Home Forums Other discussions Help :) Need you all for a focus group

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    abacus
    • Total posts: 174

Help :) Need you all for a focus group :)

OK So we are considering selling DIY Flyscreen kits.

Here are the steps:

1: Customer orders screen from our (yet to be devised) “How to measure your window” order form online.

2: We cut all the parts (Frame, mesh, rubber spline, corner stakes and an (optional) spline roller)

3: We then ship the kits to the customer with detailed instructions on how to construct and install the said flyscreen.

So…….would you (as the general public) buy a DIY flyscreen kit???? (We are working on a price of approx $19 per square metre)

If yes…what info do you need?

Thanks
    Sue

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815

Hi – whenever I purchase a kit I like the instructions to be clear.
    That includes photos or drawings that make it easy to understand.
    My husband hates putting his glasses on to read tiny writing – he says he prefers pictures that don’t need words.

(Over the years I have drawn diagrams for clients including windows and more.)

The kit idea is a good one.
    Need to include: Frames cut to size, screen, rubber spline tubing, roller for fixing spine etc. I guess the roller could be an optional extra but the customer needs to know to purchase it if they don’t have one.

Also, in our area we have to install fire-safe mesh now. Not sure if that would roll in a kit.

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329

Hi Sue,

Yes, I would buy a DIY flyscreen kit. The biggest things stopping me would be:

1. What if I measure incorrectly? Can I return them?
    2. How much margin for error is there in the measurements?
    3. Can you show me a video of how easy it is to measure and install?
    4. How secure are they against damage/ access for thieves?
    5. How long do they last?
    6. What’s the smallest size and the largest size you do?

Good luck,

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563

I wouldn’t expect to return if I’d measured incorrectly, as that wouldn’t be a problem with the product as such, so I’d suggest specifying very clearly that customers should “take care doing your measurements”

abacus

Thanks all for your help

I have posted this question on a couple of different forums (to get a good cross section of answers :) )

I was not convinced this was a great idea, and the overwhelming answer from the pubplic is “No don’t do it” I can see that we would have more trouble than t is worth with people wanting to “blame”us for wrong sizes etc.

I have shown hubby the posts and he has admitted defeat :)

We are however selling flyscreen mesh :) So if you need to do some DIY …check out my ebay store at http://stores.ebay.com.au/Restock-Direct

Cheers
    Sue

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329

Hi Sue,

I don’t think that all is lost.

If the major concern identified is ‘I’m afraid I won’t measure the windows correctly.’ Then that’s great. It’s only one concern that you need to overcome.

This is a fear in the consumers mind that they will not be able to measure up their windows themselves and therefore they’ll blow their money. To start tackling this you need to clearly show what they need to do in a manner that’s reassuring emotionally and rationally.

Emotional:
    – Contact us at any time if you’re not sure
    – Over 95% of measurements sent are correct

Rational:
    – Here’s a video showing how to measure different windows
    – You can be out by 5mm, and it’s still fine

Good luck,

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815

I agree with David – all is not lost.

Many years ago there were kits sold (before the internet) and they had little extensions included that slotted into the corners so that if you could adjust up to 5cm (50mm) each way.

If the measurements allowed for the extra, and it was easy to trim once the spline tool was used, that would help allow for slight measurement changes or windows that are not actually square.

Customers would have to make sure that normal mesh is ok and that there were not other requirements in their area for fire-safe mesh only.

I still think the idea has potential and you should re-read David’s suggestions. Cheers.

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604

I too think it’s a good idea. I made all of our screens at home cos I was too tight to pay someone! In saying that, the little curls of aluminium blowing all around the deck weren’t such a brilliant idea for a toddlers feet and pre-cut would have been much easier.

I think a video of how to measure and how to make is a great idea, and will also up your SEO ranking (if I’m correct???).

abacus

Well I convinced hubby that fly screen kits were NOT the go :)

Sooooooo he suggested putting mesh on EBay…

HOLY C@#P it has gone nuts…Should have done this ages ago :)

I now spend 3-4 hours a day processing EBay orders :D

so if you would like any mesh….
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Restock-Direct

FS (mates rates may apply) :)

It has also got me thinking what on earth else i can sell. Restock Direct is purposely a “non-descript” name
    so it can sell anything :) I think I will go to China again in April and hunt up some new products.

Cheers
    Sue

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.