Home – New Forums Starting your journey Help please!! Becoming a migration agent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    graham crane
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

This is actually my first post on this very good FS site! My name is Graham Crane in Brisbane. I currently work full time as a tax accountant and am sort of getting tired of it, its probably not just me and I like dealing with people more than anything else and being creative. I am interested in dealing with people from other cultures and have done a Migration Law course. I have helped friends of friends deal with the Dept of Immigration and get visas etc and it is something which I just sort of have a good knack of.

I can now become registered as a Migration Agent with MARA and am considering flying solo and running my own business as a Migration agent. It costs around $2,000 to become registered with MARA.

Was wondering if any members here know or have heard of other people who have run their own Migration Agent business? If so, how have they gone? I might start doing it on the side initially with a dream of doing it full time so I can be my own boss!

Am interested to know if people here think I can make a decent crust doing this line of work (I am 26 years old and probably do not yet have the wisdom to see whether a business opportunity is worthwhile or not in the long run)?

If people thing my idea is OK, I was thinking that I should probably do a website and market it on the internet using google adwords etc just so people become familiar with the business…

I would be really keen for any ideas or help whatsoever from people on this forum, anything at all would be appreciated – I really want to fly solo and just need help to find the best way of doing this and I thought perhpas that Migration Agency business might be a way to start off?

Anyway, would appreciate any comments (good or bad) whatsoever! Thanks and take care everyone.
    Graham Crane

RaspberryBlack
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi Graham,

Maybe you want to have a close look at the whole freelancing thing first? There’s more to it than one might first think of and I personally find it quite overwhelming every now and again. I love the book “How to be a Rockstar Freelancer” – I find it really encouraging and helpful with all the things one might forget at first glance. Altough it’s tailored to Designers and the lot many things are quite similar for all freelancers – like branding yourself, getting clients, getting paid…

I hope this is helpful in any way :)
    Cheers,
    Tina

graham crane
    Up

Thanks Tina – looks helpful indeed!

Can anyone out there also please let me know there views?

Have a great Saturday!
    Cheers,
    Graham

hmirz
    • Total posts: 69
    Up

Hi again Graham!

I think that if you deal with your clients honestly and with intergrity, you will do well and get a good reputation out there.

I know a handful of migration agents. Some do well, some do modestly and some do it on the side (in addition to full-time employment).

At the outset, I would advertise once you become a registered migration agent (on google as you have suggested). I would then really undercut the other larger migration firms in terms of fees they charge. Finally, make sure you are honest with clients about their prospects of obtaining visas etc. The migration agents that do not do well out there have a reputation for luring clients, charging exorbitant fees and being unsuccessful.

If you are passionate about, and it seems you are, I am sure your business will grow over time but you may want to start small scale, allow the opportunity for growth and then quit your day job.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,
    Hamid Mirza
    Barrister-at-Law
    http://www.panachelegal.com

Krisy
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

Hi Graham,
    Good that you are thinking about being a migration agent. I had friends who are in the industry, I think in fact there are quite a lot of migration agents in the market and most of them have a community that they target on, and they advertise inside the community (ie community’s local newspaper, forum etc.) Why dont you start to do some advertising at university such as student forums etc, there are alot of students who wants to migrant but not sure how to do. you maybe able to offer some help and charge a small fee to start with. Once you help some people and words spread, you may get some more business. I think it is low costing to start and you can do it on the side (if you still have a day job). It takes time to build up business and i think network is very important.
    Anyway Good luck.
    Krisy

graham crane
    Up

Thanks Krisy and Hamid!

Mateja
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Graheme,

just wondering what are your experiences so far ?
    Worthwhile persuing ?
    What are the biggest challenges ?

Possible to make a living out of it ?

I am considering flying solo in this area, so would appreciate any advice…

thanks in advance, Mateja

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Mateja, unfortunately Graham hasn’t been logged into FS since April 2011. If you go to his profile and send him an email, you may have a better chance of getting some feedback on his experiences.

Good luck !!

Wendy :)

Praty
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Hi,

Please check this information i found on a Victorian government website. This might be helpful for you.

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/visas-and-immigrating/how-to-migrate/using-a-migration-agent

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.