Home – New Forums Selling online Help me! I’m addicted to Blogs!

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #982008
    Fiona @opshoppers
    Member
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi,

    My online store was built using a cart that is very blog unfriendly. Sure, I can insert the text and the images but it’s nowhere NEAR as sexy as a customised WordPress/Tumblr/Blogger etc.

    I have recently created a Tumblr blog for my business. It’s image saturated. It’s connected to the Tumblr community. It’s where my target market hangs out. IT IS DELICIOUSLY SEXY.

    My obvious problem is that my business has 2 blogs. Lame. Have you ever maintained two separate blogs on a daily basis? I’m about to have a breakdown.

    My question is this. Can I somehow insert my Tumblr blog INTO my website? Would I want to? Are there any other options?

    Any advice welcome!
    From Fiona @Opshoppers

    #1134201
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::

    Have a look at Squarespace, I’m always flogging it I know, but you can import from, Tumbler, WordPress, Blogger, Posterous … not sure what else, you can trial for 14 days and have a play with it, some of the templates should suit … or you can hack them if you can code a bit.

    Now has a built in Ecommerce module, domains etc are easy.

    I have several client sites running on it. If you like it and get stuck, send a PM and I’ll see if I can help.

    #1134202
    Fiona @opshoppers
    Member
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    0
    ::
    estim8, post: 152817 wrote:
    Have a look at Squarespace, I’m always flogging it I know, but you can import from, Tumbler, WordPress, Blogger, Posterous … not sure what else, you can trial for 14 days and have a play with it, some of the templates should suit … or you can hack them if you can code a bit.

    Now has a built in Ecommerce module, domains etc are easy.

    I have several client sites running on it. If you like it and get stuck, send a PM and I’ll see if I can help.

    Thanks a lot, I’ll have a look. :)

    #1134203
    Fiona @opshoppers
    Member
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    0
    ::
    Scrooge, post: 152815 wrote:
    Personally for a business I cannot take anything seriously that is blog or website.

    Does that mean you can’t take Ebay, Amazon, ASOS and Konan seriously because they have a website and/or blog?

    Tumblr enjoys over 8.4 billion views a month by people around the world. I’m going to take them seriously. :)

    Regards,
    Fiona@opshoppers

    #1134205
    Fiona @opshoppers
    Member
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    0
    ::
    Scrooge, post: 152839 wrote:
    I think you missed the point. It is not about having a blog it is having a business on one of these free domain resources.

    Although my question still goes unanswered, what is it you do? Although now I am even more confused as what on earth does ebay, amazon, kogan or asos have to do with it. I believe they all have their own domains?

    http://www.opshoppers.com.au. :)

    We are keeping a low profile as we are in the process of updating it.

    Your opinions are appreciated, but I’m still unsure of how a question about my blog dilemma relates to whether I have a top shelf URL or not.

    Regards,
    Fiona

    #1134207
    Fiona @opshoppers
    Member
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    0
    ::
    Scrooge, post: 152860 wrote:
    A common mistake is to have a separate blog entity when it is better to have it as part of your main domain.

    There we are! Now THIS answers my original question. Is it a mistake to have a separate blog entity? You claim ‘yes’ Can you tell me why? (In laymans terms. :) )

    This is the part that needs explaining to me. I honestly don’t understand. I have a domain blog. I also have a separate blog entity. (Tumblr.) It’s silly and exhausting to update them both….

    I am NOT happy with the look and features of my site carts blog. I L.O.V.E how my Tumblr blog works/looks.

    In your opinion, What options do I have?

    Looking forward to your ideas.

    Regards,
    Fiona @opshoppers

    #1134209
    JohnTranter
    Member
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    0
    ::
    Fiona @opshoppers, post: 152862 wrote:
    There we are! Now THIS answers my original question. Is it a mistake to have a separate blog entity? You claim ‘yes’ Can you tell me why? (In laymans terms. :) )

    I’m not a marketing person at all, so take the following with a pinch of salt. (I am however in IT, which makes me an expert in f’in everything ;) )

    If you have a blog as part of your website, it helps your SEO juice in Google. Google likes the fresh, updated content.

    If you have a blog as part of an external site, say Tumblr, then you’re hoping that people will find that blog on Tumblr, and then click through to your website.

    If there is a good community on Tumblr for your products, and people are finding you there, you might find the Tumblr blog more useful. People do use social media to browse for topics that interest them, so it *could* work well. e.g. People searching for surfing pictures.

    Or you could still do both, but keep the content separate. i.e. use Tumblr blog to highlight interesting products or reviews, and have a “news’ section on your website for when new stock arrives, or a sale starts.
    Be aware that if you duplicate content on both, it may actually harm your SEO to my knowledge.

    No doubt an expert will come along and prove me wrong, but that’s my understanding.

    #1134210
    Fiona @opshoppers
    Member
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    0
    ::
    JohnTranter, post: 152865 wrote:
    I’m not a marketing person at all, so take the following with a pinch of salt. (I am however in IT, which makes me an expert in f’in everything ;) )

    keep the content separate. i.e. use Tumblr blog to highlight interesting products or reviews, and have a “news’ section on your website for when new stock arrives, or a sale starts.
    Be aware that if you duplicate content on both, it may actually harm your SEO to my knowledge.

