Home – New Forums Tech talk Help needed with SEO for my website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    brendan29
    • Total posts: 22
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone.

Firstly I wanted to say that I’ve learnt a lot about SEO reading this forum, and there are many knowledgable people out there. I appreciate the time you take to make informative posts.

I have an editing and proofreading website and I’m experiencing low traffic to it (around 20 hits a day if I’m lucky) – http://www.experteditor.com.au, even though I was paying an SEO company a reasonable amount of money per month for the last 9 months (I recently divorced them). I am wondering why.

Question 1: My first question to you guys is what is wrong with my site from an SEO perspective? Is anyone able to pin point weaknesses in my site from an SEO perspective? Can anyone recommend solutions?

One of the reasons why I sacked the SEO company was that I didn’t think they invested any time into link building. Most of the links were gathered by me when I wrote about 4 press releases and submitted them to some high quality press release sites. I have far less links than most of my competitors.

Question 2: My second question is what is the most effective way to build up my link profile? Is is worth going to a link building services company and buying links or should I just focus on manually building it up myself?

Thank you everyone for your help!

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Hi Brendan,

Running your site in Open Site Explorer (http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/links?site=www.experteditor.com.au) shows that your page and domain authority is pretty good. You should certainly be getting more respect in Google than you currently are.

That could be due to a lack of SEO work from the company your hired, or possibly even some penalties due to their attempts to bend the rules.

Most likely it is just a lack of defined keywords.

If you just want to get some traffic in the door, I would suggest searching the Adwords Keyword Tool for some low competition question keywords (eg. what is the number one grammatical error’ or something weird like that). Answer those questions in a blog post and use the exact keyword in the title and content.

If you pick wisely and get a few cross-links (find an old blog post with the chosen keyword and link it to your new article) you will be on the first page for the term in no time.

Rinse and repeat to get some low quality but reasonable targeted traffic coming in the door. At the end of the day boosting your traffic is good for morale, but may not necessarily have any impact on your business. You want high quality and highly targeted traffic.

SEO Errors

There may be some errors in your on page SEO but the fact that Google has your pages indexed (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=site%3Awww.experteditor.com.au) shows that they can’t be too bad.

There are tools that you can use to automatically analyse your website for major SEO errors. I use SEOmoz for this but at $99/mth it’s not cheap. It is extremely in depth though so you can try the free month to get your site crawled, or I could run a report for you free as a once off. PM me your email address if keen and I will set that up for you.

Backlinks

Whatever you do make sure you don’t pay money if the only return is a backlink. Google is onto this and is penalizing sites that do it. It’s not worth the risk of your website being completely removed from Google.

Unfortunately backlinks are about hard work and effort. Product awesome content is the number one way to get backlinks, and then ensuring you have a good distribution network for that content through social media and a few other methods.

I’m reluctant to share this article because it is one of the most comprehensive resources on link building I have found and might put me out of a job! The saving grace is it is probably so in-depth it will put people off! Anyway it is absolute gold for link building ideas so it would be unfair not to share: http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/47-resources-to-carry-your-link-building-through-2013

It’s not the be all and end all of link building options, but certainly will give you a years worth of ideas.

Hopefully you can find some useful stuff in the above. Be sure to shoot me a PM about the on-page report and we can have a chat about SEO in more detail.

brendan29
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Thanks for the information James, it was great. I’ll be in touch shortly.

NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Up

I’ve had a quick look at your backlink profile and it seems like mostly junk. MajesticSEO’s flow metrics confirm this (see attachment).

Your backlinks are biased towards websites that do not have a level of trust (trust flow) proportionate to their own number of backlinks (citation flow).

Here’s some idea for getting better links;

Find the people who creating the demand for editing services e.g. PHD supervisors, HR people, business people etc. and interview them about how your clients and potential clients e.g. those doing PHDs, those looking for jobs, those preparing business reports, can do a better job. Make sure to hone in on editing.

This will create a valuable resource for your target market and for people to link to, as well as give you an opportunity to network with the kinds of people who might refer you work in the future and/or link to and share your resource.

Also, if you need any more ideas beyond those in the article that James posted you should check out this resource: http://pointblankseo.com/link-building-strategies

klix media
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

hey brendan ..

well i made seo audit for your website and found below answers for you ..

Quote:
    Question 1: My first question to you guys is what is wrong with my site from an SEO perspective? Is anyone able to pin point weaknesses in my site from an SEO perspective? Can anyone recommend solutions?

well .. below is wrong ..

