Home – New Forums Tech talk Help needed with SEO for my website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    DKChoices
    • Total posts: 101
    Up
    ::

I think the main problem with SEO is that it is difficult to find that ‘good seo company’. For what they do and offer, they are definitely not cheap and if they are not doing it correctly, they might even be harming your website’s potential long term. That is difficult to accept.

I am in the process of implementing SEO myself for my own business. There is so much resources online to draw upon to learn about this, and if you put in a few hours once in a while to understand and work on it, I do believe you can make the appropriate impact yourself whilst saving money. It is actually quite interesting to learn and implement yourself!

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    NickMorris, post: 161684 wrote:
    I’m not sure I entirely agree with you on this one John. I think its fair to look at a backlink profile, recognise that its weak and surmise that that could a primary reason why the site isn’t ranking very well.

Can you give us some examples?
    Hi Nick,
    With respect, I did not say the tools were worthless. And yes, looking at backlink profile is important BUT only if the analysts knows what the report means and what, if anything to do with it.

I suggest that most Australian:

• industrial websites,
    • B2B products and service suppliers and
    • very large numbers of geographically targeted websites

will find that they can dramatically increase their SE referrals without any link building services.

In part, it is about the level of competition in the SEs.

I KNOW you are NOT one of the following SEO types.

My particular gripe is with those that use a certain type of SEO tool to spit out irrelevant “website audits” designed to scare website owners.

For a start, anyone who claims to be an SEO who offers a website audit without referring to target search words (NOT keywords) is a charlatan, a fraud or an incompetent, IMHO.

If I’m offered a free SE audit, I submit the site that ranks #1 on Google for the phrase: railway sleepers Sydney.

Run that website through any of the SEO website audit tools and they will all come back with a long, long list of so-called SEO problems, errors and omissions.

They will report things like there is no site map, no XML map, no robots.txt file, poor titles, not valid HTML code, lack of content, poor keyword density, no web page links, no social media links, no keyword meta tags, etc., etc., etc.

Now run some of the thousands of search phrases through Google Aust that can be constructed from these 40 or so words:

sleepers
    railway, landscape, garden
    supply, supplies, suppliers, wholesale, buy, sale
    old, used, recycled, second-hand, 2nd hand
    timber, hardwood, redgum, red gum, wooden
    Sydney, Melbourne (and all other capital cities)
    Australia, NSW, (and all other states)

You will find that same site ranks in the top 10 for almost all of them and in the top 5 for most.

That little 5 page website cost $600 to produce in 2007. (OK, it was done at “mate’s rates”.) The SEO was built into it from the start. No SEO has been done to it since.

A few SE traffic numbers for people to consider about this tiny site. Over the last 2 years:

• 87% of its traffic was generic SE referrals.
    • The keyword “railway sleepers Sydney” only generated 1% of traffic
    • There have been 10,640 different keywords used to generate SE referrals to the site.

Just how many ways are there to look for a supplier of used railway sleepers?

Well, 5,300 of the search phrases used in the last 12 months had not been used before and over the next 12 months half of those will never have been used before.

Many SEO consultants and the audit tools they run this site though can’t even identify what the SEO is on the site, let alone explain why it is still working today, inspite of the birth of social media and all Google’s dramatic changes since 2007.

Yesterday, someone told me they wanted to rank top 10 for the “keyword”, airport shuttle sydney.

My response was, why? G says there were only 1,000 uses of this search phrase last month. There were 14,800 searches that included these words plus others. I know a website can rank top 5 for most of these 14,800 searches without any link building program. (Been there, done that.)

NickMorris, post: 161684 wrote:
    If Google finds multiple webpages with similar relevancy to a particular search query, would you agree that the primary method they use to decide who ranks where is to look at external links?

What G has dramatically changed over the last 1-2 years includes the ranking factors associated with:

• Universal search
    • geolocation
    • query deserves freshness

IMHO, you can’t simply talk links versus the rest any more. It is far too complex.

