Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Help me find the 10 most annoying website features

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total posts: 40
    Up
    ::

I’m going against the grain, but playing devil’s advocate…

In many instances “those annoying tactics” are used because they’re effective. Annoying maybe, effective – very often yes! That’s why they persist.

The purpose of your website plays a big role in what you create and what tactics you use.

The trick every website owner need to remember is – test, test, test. Try your site and your audience with it and without it – dropdown newsletter signups, popovers, and so on.

Having said that, I do agree some websites should be “shot on site” ;)

Chris Finnegan
    • Total posts: 85
    Up

@MargaretO The majority of the 27 features listed are not deliberate marketing tactics, but the effects of a lack of time, budget, or knowledge.

Yes some of the “annoying features” in the survey are used by particular niches to get results. But it is a fine line between getting results and turning people away, so they should be used with caution.

As you’ve suggested testing and measuring changes in website visitor behavior is the way to go:)

Thanks
    Chris

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Have done the survey, but the two I detest most:

Flash landing pages – I’m not sticking around 10 minutes to wait for your “very clever” page to load.

White text on black background – it gives me a headache and messes up my vision for a good half hour or so afterwards.

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    ClickWebDesign, post: 87050 wrote:
    @MargaretO The majority of the 27 features listed are not deliberate marketing tactics, but the effects of a lack of time, budget, or knowledge.

Yes some of the “annoying features” in the survey are used by particular niches to get results. But it is a fine line between getting results and turning people away, so they should be used with caution.

As you’ve suggested testing and measuring changes in website visitor behavior is the way to go:)

Thanks
    Chris

I guess it’s a question of…… how many customers you bring in with this “effective” marketing vs how many you annoy and don’t come back.

Chris Finnegan
    Up

Hi Guys,
    Really appreciate those who have taken the time to complete the survey. The results are starting to settle and I’ll be sharing them in a blog post to be published next week. If you’d like your opinion to count, it’s not too late!

Chris Finnegan
    Up

Well the survey results are in, a big thank-you to those who had their say!

Are You Scaring Off Your Customers? The 27 Most Annoying Website Features!

Check your website against the list, particularly the top ten!

Cheers
    Chris

DanielM
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

I absolutely hate those ads that creep over your screen consistently, ads with noise and spam ads that appear in another window.

These are the things that diminish my online experience.

Daniel

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

the funny thing is that some of these features are annoying to non buyers but extremely helpful to the warm and hot prospects who turn into paying customers.

We have to remember that the idea is not to look clever or pretty but to generate sales and if that requires an “ugly” video made up of powerpoint and your voice then so be it..

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.