1st) Continue Backlinks Drop ..
    2nd) Continue Referring Domain Drop ..
    3rd) No On Page Optimization Done Perfectly .,. On Page Optimization done on Different Keywords and SEO Company Targetted Different Keywords …

Source of Audit ..

https://ahrefs.com/site-explorer/overview/subdomains/www.experteditor.com.au

Quote:
    Question 2: My second question is what is the most effective way to build up my link profile? Is is worth going to a link building services company and buying links or should I just focus on manually building it up myself?

answer is

1st) do onpage optimization first ..
    2nd) make keyword research that on which keywords you wanted to target ..
    3rd) generate good quality backlinks which are niche ..
    4th) You can do it manually and if you hire any link building agency than have reports from them on daily regarding backlink generation ..

:)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    klix media, post: 161621 wrote:
    well i made seo audit for your website and found below answers for you ..
    Hi Klix Media,
    For the sake of accuracy…

IMHO and with respect, you can’t do any effective website audit without reference to the target audience and the search methods they may use.

Your answer seems to be based on automated SEO analysis software. Eg ahrefs.com. I use this but its value is usually very limited in the broader scope of SEO issues.

The single most important SE ranking attribute is competition for the search phrase. In my 18+ years in the industry I’ve never seen any SEO software that is useful in assessing this most crucial of all SEO parameters.

Most SEO tools and software seem to originate from the USA. They are geared to assessing search markets that are 25-50 times more competitive than the Australian search market.

That means, their answers/recommendations could be 25-50 times less accurate!
    Regs,
    JohnW

klix media
    Up
    JohnW, post: 161660 wrote:
    Hi Klix Media,
    For the sake of accuracy…

IMHO and with respect, you can’t do any effective website audit without reference to the target audience and the search methods they may use.

Your answer seems to be based on automated SEO analysis software. Eg ahrefs.com. I use this but its value is usually very limited in the broader scope of SEO issues.

The single most important SE ranking attribute is competition for the search phrase. In my 18+ years in the industry I’ve never seen any SEO software that is useful in assessing this most crucial of all SEO parameters.

Most SEO tools and software seem to originate from the USA. They are geared to assessing search markets that are 25-50 times more competitive than the Australian search market.

That means, their answers/recommendations could be 25-50 times less accurate!
    Regs,
    JohnW

Hey John,

I am totally agreed at your point and do respect of your seo experience first .. :)

but thing is just like that i know this kinds of softwares are not perfect .. but atleast with the help of this kind of free software we could reveal many factors ..

like backlink analysis, domain analysis, our mistake and many more thing ..

so if we got basic idea that what is wrong with our website than we can do a step to fix it and solve our problem and that is why i made audit of his website .. and even you can ask thread creator to check google webmaster account .. in account also he will have drop in term of backlinks .. !!

so this softwares are just to have some basic idea’s quickly within minutes .. for more details and research seo experts like us need to do r&d on website with Google analytics and Google Webmaster and many more factor .. !!

in addition i would also like to comment that now a days this software are not country specific like usa only which you just mentioned ..

if you can visit semrush than they provides result different countrywise .. so no usa problem and semrush do uses google api and tells us direct that on which keyword we are ranking than the website which is using api of google and show us snap of google result than how it can be wrong sir !!
    :)

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up
    brendan29, post: 161512 wrote:
    Hi everyone.

Firstly I wanted to say that I’ve learnt a lot about SEO reading this forum, and there are many knowledgable people out there. I appreciate the time you take to make informative posts.

I have an editing and proofreading website and I’m experiencing low traffic to it (around 20 hits a day if I’m lucky) – http://www.experteditor.com.au, even though I was paying an SEO company a reasonable amount of money per month for the last 9 months (I recently divorced them). I am wondering why.

One of the reasons why I sacked the SEO company was that I didn’t think they invested any time into link building. Most of the links were gathered by me when I wrote about 4 press releases and submitted them to some high quality press release sites. I have far less links than most of my competitors.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Brendan, once you have properly researched your keywords and structured your sites content accordingly, your most viable option is to implement an Adwords campaign. Considering how volatile and unpredictable organic search is at the moment, your money will be better spent using Adwords in lieu of a link-building strategy which can be quite expensive with no guarantees.

Obviously, it is essential if you have no idea how to manage Adwords, you hire the services someone who has sound knowledge in this area. You will find a few reputable guys here in FS.

With a well implemented Adwords campaign, will receive instant feedback how your site performs from a profitability point of view, with no need to worry about organic rankings.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    klix media, post: 161666 wrote:
    but thing is just like that i know this kinds of softwares are not perfect .. but atleast with the help of this kind of free software we could reveal many factors ..

like backlink analysis, domain analysis, our mistake and many more thing ..
    Hi Klix Media,
    My problem is with the starting point that many people address with SEO.

