Home – New Forums Money matters Help with a dishonest customer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Davejochow
    • Total posts: 38
    Up
    ::

Hi
    Im having trouble with PayPal and a customer, I did lighting for an event for them and I processed their payment through PayPal. 2 months later PayPal says I have negative funds and have frozen my account, the payment she gave me has been put in a kinda escrow and she has opened a dispute. I tried to contact her and I was ignored, but I showed her the picture of the job, then respond saying she would contact her accountant. she emails me asking for a receipt although I though PayPal gave a receipt after a fews days. I sent one. I told her that the dispute on palpal should only be opened if she had an issue, or the job was not done, not because she needed a receipt, because now I have to prove to PayPal that i did the job for her. I told her that it seemed dodgy (my accountant father verified this), she got angry with me. Any way I sent another receipt, and probably said some things i shouldn’t have about her doing dodgy tax things for personal parties. Now she wont fix the problem and have left the dispute as it is, and told me I can’t contact her again, Paypal says its going to take 70 days to fix the dispute, I can’t use it for 70 days unless I put $500 of my funds in there. what should I do? I think she is trying to get the money back, but I do have photo evidence of the job,
    thanks everyone

tfowler
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Hi Jo, I might be able to help you with this… if you would like to give me a call on Monday, we can have a chat… 0408 233 265

cheers

Tracy

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Yes paypal do send a receipt for payments made, but that is only a receipt saying funds have being paid, it doesn’t necessarily say what they were for, or it doesn’t specifically mention GST (if applicable).

So it is fair enough for the client to ask for a receipt from the business who they have paid, wouldn’t you want a receipt to confirm payment and for what.

Before taking the matter to a credit manager, I would suggest you contact the client and apologise for the manner in which you handled it, as its basically none of your business if they are doing a tax dodge, they are entitled to a receipt, how they use it is between them, there conscience and the tax office. Just because they want a receipt it doesn’t mean they are doing a tax dodge (well not on the details provided here).

Sorry if you accused me of doing dodgy things because I asked for a receipt I wouldn’t be happy either.

Davejochow
    Up
    bb1, post: 244401, member: 53375 wrote:
    Yes paypal do send a receipt for payments made, but that is only a receipt saying funds have being paid, it doesn’t necessarily say what they were for, or it doesn’t specifically mention GST (if applicable).

So it is fair enough for the client to ask for a receipt from the business who they have paid, wouldn’t you want a receipt to confirm payment and for what.

Before taking the matter to a credit manager, I would suggest you contact the client and apologise for the manner in which you handled it, as its basically none of your business if they are doing a tax dodge, they are entitled to a receipt, how they use it is between them, there conscience and the tax office. Just because they want a receipt it doesn’t mean they are doing a tax dodge (well not on the details provided here).

Sorry if you accused me of doing dodgy things because I asked for a receipt I wouldn’t be happy either.

Thanks for replying, but I think you have may have missed the point. the problem is not that they asked for a receipt the problem is that they froze the payment although I have done the job. I gave her a receipt and waited a few days before i said anything, but she still didnt unfreeze my payment. My father is an accountant and says this is very unethical. All she needed to do was ask for a receipt. Its like me eating a meal and not paying for it because they forgot to give me a receipt, even before asking for a receipt, then they get upset because you are not paying. I provided with a receipt and she still hasn’t unfroze my payment.
    . Its like a paid you for your services and then froze the payment so you dont get paid. The problem is not a receipt, its the excuse to freeze payment and try and get something for free. I need help to without having to go to court, thats why I’m seeking advise.

Davejochow
    Up

I dont think apologising is going to make a difference, she is dodgy, and trying to get my service for free. I gave her the receipt before I got angry with her and waited but she still didnt unfreeze the payments then I got angry, and that why i got upset. I might have to go to a mediator or small claims court. Im not sure what you are saying about a credit manager.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

This could be a simple misunderstanding, on many levels.. your customer may not have recognised the charge, as such advised paypal to clarify – paypal them freeze the funds til resolved between them and financial institution if done via cc etc etc…

You dont really know what the other person is doing, nor the reasons or anything else.. Its all perception, rightly or wrongly i dont know, although if anyone ever freezes funds and you know what job it is all that should be done is you call your client and ask ‘hey i notice you placed a hold on the charge through paypal, did you not realise what the charge was?’ then wait for a reply, if you get no answer or they flat out refute it – the matter then becomes a fraudulent case that you can either a) lodge with a credit chaser to get the funds or b) lodge it as a police matter as it is fraud with obtaining a service by deception (hope you have proof etc etc)…

Bert, IMO, is merely saying that you should potentially not jump to conclusions nor interpret what the person is or is not doing, keep it factual and do not read between the lines.. If i bought something, forgot what the charge was, i too would ask paypal to say what it was for to clarify the charges – just saying… Sometimes, the paypal description of your business may not represent the service or the business name in which the service was booked under, which can add additional confusion.

To resolve any issue, in this case you are trying to recoup your money from a customer, its best not to insult them as they could and possibly will, get their backs up and protest regardless merely because of the manner in which you approached them :(

Good luck, keep us informed..

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Davejochow
    Up

Thanks Jason but I feel as though I must not have been explaining it properly. I did contact her, and explain that it was me very politely, She knew it was me that did the job, she told me and I showed her a picture. I gave her the receipt its only after the fact that it wasn’t refunded, I got upset. Its been a while and I came here to wonder how to get the money. I wish i didnt mention it because I dont think its relevant, because it was after the receipt was submitted, and the money wasn’t given back I got upset. She new it was fraudulent activity she knew it was my lighting. Paypal dispute is there if they are fraudulent activity. But she knew I did the job and I gave the the receipt.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.