Home – New Forums Tech talk help – spam fax-modem number constantly calling mobile

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up
    ::

Fri 20 March 09

Hi anyone, can anyone help please?

I have just received 5 calls in 10 minutes from a number 02 88177400 to my mobile. This number keeps calling my mobile with a fax beep and won’t stop. Doing it again now. I googled the number and it seems other people are having similar problems and they think it’s a telemarketing search.

I called Vodafone and they said they can’t block individual numbers. Does anyone know a way? (I’ve had this mobile number for 20 years for my business since mobiles began, so I don’t want to change it.)

Thank you, Karen

competitions
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

If the mobile phone uses the Symbian operating system, there are some program add-ons to blacklist specific numbers:

aliby and Handy Blacklist

Past-Member
    Up

Competitions …

I didn’t know what ‘symbian’ meant, so I looked it up.

From what I just ‘googled’ for ‘symbian’ it would mean I would have to upgrade my mobile phone? It’s only 10 months old now. Nokia 6110 Navigator. There’s nothing in my current phone that will let me block a number.

competitions
    Up

Hi Karen

Your phone runs the Symbian o/s:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/6110_Navigator

Plenty of blacklist software for it, here’s a free one:
    http://www.handango.com/catalog/ProductDetails.jsp?storeId=2218&deviceId=1043&platformId=20&productId=212003

cheers

Andrew

competitions
    Up

So… how did you go?

Did the spam stop? Did you download software? Did you throw the phone out? Did you forget about this topic…. etc etc.

Ginger15
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Karen,

I read an interesting blog on this very topic the other day – apparently there are industry and government sites where you can register to stop your phone, fax and mail being abused. Haven’t tried it myself.

There was also a very funny fax pro forma that might stop annoying faxes – one person commented that they’d used it and it worked immediately!

Past-Member
    Up

Thank you to all.

Competitions: Yes – I did download the software. I had to install and update the Nokia software first. Then I copied the software file over. The phone asks if you want to install and does it itself. Then I moved the icon to the main window (optional). I have now blocked that particular number. THANK YOU.

It obviously won’t work with private or unlisted numbers, but at least that one has now stopped.

Ginger Re the register site – they don’t allow ‘businesses’ to block numbers. I received a long (polite) letter from the govt site explaining that they realise there is a problem for home businesses, but they haven’t worked out how to resolve as technically they are ‘working business’ numbers if they are advertised anywhere at all.

I ended up getting an extra number on the same land line which rings differently for my family members for calls after 5pm. It costs $6 per month, but is helpful as I was getting major nuisance calls very late at night on our landline.

competitions
    Up

Excellent news, glad it stopped the problem!

:)

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi all,
    If this issue is still a problem for anyone, we have been advised by another Flying Solo member that the company behind the phone number mentioned in the original post belongs to a company called Prodocom Pty Ltd, 141 Osbourne Street, South Yarra, 3141. You can contact Prodocom by telephone on 1300 132 739 and ask them to remove your number from their system.

Good luck!
    Jayne

AISweb
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi FS people.

Slightly off-topic, we’ve been plagued with Fax-spam and here’s our suggestion for sweet revenge.

1. Google search the company involved (e.g. inkman.com.au )

2. If you’re lucky, they will have Pay Per Click ads running. These are the listings above and to the right of the actual organic search results.

3. Each click will likely cost them from 50c to a couple of dollars.

4. Click, click, click.

5. Repeat step 4.

Enjoy your revenge.
    Paul.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Just did a bit of research for you and can confirm Jayne’s comments above.

PRODOCOM
    Tel (National) : 1300 132 739
    Facsimile : +61 2 9993 8301

Feel free to get in contact with them and give them your two bobs worth!

– Jake

Brandon
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

How they got your mobile number in the first place? They can be reported to your carrier for abuse if you want to stop receiving messages.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.