The more relevant issues around links are all the variables involved in:

• How link values are assessed by G?
    • How often these multiple factor values are modified by G?
    • How difficult it is to manage these externally controlled elements?

Why would site owners expend their SEO time and budget chasing a few, highly competitive exact keywords when they account for so little of the SE referrals? :)
    Best regs,
    JohnW

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    klix media, post: 161804 wrote:
    hey john,

i know seo is not only about tools .. its mostly about research and hardwork ..

but who will tell you that on which keywords you going to rank ?

its this kind of tool .. for example take GA if GA is not there than how would you optimize your website ..

tools are there to reveal bad and good factors of seo for your website so proper use of same can give many solutions that is why millions of people are blindly uses this kinda of tools and all buddy … hope that clear our discussion here sir ..

Hi Klix,
    IMHO, you should be able to attract more relevant generic SE referrals with commonsense and marketing knowledge than blindly following Google’s keyword tool. It really is a very limited and imperfect SEO resource.

Most people don’t seem to understand what it is reporting let alone its major limitations. They don’t realise that 90% of the exact keywords used in searches are not even reported by Google’s Keyword Tool.

Use of G Analytics reports for SEO is in part about gap analysis. Its major benefits include suggesting to site owners:

• What potential client locations are underperforming?
    • What methods of web access are underperforming?
    • What relevant search words are underperforming?

Note that “keywords” does not appear in the list.

If any of this comes as a surprise to you then you may want to initiate a post requesting help with your SEO problems.
    JohnW

brendan29
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Thank you everyone for your comments and help.

I would like to outline my future SEO strategy and get some feedback on it. I’ve done a lot of research into SEO over the past month and I think it’s possible for a small business like my own to conduct its own SEO.

Firstly I intend to update my blog weekly/fortnightly with a fresh keyword rich article.

Secondly I will have that blog post re-written and submit it to article directories. I plan to submit it to ezine and submityourarticle.com. I have a very talented writer in America on hand that will do the writing for me, so the content will always be high quality.

My website will be updated regularly with new content and I will have a steady increase of links pointing to my site with the article submissions. The total cost of this strategy is significantly less than what a typical SEO company would charge for a monthly service.

Do people agree that this is a viable strategy? The only need I might have for a professional SEO company/person is to look under the hood of my website and tweak the page titles, urls, meta descriptions, ect to make sure they are SEO optimised. I think the existing content of my site (static pages) is pretty good and was written with SEO in mind, so there will be no need to tweak that.

Any feedback on this strategy would be much appreciated.

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    brendan29, post: 162726 wrote:
    Secondly I will have that blog post re-written and submit it to article directories. I plan to submit it to ezine and submityourarticle.com. I have a very talented writer in America on hand that will do the writing for me, so the content will always be high quality.

Good idea but those types of sites are becoming less and less useful. I’d focus on finding websites that are relevant to your target audience and getting “guest blog” positions (Google this because it’s also changing). That way you can be concentrating less on backlinks and more on actually getting traffic to your site with backlinks only as a bonus.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    I’ve done a lot of research into SEO over the past month and I think it’s possible for a small business like my own to conduct its own SEO.

I’ve never understood this mindset.

If I told a dentist that I’d done a lot of “research and study” towards performing dental work over the past month and that I think I could “do it myself”, then I’m pretty sure the response would be one of complete disbelief. Infact, this would apply within any professional industry.

As a freelancer I see this all the time..”I’ll just do it myself, it can’t be too hard”. When I hear that I always wish them well and be thankful they’re not a client of mine.

I think if anything it just demonstrates a lack of respect that’s required by a professional in order to perform the job well. There are a lot of members here (Gabriel, Dan Norris, JohnW, me etc) that have acquired the level of knowledge we have, over years and years of experience, application, learning, investing, testing and measuring.

