Home – New Forums Get productive Help how to find the right person to work for you

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    allyoop
    • Total posts: 24
    Up
    ::

This is my third year building up my cleaning company we started of with one client and now we have 39 private clients and 6 small business clients so pretty much been working 24/7 building the business my question to you all why is it so hard to find the right person to hire to work a 15 hour week for us have had one epic failure where the person was nothing but trouble went through verto employment company and they found us some one but she did not want to do the work was only interested in the money never turned up in time for work and never rang if she was sick we have now hired some one else but its getting to the point i am tearing my hair out never turns up on time wants to do thing her way not our way can never get hold of her when need her she does not tell us if any equipment needs looking at ECT sorry i am ranting but just over it all

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

I would never go through an employment agency – just my first two cents
    :)

Anyway, it is difficult to find the right employee and sometimes you have to think a bit laterally. Maybe try word of mouth, and look for someone older and with OCD or aspergers as they tend to be pretty reliable, do a good job and do it well even if they can be a bit slower to get it done to their high standards. You have to be flexible though and see beyond the little quirks.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Rowan @ GardenLarder, post: 206099 wrote:
    I would never go through an employment agency – just my first two cents
    :)

I have to agree with this, I to tried to get someone thru an agency, but they just didnt do any reasonable pre screening, and they just sent me people who I knew straight off wouldnt be good.

Although a different iindustry, but we are looking for similiar people (eye for detail, timely, efficient, etc). I think what I found was the people who I employed who were good, also had the get up and go to go out and start their own thing or get the next job in their master plan. Whereas the people who will stay in our industries don’t have the get up and go, and they are normally the ones who are not as good or just straight out slack. My disclaimer on this statement is that this is a generalisation, and is not directed at any real or living human being (think thats how it goes).

I have employed several people and 2 of them were excellent, but I knew from day 1, that they would not be with my business for more than 12 months, becuase they just had more in them than doing the work we are both offering. Whereas the slackers or just bad operators, were the ones that wanted to stay, but I had to give them a little shove, and it was purely because they could not get anything else.

It all comes down to interviewing the people, getting your questions right, ie. not just ones about how you clean something, but questions which will elicit more about their work ethic, the 2 good ones I had, actually didnt like gardening and hadnt done much themselves, but they had great work ethics, and they applied that to the job, and did great jobs,

I know a lady who runs a cleaning business and has about 20 people working for her, and she still gets it wrong, so it is a case of hang in there. She has found some of the best people to employ are those who are looking for our type of jobs is someone like mums (sexist i know), who just want to fill in the time after school drop off, but before pickup. As they cant go and get full times jobs, and often is is only your style of business that can give them what they want.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi allyoop,

Welcome aboard the forums!

What if you look for cleaners advertising for work in your area (Gumtree, newspapers, noticeboards)? These people are already cleaning and have enough drive to seek out further work, and might appreciate supplementing their existing work.

Good luck and we hope to see you around the forum. :)

Dave

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    FS Forum Support, post: 206129 wrote:
    Hi allyoop,

Welcome aboard the forums!

What if you look for cleaners advertising for work in your area (Gumtree, newspapers, noticeboards)? These people are already cleaning and have enough drive to seek out further work, and might appreciate supplementing their existing work.

Good luck and we hope to see you around the forum. :)

Dave

great idea, accept my friend tried this and found they then tried to poach the clients, because they would then undercut once in, and it very hard to come up with a non poaching agreement.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Finding the right person is always tricky – one suggestion that may work is to look at Mum’s who are looking for around the 15 hours you are offering.

I have found that getting Mum’s to work when their kids are at school can really be beneficial for both parties.

You have a worker who is grateful to find a job that fits in with their kids and they have a job that brings a little extra money into the home and is fits in with their kids.

Just keep looking – I know that your industry has a reputation for being difficult to find the right people to work, they are out there, you just have to keep looking.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I used university students some times, semi retired people and even the odd bloke from the pub who wanted a few hours work to help pay for his booz.

Finding the right staff is extremely hard in the cleaning industry, but youcould always contact John Laws from the Australian Contract Cleaning Alliance or Barbara Connelly of the BSCAA, they may be able to direct you to the right person for staff.

MD Clean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 308
    Up

Think about it from your cleaners point of view – nobody can make a living on 15 hours per week. All of the very good cleaners I know are hungry for more jobs because it means more money.

My best cleaner made over $1200 last week, pretty good for the industry and it means she can have the kind of life she wants – she has worked for me for 3 years and I don’t see her leaving soon…. and she still has another job!

