Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Help please!-How to market Self Help DVD’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Martyj
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi All

I have an excellent DVD that i want to market. It is locally produced (Australian) and a self help video (i wont go into detail -im NOT trying to sell it here!!).
    It is a 3 DVD set. I am looking at different marketing avenues . I am setting up a webpage and will run google adwords to drive traffic to the website.I will have a few youtube clips with links to the website.
    I have NO experience selling to bookstores but this would be one obvious outlet.
    Others would be to libraries , counselling services.

Any other thoughts appreciated

Cheers

Marty

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Marty,

Nice to meet you, and thanks for joining us.

I’ll be interested in the ideas you receive in response to your questions, but wonder if you might receive more feedback if you give us a hint as to what the DVDs are about.

All the best,
    Jayne

wls
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hi Marty,

Libraries and bookshops will sometimes buy direct but mostly acquire material through library suppliers, book shop supply has its own structure too – a friend who self published found not being in these mainstream systems made things difficult, but to be part of them would diminish her returns to a degree she wasn’t willing to accept. Its easier to target the independent booksellers, they have their own association and regional bookshops can be easier to connect with. ALIA (Aust Library and Information Assoc) might have a complete list of library contacts.

Think about adding some more channels to your marketing – this is where the subject matter would be useful to know –

a Facebook page and Facebook advertising – http://www.hubspot.com/ebooks/facebook-page-marketing-ebook-2011/?source=hspd-webdigest-dedicated-201103 is a great resource and http://www.fanpagelaunchpad.com/ too. Mailchimp has a substantial free allowance of service and an app that lets you put an email registration form into a Facebook page. Have you got a freebie to give away in exchange for registering interest – sample of your content, a report that provides some insight into your DVDS…? Then http://www.facebook.com/advertising – you can geo target and specify in a way that will match your ads to people whose pages indicate an interest in the subject of your product

Other possibilities
    – Twitter http://www.hubspot.com/twitter-marketing-hub/
    – organisations that serve the audience you are targeting who you can target with PR or cooperate with or may have low cost advertising or a service directory
    – PR, the online media release services also include social media placement and help with SEO and traffic generation. You will need to decide what you will do or where you might get some help, but there is heaps of info around about how to do this eg http://www.ducttapemarketing.com/instant-press-release some keywords for searching for ideas/info – PR template, writing newsworthy press releases, press release distribution

hope that’s useful

Wendy Stephens
    4cooks.com.au -coming soon

Martyj
    Up

Hi Wendy and Jayne

Many thanks for the replies. Wendy, without giving too much away the DVD set is to help people struggling with emotional issues (cant be more specific than that). They (the dvd’s) were produced here in Australia and should be very helpful to a wide range of people.

Jayne-great ideas and links-thank you. I have been scouring the ALIA website -and there links to others. I havent found a listing of all Library contacts as yet but have some.

Yes, agree re mainstream booksellers- will be a low margin sale , but possibly good volume if i can crack that. I live in Leichhardt NSW and will drop into shearers and Berkelouw bookstores and enquire how i go about selling to them.

Re FB/Mailchimp etc , thats all new to me so again , thanks for the pointing me in that direction..

Cheers

Marty

wls
    Up

Hi Marty,

knew there was a library directory somewhere http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/libraries

ciao

Wendy Stephens
    4cooks.com.au – coming soon

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    martyj, post: 69222 wrote:
    Jayne-great ideas and links-thank you. I have been scouring the ALIA website -and there links to others. I havent found a listing of all Library contacts as yet but have some.

Yes, agree re mainstream booksellers- will be a low margin sale , but possibly good volume if i can crack that. I live in Leichhardt NSW and will drop into shearers and Berkelouw bookstores and enquire how i go about selling to them.

Re FB/Mailchimp etc , thats all new to me so again , thanks for the pointing me in that direction..

Hi Marty,

I think you got Wendy and I muddled up – she was the one who provided all those awesome links, not me!

Thanks Wendy!

Have a nice sunday,
    Jayne

Martyj
    Up

Hi Wendy and Jayne,

Sorry about getting your names/posts mixed up!! Thanks Wendy for that fantastic link-can access just about every library in Australia-much appreciated. I am wondering , if i should attention any (email)mailouts to liraries, attention who? Library Manager ? Purchasing manager? Are unsolicited emails to libraries likely to be deleted? I am happy to phone prior emailing , so i can explain the value to the community of the dvd’s.Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks again

Cheers

Martin

wls
    Up

Hi Marty,

Try ‘The Librarian – Acquisitions’ – who really depends on the size of the library – in some cases one person covers everything, but this should get it to who decides what to buy.

Libraries have been using technology operationally for 30 years so email should work. I haven’t seen what the library suppliers do these days to distribute book information it could be online. They used to send piles of paper information.

I’d do both a pitch in your email and develop a pdf/document to attach to the email so that they have a nice looking printable piece they can put into their process.

You might have to do some personal contact to get noticed in the volume they handle.

ciao

Wendy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.