Home – New Forums Tech talk HELP! Newbie needs advice Domain/Internet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    3thingsdigital
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    ::

Taking a modular approach will yield the following benefits.

1. Domain Registrar – Breaking off the domain registrar function will allow you to take advantage of the best prices for domain registration and switch registrars easily without having to worry about moving other functions.

2. DNS Host – Using a DNS based, content delivery network such as Cloudflare will improve performance (hence SEO), protect your website from hackers (improve availability), provide advanced analytics and a single placed for management of DNS for all your domains. http://www.cloudflare.comhttp://www.cloudflare.com

3. Web Apps – Once you’ve broken up the first 2 functions, you are free to choose the suite of web services that fit your needs. This might be applications for customer service, CRM, website or email.

Management is a different challenge, DIY is not a stretch (when you select the right services) and many capable IT Managed Service Providers exist which can pull these together into a single bill (if that is important) with additional value adds.

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 155576 wrote:
    (isn’t this a repeat of another thread?)

The two most important aspects when choosing a host:
    1) Reliability
    2) Support, support, support.

(As I wrote in the other thread) I have dealt with dozens of web hosts of every shape and form over the past decade or so, and every single time I have needed to contact them for support, for reasons big and small, and that is common for most people in the industry. Good support is essential for a web host, and those with a bad reputation in this area should be avoided like the plague.

That is exactly right! When you’re choosing a web host, you’ll ideally want to find one that offers a business grade SLA that outlines the reliability (monthly uptime guarantee), customer support, scheduled outages and etc. The cheapest web host out there isn’t always the best and there are many hidden drawbacks.

Cheers,

Shaun

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    jimyiapanis, post: 157089 wrote:
    Taking a modular approach will yield the following benefits.

1. Domain Registrar – Breaking off the domain registrar function will allow you to take advantage of the best prices for domain registration and switch registrars easily without having to worry about moving other functions.

2. DNS Host – Using a DNS based, content delivery network such as Cloudflare will improve performance (hence SEO), protect your website from hackers (improve availability), provide advanced analytics and a single placed for management of DNS for all your domains. http://www.cloudflare.comhttp://www.cloudflare.com

3. Web Apps – Once you’ve broken up the first 2 functions, you are free to choose the suite of web services that fit your needs. This might be applications for customer service, CRM, website or email.

Management is a different challenge, DIY is not a stretch (when you select the right services) and many capable IT Managed Service Providers exist which can pull these together into a single bill (if that is important) with additional value adds.
    I think most reputable web hosts are very capable of handling DNS well, and don’t see it as a pre-requisite for most small businesses.

I also don’t think it’s beneficial to switch domain registers all the time chasing a couple of dollars savings. Find a good one in the first place who charges a decent price. That means staying away from a lot of Australian registrars as many of them charge double the price for a .com.au than most non-Australian registrars.

I’ve changed hosts more often than registrars, far more likely that will be the issue than the registrar.

yifa_old
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

I’ll just throw in my 2 cents too…

Support should be your no. 1 concern when it comes to choosing a web host. Digital Pacific and VentraIP are both great web hosts in my opinion, as their support is fast and their prices are fairly cheap.

Regrettably, I did what a lot of start-ups do to begin with and gave CrazyDomains a shot, simply because they were cheap. And let me tell you, I immediately regretted that decision. Their support is horrid – I sent them an email asking a very basic question, and it took them 3 days to get back to me with an absolutely useless response. 3 DAYS!! Imagine if it was something major and the website wasn’t working….no website for 3 days? Wow…just wow… When I was with Digital Pacific, they usually got back to me within an hour or 2.

CrazyDomains is also, in my experience, extremely slow. On my wordpress site, sometimes it takes a good 30 seconds for the page to load, if at all. Sometimes when I’m making an adjustment in the backend and saving it, it takes several minutes to do it because it’s slow loading and I end up having to reload the page multiple times.

Basically, don’t choose the cheap host to save a few dollars. You’re better off saving yourself hours of frustration and going with a company that is reliable.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.