• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    choco lover
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I am on the journey of starting an online chocolate business where i am selling imported chocolates online. Can anyone please give me some advice. i will be only delivering in Australia. if you could give some things that i need to consider, i know that transportation will be an issue. So far i know which brands i will be selling, got some suppliers lined up (anymore you know can be more helpful), dont know which transport company to go with for delivering the chocolates so that they are still in the same shape when they leave my premises, i will be running it from home, so storage tips? and i am half way on finishing my business plan. so any tips will be great as i am very new at this.

Thanks all :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi choco lover,

Congratulations on your progress with your new business so far. It all sounds very exciting, and I know some chocoholics who will wish that they’d thought of this idea themselves.

I hope you get some handy answers to your questions soon, but in the meantime, perhaps you could share your name with us? We’re all very friendly around here, and are looking forward to getting to know you.

All the best,
    Jayne

choco lover
    Up

Thanks Jayne,

i think i have a long way to go, but my name is Leema :) sorry i am new to this forum thing and business. i sit behind a desk in an office 5 days in a week and have 2 little girls below age 6, so i want to start something online and be self employed. i think alot of mums would love a self employed opportunity as they get time with their little bubs. so thats why i have started my sweet journery through selling chocolates.

rmck
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    choco lover, post: 185447 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I am on the journey of starting an online chocolate business where i am selling imported chocolates online. Can anyone please give me some advice. i will be only delivering in Australia. if you could give some things that i need to consider, i know that transportation will be an issue. So far i know which brands i will be selling, got some suppliers lined up (anymore you know can be more helpful), dont know which transport company to go with for delivering the chocolates so that they are still in the same shape when they leave my premises, i will be running it from home, so storage tips? and i am half way on finishing my business plan. so any tips will be great as i am very new at this.

Thanks all :)

Hi Leema,

Once you have your logistics figured out (that’ll be interesting to say the least!)

I recommend you;

1. Find yourself a great off-the-self ecommerce product (I recommend Bigcommerce) and a nice theme, maybe something like; http://www.bigcommerce.com/theme/pretty-store/

2. Pay special attention to design and imagery. Your going to be selling a product that will be an impulse buy for many. Your website and imagery must be seriously inviting, and high quality product photography is going to be critical.

3. Make your product sound delicious. Take note of Nespresso. They do a very good job of describing their pod flavours, eg:

“The exquisite marriage of fragrant roasted Livanto Grand Cru coffee with delectable dark chocolate and refreshing red fruit notes.”

Damn that sounds good!

Regards,

Ryan

choco lover
    Up

Thanks Ryan :)

haha it does sound good. big commerce looks good, gives me some ideas of my web layout. thanks heaps for your help. appreciate it.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

You may just need to email or call around a few delivery companies until you find the one that can help your with your specific requirements.

Welcome to FS

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

I was involved in helping an established retail boutique chocolate shop setup up their online presence over 8 years ago. It did quite well as the good will and systems were in place to start with.

As all the regular chocolates can be bought cheaply in supermarkets, it sounds like you’re onto the right track by importing and I am hoping it is a unique or hard to get line?

You really need to focus on a niche and / or specialty target market to do well. There are many avenues, however a lot will be trial and error until you find your way.

There are plenty of online food retailers now, so getting around the shipping issues shouldn’t be hard.

choco lover
    Up
    arrowwise, post: 185480 wrote:
    I was involved in helping an established retail boutique chocolate shop setup up their online presence over 8 years ago. It did quite well as the good will and systems were in place to start with.

As all the regular chocolates can be bought cheaply in supermarkets, it sounds like you’re onto the right track by importing and I am hoping it is a unique or hard to get line?

You really need to focus on a niche and / or specialty target market to do well. There are many avenues, however a lot will be trial and error until you find your way.

There are plenty of online food retailers now, so getting around the shipping issues shouldn’t be hard.

Thanks ,
    I am trying to get chocolates that are not too available here and unique , some thing new. i want to start online first then see how it goes and build it up.

Totally Awesome
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

I’m interested to know what you will be supplying.

I just booted out my chocolate supplier.. claimed “Swiss recipes” but turned out to be just plain old compound chocolate. I wasn’t a happy Jack I assure you.

Have a gander on [URL=”http://finefoodwholesalers.com.au/”%5B/URL%5D for ideas, including possible transportation solutions.

choco lover
    Up
    Totally Awesome, post: 185553 wrote:

I just booted out my chocolate supplier.. claimed “Swiss recipes” but turned out to be just plain old compound chocolate. I wasn’t a happy Jack I assure you.

Have a gander on [URL=”http://finefoodwholesalers.com.au/”%5B/URL%5D for ideas, including possible transportation solutions.

Oh No, not good sorry to hear that, well i have just sent some emails to transport companies that will make sure my chocolates get delivered in the same quality as they leave my hot little hands. I will be supplying hampers, wedding bonbonaire’s and bulk chocolates bags to the aussie land. I am meeting up with a chocolate wearhouse this friday and will expand my choices of chocolates to sell. so havnt got a full list as yet.

choco lover
    Up

to totally awesome:
    also how long have you been doing this for? would love some advice and tips?

choco lover
    Up
    Totally Awesome, post: 185553 wrote:

– are you selling your chocolates online or store? would love some advice and tips :)

Totally Awesome
    Up

In my recently opened you beaut Ice-creamery come the local ye olde lolly shop.

I bag up confectionery and chocolates under our own brand name and as much as possible steer clear of anything that one can pick up off the shelf at a supermarket.

So if the chocolate got a ripper of a unique name and comes with a ‘come in spinner’ yarn like “and the milk is collected by Tibetan female Monks from curly-haired albino Yacks that feed only off the blue Egyptian Tussle grass that grows only on the left hand side of the mountain”

OK maybe not so wild a yarn but is genuine chocolate, tastes terrific, and isn’t in the supermarket, then it’ll deserve looking at.

choco lover
    Up
    Totally Awesome, post: 185558 wrote:
    In my recently opened you beaut Ice-creamery come the local ye olde lolly shop.

I bag up confectionery and chocolates under our own brand name and as much as possible steer clear of anything that one can pick up off the shelf at a supermarket.

So if the chocolate got a ripper of a unique name and comes with a ‘come in spinner’ yarn like “and the milk is collected by Tibetan female Monks from curly-haired albino Yacks that feed only off the blue Egyptian Tussle grass that grows only on the left hand side of the mountain”

OK maybe not so wild a yarn but is genuine chocolate, tastes terrific, and isn’t in the supermarket, then it’ll deserve looking at.

haha yeah too much wild yarn. Do you have a website?

Totally Awesome
    Up

Let’s not get too technical now hey!!!

Do search on Facebook…. Totally Awesome Stuff. Yep, that’s the name of the shop.

Name came about when the Queen of Sheba happened to be driving past in her bright pink Mercedes and…………….

OK, enough leg pulling. We at least got a FB presence.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.