me at a reasonable price for my baby product. Only 1 came back to me and the premium is ridiculous making it not even worthwhile to do this venture….

Very frustrating..

BubbyPK, post: 83204 wrote:
    Hi everyone!

thanks so much for all the suggestions. I went through the insurance broker Ausure and they gave me a long list of companies that said they wouldn’t cover me….Allianz, AMP, CGU, QBE, Vero, Lumley, Zurich, Calliden, Chartis and various Lloyds underwriters.

I also went to other companies independently, but to be honest I have approached so many I am losing track of which ones they are.

Flower-child is it possible for you to find out from your friend who insures them? and if they needed to do anything special to get them to cover them?

thankyou very much again everyone!

please keep your fingers crossed for me.

Anon
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

Just out of curiosity, how much does this type of insurance usually cost?

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    Anon, post: 86034 wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, how much does this type of insurance usually cost?

Product liability to $10m for our product is $809 a year (including broker’s fees).

Wendy :)

raynor
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

I dont know where your located BubbyPK but utilise 2 different brokers, i would suggest you try ACE-IRM Insurance Brokers at Beenleigh in QLD, they are very good at sourcing public lisbility cover at competitive rates.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.