Home – New Forums Starting your journey Help Help Help!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    OzGal
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi, I am Rach. New to Flying solo and to the business world.

I have been thinking about starting up my own import/export business between australia and india. To begin with i wanted to import paper based products from india to australia, such as paper cups etc.. I have a family member in india who owns such an unit. so i have the supplier in hand.

But now i am struck with how to proceed.
    What are the trade rules and laws.
    How good or bad is the competition.
    Will there be a good profit margin for such products etc..
    These questions have made me doubt my own decisions.

all the articles in this site are just amazing, but little overwhelmed.

could any one give me some solid guidelines, please..

Thank you all in advance.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    OzGal, post: 212734, member: 65615 wrote:
    How good or bad is the competition.
    I think only you can do the research on this as we dont know what paper products you are trying to sell we cant advise on competition. If its products like officeworks sell, than there are many competing business’s, but if it is some obscure paper product maybe not, but really there is insufficicient information to advise.

OzGal, post: 212734, member: 65615 wrote:
    Will there be a good profit margin for such products etc..

Again we don’t know the products, what is you purchase price, are you getting a bargain priced wholesale price, what are you import costs, your sales channel costs,etc, etc.
    Thank we don’t know what a similiar product here sells for.

For anyone to assist you need to provide a lot more information, but if you gather this information you can most likely determine what your margin will be.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Rach,

Congratulations on coming up with an idea that has gotten you excited :)

In my experience, the best way to overcome the overwhelm is to start putting a business plan together so that you can document the answers to all these questions and the many more that you will face between now and getting your business up and running.

As Bert mentioned, the answers to all your questions above are going to be ‘That depends’ until you have a little more clarity around your product range, customer base, volumes, pricing strategy and so forth.

With that in mind, pick one area that you need to research, and start there. (For example, in your case, it might be worthwhile starting with the customs-related questions).

I hope that helps,
    Jayne

ThexArm
    • Total posts: 253
    Up

Hi Rach, It is normal to feel overwhelmed when you are planning to start a venture. It is good thing that you already have supplier sorted out.

If I were you, I would get some samples and find out the quality of the product and compare that with any similar products available in the market here. When you order samples get them to give you the best price that the could do.

Take that price and add all the costs such as freight, transport, customs, insurance etc and arrive at the cost into your warehouse. Then estimate the costs for admin and selling, warehousing etc to arrive at the total costs. Look at the margins you want to make to find out the price you want to offer your product in the market. Compare that with what is being offered in the market. Again you need to think whether you want to retail or wholesale. If retail, who would be your customers? If wholesale then who would be your customers? Talk to couple of these guys about your product. Is it still feasible to going any further? If it is then congratulations! It takes a lot of work to get there though.

It is important to research the market before placing the order. Getting the products into your warehouse is not hard but getting them out of your warehouse and into the market and in the hands of a customer is the hardest thing.

Good luck.

OzGal
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

thanks for ur replies all.. i will start my research and get all the info and possibly some samples to startup to check the market..

Peter Wang
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi:

I think the cheapest paper prodcuts should be in the 2 dollars shop. It has alreay exisit a lot in the Australian market, most of them came from Yiwu, China. I am not sure of the cost but it’s definantely cheap.
    I suggest you find some Chinese suppliers and get there quotations, and compare with yours. If you have the cost advantages then you can start to talk over with those retailers.
    It is really a goods time for you to start this business, because the exchange rate between AUD and RMB depreciate a lot, so this means Australians import from China will be a lot of more expensive, so if can find a cheap products I think those shop owner will be very glade to repalce their supplier.

Your sincerely

Peter Wang

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.