Because of her great cleaning ability, it is always tempting to give her all the difficult jobs but I make sure at least half of her jobs are easy (the ones the cleaners like doing) to make sure she has a balance.

Trying to achieve a balance between all stakeholders (me, the cleaner, the customer) being happy is the key to having great workers that are happy and are assets for the business.

I use a pyramid type of approach where my top cleaners get the option of all new jobs – this works for them if they need the money because they can earn more.

It works for me because they are the most reliable, do a great job and have good communication.

It works for the customer because they get a great cleaner who always has a smile on their face and are happy to do little extras on request.

The other cleaners I have, all have other jobs and some are even running their own cleaning businesses – I don’t mind at all as long as they don’t poach my customers (I have had 0 customers poached in 5 years).

I am very mindful of my requirements but also that everybody needs to make a living the best way they can so it needs to be a good deal for me AND for my subbies. Like others have intimated, there needs to be a good “fit”.

For key jobs, it is a good idea to have people work in teams of 2 so that if one is sick or unreliable, you have in-built back up and putting together experienced with inexperienced is key too so the experienced person is responsible for the quality (sometimes I will pay this person more as the job/money allows).

Once the new person is bedded in, then you can use them in different ways if they prove themselves and are available for more work.

Even though my business is growing rapidly, I haven’t had to recruit for over 2 years because people like working for me and they refer their friends.

For a basic criteria, seek out people that:

1. Have a good work ethic
    2. Is a happy person (they won’t be serial complainers)
    3. Takes pride in any job they do
    3a. Takes responsibility for the quality of work they do

Then:

4. Willing to listen and learn
    5. Flexible approach
    6. Responds quickly to communication

Remember to thank your cleaners for a job well done and always pay them on time, without fail.

In the original post my feeling is that you need to run a million miles from the person you have – an unreliable cleaner will be like a cancer to your business.

If you want more info PM me – I worked in management and recruitment for 20 years before this business.

Congrats on growing your business and good luck.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Thanks Paul that is some of the best advice Ive seen in quite a number of years, and it just dosent refer to cleaning staff.
    We should all take note.

ThexArm
    • Total posts: 253
    Up

Great post and great advice MD Clean. Thank you for sharing with us all.

I can easily see your employee management skills. You care for your employees and in turn they look after your business. A lot of times we worry and complain about getting right person but we fail to see it from their perspective.

You have given the perfect blueprint.

John Templeton
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

Great reply Paul. It’s info that is pertinent to all industries and something we can all take on board.

audreygreenwood
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

I feel for you mate. We have some part timers like that who help us . It takes time to find that trustworthy employee and sometimes it’s just part and parcel of life when we come across that bad egg who just isn’t dedicated to their work. The only thing we can do is to keep an eye out for slackers and good-for-nothings like them and cut our losses as soon as possible, then move to the next person. Don’t fret. You’ll find someone who fits the bill soon enough!

ThoughtMeter.com
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

I would also take a look at a potential employees social media pages. A little bit of a review can tell a lot about a person in some cases. Having said that, be careful not to prejudge. Our daughters swimming teacher is the nicest girl you’d meet but after hours she was a death metal rock god chick! (I think they call them emo)!!

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    ThoughtMeter.com, post: 207790 wrote:
    I would also take a look at a potential employees social media pages. A little bit of a review can tell a lot about a person in some cases. Having said that, be careful not to prejudge. Our daughters swimming teacher is the nicest girl you’d meet but after hours she was a death metal rock god chick! (I think they call them emo)!!

Just one other little thing if you want to go down this path, make sure you get the right “Joe Blow” when you look up their page. I have known at least one person who when they asked why they missed out and were told we checked facebook, and didnt like what we saw. If you saw this persons facebook page there was nothing wrong, in fact all good stuff. When they pressed further the employer had just picked the wrong “Joe Blow” and assumed that was them.

ThoughtMeter.com
    • Total posts: 41
    Up
    bb1, post: 207793 wrote:
    Just one other little thing if you want to go down this path, make sure you get the right “Joe Blow” when you look up their page. I have known at least one person who when they asked why they missed out and were told we checked facebook, and didnt like what we saw. If you saw this persons facebook page there was nothing wrong, in fact all good stuff. When they pressed further the employer had just picked the wrong “Joe Blow” and assumed that was them.

Good point,

Im not saying this is the only “path” but it should be part of the process.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.