Home – New Forums Starting your journey Help in choosing a business name for a bookkeeping/accounting business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    awoods
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi

I am in the process of researching and setting up a new bookkeeping / accounting business as I have relocated to the Sunshine Coast from Sydney recently.

I am wondering if anyone would like to help me in naming my new business? (please!) I’m an accountant and have got a complete mental blank for this. The business name I used in NSW isn’t one I’d like to continue using and I would prefer a business name to using my own name.

Some info on the new business / me: I am a degree qualified accountant and I intend to market my services to small and medium businesses, offering them basic bookkeeping through to being an oncall / part time Company Accountant. I am a BAS Agent and have no tax experience.

I’d like to have a professional name so I can approach Tax Agent’s / Accountants with confidence, and I’d like to avoid using “Bookkeeping” in the title, because I think it limits my focus. In Sydney my main clients were for financial & management accounting, and not just basic bookkeeping, and I’d like to market myself the same way here.

With the new national business name register with ASIC it’s harder than ever to come up with something that hasn’t already been taken and I’d like something that is fairly short and easy to remember (I’d like the domain name for it too). Not too much to ask..

If anyone has any suggestions I’d love to hear from you.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this,

Amanda.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Amanda,

What an interesting dilemma.

Have you had any ideas so far that you’d like to share with us? Any tips you can give people to point them in the right direction would be great I think.

And welcome to the forum too, by the way.

Jayne

Z4CHARI
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

4-Counting

Solid Numbers

Your Money Matters

Six Counts

Ninefold Accounting

Twelvefold Accounting

2772 Book Keepers

Account Keepers

There is some names you could brainstorm around, but what I suggest is you think about your target market and brainstorm around them too, because it’ll be able to help you on your quest to find and create a wicked business name.
    Doesn’t matter how long or short it is, it’s how effective it comes across to your potential customers.

P.S. you could also add something to the business name that is personal, or something that relates to you. I found that it made me excel more as It’s representing me. :)

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

With the new national business name register with ASIC it’s harder than ever to come up with something that hasn’t already been taken

Hi Amanda – you raise a really good point on this – don’t forget, once you have come up with a name you like to also ensure no-one has registered the same/too similar as a trademark. The national business name system is going to make trademark registration, in my opinion, more sought after than ever before so you need to ensure that you’re not stepping on any toes there.

I think Z4CHARI has started a great list in his post, which might (hopefully) help get over the ‘blank’ you are having with the name :)

I am not particularly creative in coming up with names, but wonder if you can incorporate the Sunshine Coast with your target of small/medium business? Sunny Solutions?

All the best with it :)

nikkiiwhite
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

A colleague just recommended this site to me as I too am trying to come up with a new business name to re-brand under. I haven’t actually used it as yet, but it looks good.

http://www.namingforce.com/

LuckyDip
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

There’s a site called http://nameboy.com that may also help you over come the creative blank.

Or, just grab your thesaurus, pick a word you like and look at the synonyms until you find something that grabs you. I just did a quick thesaurus check in Word and came up with Vivid Accounting (haven’t checked if that’s available).

Good luck :)

Geronimo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 237
    Up
    awoods, post: 118697 wrote:
    Hi

… I’d like to avoid using “Bookkeeping” in the title, because I think it limits my focus.

This was the point I was going to make, but you’re already across it. I’ve found that my offering has changed over the years, but have a very narrow business name. I’m in the process of changing it to something generic, so that I don’t run into this problem again.

Z4CHARI
    Up

Amanda,

If the names I previously suggested still aren’t coming through or giving you a hunch in thinking of a name. This is what I do and still to this day, help others do when they’re thinking of a new business idea, or name to register.

Step 1)
    Go make a coffee/tea or what ever you love to drink of a morning and get comfortable, the last thing you want to do is be uncomfortable… that’ll throw this whole exercise off.

Step 2)
    Grab a pencil and an eraser with a notepad.

Step 3)
    Clear your head, get in a very relaxed state of mind.

Step 4)
    Once relaxed, your head cleared, start doodling. Yep. Just start drawing the first thing that comes to mind when you think about; Accounting, Book keeping, Finance, Numbers.

Step 5)
    After you’ve doodled, now try and add words to the images you drawn.

Step 6) Go back to your day, and at the end of the day do some more doodling. do this for about a week… You’ll have more then what you could imagine to choose from in names, and logos. Plus it makes the whole branding process for your self easier..

Hope this might help.

P.S. You don’t need to be an artist… I still draw like I’m 5 with a pencil, but on the computer I can be a god. ;)

Stephen Forde
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

With a personalised business such as this, why wouldn’t you use a family name? It seems standard practice for accountants/lawyers to do so.