I’m sorry, but even suggesting you have this skill in 4 weeks is ridiculous.

Firstly I intend to update my blog weekly/fortnightly with a fresh keyword rich article.

I would shift this to at least 2-3 times a week. Updating your blog once every 2 weeks isn’t exactly going to set the house on fire. Unless of course, you’re pumping out stella content.

Secondly I will have that blog post re-written and submit it to article directories. I plan to submit it to ezine and submityourarticle.com.

Total waste of time, and quite possibly dangerous (SYA)

My website will be updated regularly with new content and I will have a steady increase of links pointing to my site with the article submissions.

Which are totally useless and will provide no benefits at all.

The total cost of this strategy is significantly less than what a typical SEO company would charge for a monthly service.

Ok. So we’re finally at the real reason – COST.

Let me ask you, what do you value your time at? $0?

You might save a few dollars, but you’re going to waste a lot of time. Spend the money – do it once, do it right.

Do people agree that this is a viable strategy?

No.

The only need I might have for a professional SEO company/person is to look under the hood of my website and tweak the page titles, urls, meta descriptions, ect to make sure they are SEO optimised.

So you’re going to do your own SEO, in order to hire a professional SEO to check your work?

That’s like installing your own lighting at home, then hiring a professional electrician, getting him out onsite and asking …”So, what do you think?”

brendan29
    Up
    JoshG, post: 162729 wrote:
    Good idea but those types of sites are becoming less and less useful. I’d focus on finding websites that are relevant to your target audience and getting “guest blog” positions (Google this because it’s also changing). That way you can be concentrating less on backlinks and more on actually getting traffic to your site with backlinks only as a bonus.

Thanks Josh. Is there anything wrong with doing both? Submitting to article directories and finding guest blogging positions. Or are you unlikely to get a guest blog spot if the article has already been published (i.e. blogs require unique content)?

I’m also led to believe that yes, the value of article directories is small, but there is a chance that someone might see your article on the directory and choose to publish it on a more valuable site. Do you agree? This of course requires quality content that people would want to publish.

JoshG
    Up
    brendan29, post: 162737 wrote:
    Thanks Josh. Is there anything wrong with doing both? Submitting to article directories and finding guest blogging positions. Or are you unlikely to get a guest blog spot if the article has already been published (i.e. blogs require unique content)?

The jury is still out with regard to whether links from ezine (and etc.) are going to hurt your site in the long run. However, ezine did see a serious drop in traffic sometime in 2011 from Google which suggests that Google is taking them less seriously. They talked about using “no follow” links (meaning their links to your site are useless) to negate the damage so that might still occur.

Overall, Google is caring less and less about random backlinks with every update.

As for unique content, that depends on the blog. You’ll have to do a lot of research to find the right one and then negotiate a good deal with the owner.

brendan29, post: 162737 wrote:
    I’m also led to believe that yes, the value of article directories is small, but there is a chance that someone might see your article on the directory and choose to publish it on a more valuable site. Do you agree? This of course requires quality content that people would want to publish.

Google “content duplication”. Anyone taking articles from ezine, etc. stopped doing that a long time ago ;)

To agree with John above, it seems like you might have some outdated SEO information. It’s a constantly changing industry so that’s not a surprise, but you might find it worthwhile to do a lot more research before you risk doing the wrong thing. There’s nothing worse than working hard for 3 months and then realising you’ve gone backwards!

brendan29
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 162735 wrote:
    Total waste of time, and quite possibly dangerous (SYA)

Do people agree with this? Is it a waste of time/dangerous submitting good quality articles to ezine and submityourarticle.com?

brendan29
    Up

Cost of professional SEO service: $500-1000 per month
    Cost of my strategy: $300 per month
    Time my strategy takes: 1 hour per week, at most (email writer, update blog, submit article)

Let me ask you, what do you value your time at? $0?

1 hour per week to save $200 – $700. I don’t value my time that much.