    No doubt an expert will come along and prove me wrong, but that’s my understanding.

    Hmm, Interesting.

    Are you suggesting 2 blogs, but 2 different streams of content? This, I could manage, if it were beneficial to the business.

    And as for IT geeks knowing everything, I KNOW that is true! My IT friends are the smartest and greatest people that I know.

    From Fiona @opshoppers

    #1134211
    Fiona @opshoppers
    Member
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    0
    ::
    Scrooge, post: 152864 wrote:
    The advantages of single domain for all content and shop marketing a quite great I am happy to talk more but right now my pork roast needs my attention :)

    Thanks for the tips. Go get that delicious pork roast. :)

    From Fiona @opshoppers

    #1134212
    earthseacreative
    Member
    • Total posts: 96
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Fiona,

    I too face a blog dilemma like you. I love my WordPress blog theme but the content doesn’t push to my website!

    I’m no help here, but wanted to add thoughts too.

    Hope you are able to make a decision about your blog’s future :-D.

    Keep shining
    Merryn

    #1134214
    earthseacreative
    Member
    • Total posts: 96
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Scrooge,

    Great advice here. Now to work out how to implement the advice :)

    I have a Weebly Pro website and my knowledge of code is quite limited. But I’m sure I could get support via Weebly to undertake this migration.

    Thank you so much!

    #1134215
    michnichols
    Member
    • Total posts: 236
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Fiona,

    I started using Tumblr as a temporary measure for my blog whilst I finish my website. I currently have a splash/landing page and am not too far from launching the website and blog. A high priority is to get the blog on my website!

    However, I have quite enjoyed using Tumblr, although it’s social sharing capabilities is extremely limited within a post (esp. for readers), plus I did get DISQUS comments up and working. It has been sufficient for my needs as a new blogger.

    I am about to transfer my blog posts from tumblr to my wordpress site, but am still thinking I would like to keep tumblr going. I think it works best for visuals as opposed to text, so I am thinking I might use for images, quotes that I normally post directly to facebook, and then social share to twitter and facebook automatically (which it can do). However, my target market is not hanging out here, so the other side is it value adding – probably not.

    Tumblr is another social media tool, and has been reported as being very popular with Gen Y. So if you target market is there, it might be worth considering.

    Michelle

    #1134216
    Fiona @opshoppers
    Member
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    0
    ::
    michnichols, post: 153509 wrote:
    Hi Fiona,

    I started using Tumblr as a temporary measure for my blog whilst I finish my website. I currently have a splash/landing page and am not too far from launching the website and blog. A high priority is to get the blog on my website!

    However, I have quite enjoyed using Tumblr, although it’s social sharing capabilities is extremely limited within a post (esp. for readers), plus I did get DISQUS comments up and working. It has been sufficient for my needs as a new blogger.

    I am about to transfer my blog posts from tumblr to my wordpress site, but am still thinking I would like to keep tumblr going. I think it works best for visuals as opposed to text, so I am thinking I might use for images, quotes that I normally post directly to facebook, and then social share to twitter and facebook automatically (which it can do). However, my target market is not hanging out here, so the other side is it value adding – probably not.

    Tumblr is another social media tool, and has been reported as being very popular with Gen Y. So if you target market is there, it might be worth considering.

    Michelle

    Thanks for your input, Michelle.

    Tumblr is definitely image focused. I guess some people could get confused when I refer to it as a blog. I’ve found that the easiest way to implement a social media strategy for your business is to choose the SM platforms that complement YOUR business. :)

    I use it because I’m an ‘image’ person. Not a ‘words’ person. I also use it because my target market loves it!

    What’s your Tumblr blog called? Would love to have a look. :)

    Regards,
    Fiona @Opshoppers

    #1134217
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Fiona,
    The first rule of attracting people to your site is to publish RELEVANT content on your own site.

    Don’t preferentially publish it on Tumblr, Ebay or on any social media site.

    You seem to be enamoured of Tumblr because it has 8.4 billion visitors. Do you realise that this works out at an average of ONLY 15 visitors per page that Google has indexed. That no doubt will be a wild exaggeration because G will only have part of the site indexed.

    You need to consider who are the Tumblr visitors… Only the tiniest percentage will be looking for your types of products.

    By the time you start segmenting those average 15 Tumblr visitors down into age, sex, shopping needs, etc. you end up with a Tumblr referral number that is 3/5 of 5/8 of 7/16s of SFA.

    You have Google Analytics installed. How many referrals are you getting from Tumblr or any other social media site? If they are the majority of your referrals, you have site referral problems of the worst kind.

    I look at a large number of website’s Analytics reports. I’ve never yet seen ONE where Tumblr, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or any other major social media site generates any significant numbers of referrals to the website.
    Regs,
    JohnW

    #1134218
    Aidan
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    0
    ::

    We should also clarify that the whole ‘Google loves fresh content’ thing is widely exaggerated and misunderstood.

    It only applies in certain situations mainly QDF type ones otherwise great content beats fresh content every time.

    There are lots of people who have actually harmed their rankings by having blogs!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.