I think you need to think more about how you will be marketing the business. Are you going to build brand or are you going to focus on what you deliver? It sounds like you are focusing on what you offer, so that being the case, be direct. Get as close to the “keywords” your business offers as possible.

If you choose brand over services you will spend more time trying to achieve the core focus of the business to people it is not immediately evident to.

awoods
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thanks Z4CHARI for taking the time to make a list of suggestions and I appreciate your creative process – I’ve just made myself a cup of tea :). I’ve been googling and using an online theasaurus to make a huge list of words that are associated with accounting / bookkeeping etc. but I feel that they are just words plonked together (eg. Exact Accounts – which is already taken anyway!). I was going to buy a large scrapbook, with blank pages, so I could draw out some marketing / web materials – so I think I’ll incorporate that into it too. I do like Account Keepers and have already added it to my list for checking availability.

Thanks Jacqui for your comments – every name I have come up with is taken or is too similar to another to be approved. I am the opposite of creative with words!

Thanks Nikki and LuckyDip – I will look at the links you posted now.

Hi Geronimo – that’s exactly the problem I want to avoid! (I feel I did that too, with my old business name) Businesses do evolve over time, especially when other services are such an easy / obvious / convenient add on later, so it’s good to think about it up front. It’s hard enough to come up with a business name that’s availabe in all respects and appropriate for your business – I don’t want to do it again, either! I hope you come up with something great.

I think my biggest problem is I feel like anything I come up with sounds silly / unprofessional, but when I hear what another business is called, I accept it and think it’s okay – or for some, think nothing of it.

Z4CHARI
    Up
    awoods, post: 118798 wrote:
    Thanks Z4CHARI for taking the time to make a list of suggestions and I appreciate your creative process – I’ve just made myself a cup of tea :). I’ve been googling and using an online theasaurus to make a huge list of words that are associated with accounting / bookkeeping etc. but I feel that they are just words plonked together (eg. Exact Accounts – which is already taken anyway!). I was going to buy a large scrapbook, with blank pages, so I could draw out some marketing / web materials – so I think I’ll incorporate that into it too. I do like Account Keepers and have already added it to my list for checking availability.

Thanks Jacqui for your comments – every name I have come up with is taken or is too similar to another to be approved. I am the opposite of creative with words!

Thanks Nikki and LuckyDip – I will look at the links you posted now.

Hi Geronimo – that’s exactly the problem I want to avoid! (I feel I did that too, with my old business name) Businesses do evolve over time, especially when other services are such an easy / obvious / convenient add on later, so it’s good to think about it up front. It’s hard enough to come up with a business name that’s availabe in all respects and appropriate for your business – I don’t want to do it again, either! I hope you come up with something great.

I think my biggest problem is I feel like anything I come up with sounds silly / unprofessional, but when I hear what another business is called, I accept it and think it’s okay – or for some, think nothing of it.

You’re quite welcome!
    Just remember to keep calm, and relaxed about it :) If you’re stressed go for a 5 min breather, make a nice yummy tea and listen to some soothing music. I sometimes do it. Haha.

That scrapbook idea sounds great!
    Yeah ‘ Account Keepers ‘ attracted me too. You should also look at it from a clients or ‘ first impression ‘ point of view, what type of message do you want to put across to your potential customers. :)

Hope you do well!
    Definitely discuss your results though I’d love to hear it!
    If you need any help with anything else, you can PM me anytime or reply to this thread :)

Gooooooooood luuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!

SmartBizBlog
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Back in Black Accounting – Sunny Coast has a tonne of ACDC fans who will love it :)

And for anyone who doesn’t already know this is a word play.

BBS
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi Amanda

Relax…..it will come.

Suggest you go with a more generic name and just make sure that you have “what you do” incorporated somewhere around your logo and name.

Our overall identity is made up of a logo, business name and the words “Accounting & Bookkeeping” and appears on all of our stationery, marketing, business cards etc.

As the business develops, we can easily change the “Accounting and Bookkeeping” to encompass a more appropriate reflection of our services, whilst leaving the logo and business name unchanged.

Good Luck
    Bruce

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Oh hi!

Firstly congrats on the new biz.

First impressions are so important.. and naming is hard work!

I am a brand namer, http://www.thegoldengoose.com.au/naming/

Some further information/tips here: http://www.thegoldengoose.com.au/2010/12/16/mines-is-better-than-yours-business-naming/

I also offer Mini Brand Consults which are one hour phone consults – you could choose to get some feedback from me for possible names if you like.

Best of luck!

BruceR
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Hi Amanda,

As an accountant as well I went through the same thought process and have recently even considered rebranding to a name which better described what I do. However I decided against that as I don’t think the name is really that important to getting the message across (and Numberz isn’t that bad!).

A short name is good but can never never really convey everything (anything?) that you want it to……

Good luck with your decision and with the business!

Bruce

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.