Of course this is all dependent on my strategy being effective, which is why I’m seeking feedback from the forum.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    I’ve never understood this mindset.
    I think if anything it just demonstrates a lack of respect that’s required by a professional in order to perform the job well. I used to get offended but then I grew up. Small businesses don’t always have the cash to what we would like. They may need to try to do it themselves, then discover how hard it is and call us, they may need coaching, they might find a skill they didn’t realise they had and become gun internet marketers.

Our local Bunnings has home improvement classes. I don’t see builders standing around getting miffed because ‘god forbid!’ the plebs are trying do something they spend years learning.

Rather than look down you nose at small businesses who like to try and do things themselves, try to encourage and empower them. Who knows, they might then give you a call when they get stuck.

I sense a lot of built up anger in your posts, and considering its a Friday afternoon, why not have a whiskey and relax.

NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Up
    brendan29, post: 162740 wrote:
    Do people agree with this? Is it a waste of time/dangerous submitting good quality articles to ezine and submityourarticle.com?

Personally I don’t think there’s much chance of a penalty from this, unless you do it on a massive scale, but I do think that its a waste of time.

Regardless of the quality of the articles, its blatantly obvious that the links from those articles back to your website are not going to be editorial so why would Google give them any weight?

JoshG
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 162761 wrote:
    I used to get offended but then I grew up. Small businesses don’t always have the cash to what we would like.

I tend to agree with you on this one. From our point of view we see internet marketing as a valuable service that can provide ROI, but a small business owner without the money just sees it as a big price tag.

Since we have to put food on our own tables we can’t offer big discounts for everyone, so the next best thing is to provide a little help so that they grow to a position where they can afford it.

Although I do understand John’s annoyance. This is an industry struggling for credibility among a sea of scams so it’s easy to feel put down (and maybe even offended) when it seems like our skills are being played down. I didn’t see that happening here but it can easily feel like it.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    JoshG, post: 162765 wrote:
    Although I do understand John’s annoyance. This is an industry struggling for credibility among a sea of scams so it’s easy to feel put down (and maybe even offended) when it seems like our skills are being played down. I didn’t see that happening here but it can easily feel like it.I agree with you there – the internet is one of the few remaining ‘wild west’ of commerce, where people can set up, fleece people, and disappear without a trace.

In another thread someone is offering a free custom graphic designed website with the purchasing of their cheap hosting. How can I compete with that? I can’t, so I keep trying to provide a great product and to provide people who are not buyer yet with good advice, so that people who read it may come to me instead of the free site.

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up
    brendan29, post: 162743 wrote:
    Cost of my strategy: $300 per month
    Time my strategy takes: 1 hour per week, at most (email writer, update blog, submit article)

Brendan, you are willing to spend $300 per month on outdated strategies that have no purpose other than to fill your mind with “Pipe Dreams”, yet you won’t consider a well implemented Adwords campaign? By the way, you can start from as little as $10 per day until you feel confident enough to “Up the Ante”.

Adwords offers all the tools you need to give you instant analysis whether your site, content and services are profitable. Firstly, ask yourself, “Is it more viable waiting months and or years to determine if my site is profitable using lethargic SEO tactics?” Secondly, “Or is it wiser using Adwords that will help me determine within a few weeks whether my website’s marketing ROI is a good business strategy.

Imagine this:

You set your own budget.

You set your most profitable keywords.

You set your desired geographical settings.

You set your own hours of work.

You have access to reports, from invalid clicks, clicks per day and so forth. The key though, is keeping it as simple as possible, not too much reporting jargon. Sales and conversions should be your main concern. If there is not much of this occurring, then it’s probably your site, products and or services where the problem lies.

Why wait so long for results, when you can have them basically instantly.

BTW Google, if you need an influential spokesperson, I’m your man!

Move aside Matt Cutts, I’m coming for your job. Adwords is King, and your job is becoming redundant.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.