Anyone who starts discussing these topics may have an SEO implementation problem:

1. SEO analysis tools
    2. Link analysis
    3. Domain analysis

Tools that purport to analyse these factors can help but they are very far from offering meaningful diagnostics and remedial actions.

There are so many Australian markets where external link building is irrelevant.

This fact immediately negates a significant part of your discussion.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Cesar
    Up
    JohnW, post: 161674 wrote:
    Hi Klix Media,

Anyone who starts discussing these topics may have an SEO implementation problem:

1. SEO analysis tools
    2. Link analysis
    3. Domain analysis

Tools that purport to analyse these factors can help but they are very far from offering meaningful diagnostics and remedial actions.

There are so many Australian markets where external link building is irrelevant.

This fact immediately negates a significant part of your discussion.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Thanks John, I know in many ways we are on the same wave-length when it comes to how complicated and scientific link-building is portrayed in the Internet Marketing world. Truly, we both know this is not the case.

By the way, there may be some members here who might think I don’t know what I am talking about in my SEO discussions. I can assure you that I do, and if any of the FS administrators would like me to show my credentials I am more than happy to do so. I just like to keep things private to the general public. ;)

NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Up
    Hi Klix Media,

1. SEO analysis tools
    2. Link analysis
    3. Domain analysis

I’m not sure I entirely agree with you on this one John. I think its fair to look at a backlink profile, recognise that its weak and surmise that that could a primary reason why the site isn’t ranking very well.

Can you give us some examples?

Certainly most Aussie markets are much less competitive than US markets but most businesses still find themselves competing for rankings. If Google finds multiple webpages with similar relevancy to a particular search query, would you agree that the primary method they use to decide who ranks where is to look at external links?

Cesar
    Up

Seems that the SEO industry will never evolve. Another round on the subject of links. How counter-productive!

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    Cesar, post: 161712 wrote:
    Seems that the SEO industry will never evolve. Another round on the subject of links. How counter-productive!

Hi Cesar,

The SEO industry has evolved and continues to evolve at about the same pace as search and technology do – no surprise there.

It has been clarified many times here and elsewhere, that links (the right ones) can be very influential in gaining rankings. Why then would SEO’s here or anywhere else not discuss and debate them? As long as they are influential they will be discussed along with all the other factors.

Now if Google drops their importance or ignores them completely at some stage, then you can expect to see the discussion of links disappear at about the same rate that the mentions of the gawd awful ‘meta keywords’ have disappeared.

my two cents…

Cesar
    Up
    Aidan, post: 161760 wrote:
    Hi Cesar,

The SEO industry has evolved and continues to evolve at about the same pace as search and technology do – no surprise there.

It has been clarified many times here and elsewhere, that links (the right ones) can be very influential in gaining rankings. Why then would SEO’s here or anywhere else not discuss and debate them? As long as they are influential they will be discussed along with all the other factors.

Now if Google drops their importance or ignores them completely at some stage, then you can expect to see the discussion of links disappear at about the same rate that the mentions of the gawd awful ‘meta keywords’ have disappeared.

my two cents…

I don’t think it has evolved Aidan, a perfect example is this thread. If you look at the following comment, not having a go at Nick either, it’s a comment that gets “flogged to death”.

NickMorris, post: 161684 wrote:
    Certainly most Aussie markets are much less competitive than US markets but most businesses still find themselves competing for rankings. If Google finds multiple webpages with similar relevancy to a particular search query, would you agree that the primary method they use to decide who ranks where is to look at external links?

Ok, by now everyone is aware in the SEO world of their importance, so stop flogging the same remarks like a “broken record” and start offering advice that is productive. I see many examples where you have two quality sites with quality link profiles, and the one with the least links outranking the other.

Go Figure! Big Deal! The only thing I worry about is my profits, not my link profile.

By the way Aidan, no disrespect to you either, just putting my view across. I would highly recommend your services to anyone.

klix media
    Up
    Hi Klix Media,
    1. SEO analysis tools
    2. Link analysis
    3. Domain analysis

hey john,

i know seo is not only about tools .. its mostly about research and hardwork ..

but who will tell you that on which keywords you going to rank ?

its this kind of tool .. for example take GA if GA is not there than how would you optimize your website ..

tools are there to reveal bad and good factors of seo for your website so proper use of same can give many solutions that is why millions of people are blindly uses this kinda of tools and all buddy … hope that clear our discussion here sir ..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.