Home – New Forums Tech talk HELP – Website Advise – SEO, Design, etc..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    KimC
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I have been reading through this section to get help on what I should do, SEO regards which my website.

Now, I’m concerned I’m doing something wrong on my website – as I just dont seem to be receiving any enquiries from it. I track my analytics practically daily.

Last weeking I was at an expo, and expected that my website would have more people look at this week. And it doesnt appear as though thats happened.

The other concern is my search engine % is around the 7-8% which is not good enough.

I have invested in this website quite a bit, and it has fantastic back end including direct fullfillment to my pro lab. The appearance is rather limited, and I feel I have done the best I could do, which those limitations.

So I guess – throw me your constructive criticism, suggestions regarding some basic seo. Or even tell me I should change providers.. or PM if you think you can assist me..

I’m also concerned my url is not the best option, so I might want to change that.

the URL – http://www.illuminationoflife.com.au

wpmdigital
    • Total posts: 55
    Up

I’m not sure if your system allows you to edit title and description but first thing I noticed that not all your pages contain keywords in the title:
    eg about us – see screenshot http://screencast.com/t/2ehpUcAtmI

And when I had a quick glance at the source code, there’s not much of description at all. This should also contain some key phrases.

Your image alt tags and titles should also have key phraes cycled through it – once again not sure if you have control over this in your system :)

Instead of /weddings for the page on weddings perhaps try
    /wollongong-weddings and so on.

I’m not the expert on SEO but if you like I can send through details of my SEO person.

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up

Kim,
    You mention changing providers but do not explain what they are providing.
    What type of SEO or SEM are you using?

Upesh
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Hi,

I just had a quick look at your site, and my general feedback are as follows:

1) Before worrying about any web marketing, I’d first focus on website optimisation – identify a goal for each page.e.g. email enquiry, phone enquiry, direct the visitors to another page, etc and customise each page accordingly. Read up on landing pages to get an idea.

2) I feel your content could do better. Identify key phrases that are non competitive but is popular among your customers. Weave these key phrases into your content. There are several SEO tools that can help you with this. Once you get this sorted focus on getting quality links coming into your site.

3) You may want to consider Google AdWords or Yahoo! Search Marketing, which are great marketing tools to drive quality traffic instantly onto your site.

4) Re URL, it’s usually recommended to add a key phrase that your customers would search for. e.g. photographysomething.com.au

Lastly when it comes to do with any type of web marketing, I believe anybody can learn and do it themselves, but like any new thing there is always a learning curve. I’ve been working in the web marketing space for over 4 years professionally now and I still learn something new everyday. I’d love to help but I’m addicted to my own advertising site :)

One other thing, if you decide to get an SEO consultant, be sure to ask that person SEO related questions before getting any help. There’s a video here that covers some basic questions which can help you find a good SEO consultant – http://www.seomoz.org/blog/seo-interview-questions-whiteboard-friday

Hope that helps.

Good Luck!

Upesh

KimC
    Up
    OneArmedGraphics, post: 84477 wrote:
    Kim,
    You mention changing providers but do not explain what they are providing.
    What type of SEO or SEM are you using?

what the people i have are providing, is essentially a very basic website, with a comprehesive photo gallery, shopping cart, and direct fullfillment from my pro lab.

In regards to SEO, not much – except reading here something along the lines I need links to my site, as in put my url on many directories. The website provider do have SEO guides, and specifically for their sites – so I will have to read that in detail.

SEM – i’m a noob here – no idea what that is? if you could explain that would be great

KimC
    Up

So I think think might be a bit to much to do myself – so I am look for someone to help:
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/need-resource-got-good-referral/15111-looking-search-engine-optimization-expert.html#post85120

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

That URL doesn’t seem to be working. I’d say that’s a fair problem if people have been trying to go to the site and it’s not working…

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Think it’s a typo if it’s supposed to be illumination

KimC
    Up

Yes it was a typo, I have fixed it now… opps… I type it so many times, i was bound to do it wrong sooner or later..

