Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Help me find the 10 most annoying website features

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Chris Finnegan
    • Total posts: 85
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys,

We all have pet hates when it comes to website features, but some things turn away more website visitors than others! I’m conducting a survey to find the 10 most annoying website features which I will share in a future blog post.

You can take the survey here http://svy.mk/pxkY4W. Rate them from “1” I can live with this, to “5” I’m out of here!!

Thanks in advance for your time,

Cheers
    Chris

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Hi chris

Here is a post I wrote a while ago about this. http://awebsitedesigner.com.au/ready-to-go/characteristics-of-a-bad-website/

I’d add music and flash to that.

Also I think there was a flying solo article on this topic a few months back that was quite good

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

I dare say none of these instantly make me stop browsing a website. They just severely erode the trust and respect I have for the website. Meaning that I am not going to buy from them, I just want the information I’m looking for – or to use them for comparison purposes.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Done for you, and added:

‘Online Quote’ which is actually just a contact form.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

As Dan mentioned, a previous thread has a lot of replies which you might like to add to your survey answers Chris

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/other-discussions/13335-most-irritating-things-webpage.html?highlight=annoying+popups

Wendy :)

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Filled it in for you – for sure some annoying things on there :)

One thing I forgot that I just thought of is…… those big “push down” ads that come down at random times and if you’re reading you can lose your spot.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I agree with Condor – those huge ads that take over the screen annoy me so much I give up and move on. And anything with Flash.

Chris Finnegan
    Up

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for taking the time to complete the survey and provide additional suggestions.

The survey is receiving a great response which will add real value to the results.

If you can help spread the word or suggest how I might do so we can get some really comprehensive results which we can all learn from.

Thanks
    Chris

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

websites with autoplay videos really get on my nerves.

tayjooann.com
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

flash.

i really hate flash. especially those you can find a ‘skip’ button on. painful.

Canex Graphic Designs
    • Total posts: 222
    Up

Great topic :)

Like many others have said – those big ads that cover your screen or push your page down! Can’t stand them.

Auto play music is another that I can’t stand!

calebmarshall
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

Along those lines of annoying ads, I can’t stand websites that have ads that follow you down the page as you scroll.

Even worse I can’t stand when this is built into a direct-response element such as a contact form, regardless of the fact that it’s highly effective in terms of response rate.

nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

I’ve filled the survey and waiting to see the full results :-)

I have identified the following on our website:

+ Pop-ups – Newsletter sign-up (only on some of the inner pages)
    + Unprofessional design that is clearly dated or DIY (I’ve done some work myself, but I mostly it was done professional)
    + Low quality or distorted graphics + Huge logos (the logo is distorted on some browsers)
    + Black background with white text (not every where, I think it looks good)
    + Spelling mistakes and poor grammar ( even after having a few copywriter, I still manage to make room for my bad English)

Can you spot any more flaws and irritations? http://www.nominal.com.au

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    nominal, post: 86996 wrote:
    I’ve filled the survey and waiting to see the full results :-)

I have identified the following on our website:

+ Pop-ups – Newsletter sign-up (only on some of the inner pages)
    + Unprofessional design that is clearly dated or DIY (I’ve done some work myself, but I mostly it was done professional)
    + Low quality or distorted graphics + Huge logos (the logo is distorted on some browsers)
    + Black background with white text (not every where, I think it looks good)
    + Spelling mistakes and poor grammar ( even after having a few copywriter, I still manage to make room for my bad English)

Can you spot any more flaws and irritations? http://www.nominal.com.au

It’s good to see you can point out your sites flaws. This means you’re willing to accept they’re there and are open to improving them…. at least I think it does lol :)

Chris Finnegan
    Up

@nominal – Thanks for completing the survey! I’m pleased to see your using the survey questions to think about your business website. This is exactly the purpose – to measure the response from internet users, and use that data to improve your website.

Here’s the link again for anyone wanting to take the survey http://svy.mk/pxkY4W

Thanks
    Chris

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.