Newleaf Exchange
    • Total posts: 95
    Up

Hi, after reading this thread I thought I would check out what Meta data I have and found I have nothing! Looks like I need to add some code…

Thanks for staring the thread! :)

morpheyous
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

Hi Kim

I do Seo for small business.

I am on first page for Perth Internet Marketing

I have a No Rank No Pay policy

perth-internetmarketing.com.au

Have a look if you like.

Peter

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

A problem for many in the wide variety of visual arts fields is that most of their website pages are graphics, not words.

Eg:
    http://www.illuminationoflife.com.au/galleries/portraits
    http://www.illuminationoflife.com.au/galleries
    http://www.illuminationoflife.com.au/authenticate/jasmine-juliet
    http://www.illuminationoflife.com.au/authenticate/jane-daniel

Search engine programs are written to analyse words on pages. If a site is largely comprised of pages like the above, they can’t rank highly in search results.

The starting point for remedial action is research, then a content plan.

Research:
    1. How the potential users of your services search.
    2. Your online competition – their strengths and weaknesses.

Now you need to develop a content plan.

I have not done any specific research but my casual impression is that “wedding photography” is quite a competitive online market.

I suggest your start point would be to publish a bunch of case studies pages. I’m sure you can’t get into specifics that would identify individual people without their authority. You might try asking some of your clients for permission to publish more of their pics along with your explanation of how/why your pics are so good.

I find most photographers presume that us amateurs know what goes into a great pic – we don’t have a clue.

You need to tell us! If you don’t, we will all think we can take great wedding photographs with our mobile phones.

Get your content strategy together, then you can start talking about SEO.

If you don’t have words on pages you can’t implement any SEO.

If you are considering buying Google Adwords you still need to implement these recommendations. The cost and volume of Adword referrals is also affected by these same issues.

Regs,
    JohnW

nz_kastaway
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

As stated – Content is going to be key here.

The research recommended is absolutely imperative – No use optimising for keywords no-one searches for.

Once you have the keywords – Make sure your:

1. Content

tags
    3. Meta Keywords
    4. Meta Description
    5. Alt Txt (image txt)

Is all consistent with your keywords.

On site optimisation will only get you so far if your competitors have a well structured linking regime..

Great linking techniques can get you found in google without comprehensive content. Though generally these tactics are seen as ‘unethical’.

Google loves free information – So feel free to give a little.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Listen carefully, I will say this only 1,000 times:

Meta Keywords do NOT assist ranking. Neither does a Meta Description.

A lot of experiments have also shown that H1, H2, H3… have little to do with it…

calebmarshall
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    Aidan, post: 86494 wrote:
    Listen carefully, I will say this only 1,000 times:

Meta Keywords do NOT assist ranking. Neither does a Meta Description.

A lot of experiments have also shown that H1, H2, H3… have little to do with it…

Very true. The only thing you need a meta description for is to ‘sell’ to your target market ‘why they should click on your listing (rather than your competitors) in the search engines’ once you have ranked your site under appropriate keyword terms.

I’d still run with optimised H1 tags, however content is more important here.

Also you don’t have your page URL’s optimised. They’re either /weddings or /portraits etc. These need to be renamed to applicable search phrases for customers looking for your products. Then ensure the content and page URL are along the same path.

Also fix your image alt tags as mentioned – however I don’t think you’ll have a lot of buying customers coming through the image side of the search engines. Nonetheless it’s good to have them optimised regardless.

Once that’s achieved outsource some link building – if you really want to see significant change.

You just need to make sure that you have the on-page optimisation complete. It’s like constructing a residential building. On page is the foundations, you need it there, however it’s not going to be the big money maker – that’ll come with quality off-page optimisation from someone who knows what they’re doing (especially in the competitive photography niche).

Hope that helps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.