Home – New Forums Find the help you need Help with About Us website page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alimay
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

I am in the process of writing about my business on my web page. The reality is that I am doing this because I have had a lot of personal tragedy in my life and I am now of the opinion that its time to do something for me and what do I have to lose? So I am giving it a go.
    I am a one woman band and I want to give my business the personal touch. Obviously I don’t want to share my life story but I am supporting charities that have helped me in the past with a percentage of each sale. That is something that is personally important to me.
    I know a lot of people say to use the term “us” as it is more professional and makes a business seem larger than it is.
    When writing “us” in my about us page it just doesn’t feel right.
    Can I please get opinions as to what you would think if you saw my very professional website but found out that I was one person doing this for personal reasons? I would like to say “I have chosen these charities because they are close to my heart”. Rather than the less personal “we are donating 5% to support these charities”
    Any and all opinions and advise is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I normally don’t like about us pages which give long winded live histories, but in the case with giving to charities I think it is better to use the more personal approach so using the “I” approach to me would be the better. It is showing you are doing it with feeling and not just a sales and marketing approach.

So to me “”I have chosen these charities because they are close to my heart”., sounds ok

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    Alimay, post: 210995 wrote:
    I know a lot of people say to use the term “us” as it is more professional and makes a business seem larger than it is.

It might help to know what business you’re in.
    For instance, if you’re selling products online, then “Us” portrays a larger company and therefore the customer will trust you more.
    Whereas if you’re a solo photographer, then it’s better to say ‘I’ to set the level of expectation that the client can have. (It also shows that the client will deal with you, rather than a minion)

Alimay
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 210998 wrote:
    It might help to know what business you’re in.
    For instance, if you’re selling products online, then “Us” portrays a larger company and therefore the customer will trust you more.
    Whereas if you’re a solo photographer, then it’s better to say ‘I’ to set the level of expectation that the client can have. (It also shows that the client will deal with you, rather than a minion)

I am selling home décor online.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I am normally with john, and I use “us” myself, but in this case you are selling your personal message.

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Hi!

I love reading stories of strong beautiful women winning in business – it’s empowering and inspiring!

Who are you targeting in your business? Who are you speaking to? Who’s your dream customer?

How do you want them to walk away feeling?

Alimay
    Up
    TheGoldenGoose, post: 211007 wrote:
    Hi!

I love reading stories of strong beautiful women winning in business – it’s empowering and inspiring!

Who are you targeting in your business? Who are you speaking to? Who’s your dream customer?

How do you want them to walk away feeling?

I would say that I am targeting more of a female audience from about 20 up. I hope that a broader audience would take advantage of the gift packs that I will be producing. It should make men’s lives a little easier when it comes to buying gifts for the ladies in their lives! I am sure that will just come with time, hard work and clever marketing.

I would like them to walk away feeling like they did a good deed by shopping in my shop. They contributed to a cause, they supported Aussie made/designed or Fair trade which is all a big part of my shop. I believe in all these things and my shop will reflect this.

I would like them to walk away feeling like they are bringing home something to make their lives a little more relaxing (the point of difference with my shop is that it is all about “island living”). I am having different “collections” each named after an island or area of islands around the world that reflect their unique styles. Even if it’s just a coconut candle made by an Aussie company. I hope it helps them escape even for a minute.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Alimay,

You’ve said yourself that “us” doesn’t feel right. I’d go with “I” and use the same compass to guide you whenever you talk about your business – being more truthful is the way to being more authentic.

If you still want to speak about your company as “us”, you could always start your About page with “A personal message from our director” or similar.

If you’re willing to be transparent that you are a company of one, however, this can be a positive too:
    1) Easier to be authentic (you’re not having to pretend you’re something you’re not).
    2) There are genuine advantages you can offer as a 1 person business that a company can’t. Especially since you’ve stated you want your business to have a personal touch. Examples:
    -Each item is hand-made or chosen by you personally (or passes your strict personal standards).
    -You put your name, face, identity behind your products builds a lot of trust because you’re making yourself personally accountable.
    -This accountability might work well with a strong and dependable returns policy.
    -Things like – “your order will be personally posted by me on the day you order”.

So you could in fact put a personal touch throughout each part of your business, if you choose to go by that route.

Good luck!

Dave

Alimay
    Up
    FS Forum Support, post: 211028 wrote:
    Hi Alimay,

You’ve said yourself that “us” doesn’t feel right. I’d go with “I” and use the same compass to guide you whenever you talk about your business – being more truthful is the way to being more authentic.

If you still want to speak about your company as “us”, you could always start your About page with “A personal message from our director” or similar.

If you’re willing to be transparent that you are a company of one, however, this can be a positive too:
    1) Easier to be authentic (you’re not having to pretend you’re something you’re not).
    2) There are genuine advantages you can offer as a 1 person business that a company can’t. Especially since you’ve stated you want your business to have a personal touch. Examples:
    -Each item is hand-made or chosen by you personally (or passes your strict personal standards).
    -You put your name, face, identity behind your products builds a lot of trust because you’re making yourself personally accountable.
    -This accountability might work well with a strong and dependable returns policy.
    -Things like – “your order will be personally posted by me on the day you order”.

So you could in fact put a personal touch throughout each part of your business, if you choose to go by that route.

Good luck!

Dave

Some really great suggestions. Thanks Dave.

checkvault
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    Alimay, post: 210995 wrote:
    I am in the process of writing about my business on my web page. The reality is that I am doing this because I have had a lot of personal tragedy in my life and I am now of the opinion that its time to do something for me and what do I have to lose? So I am giving it a go.
    I am a one woman band and I want to give my business the personal touch. Obviously I don’t want to share my life story but I am supporting charities that have helped me in the past with a percentage of each sale. That is something that is personally important to me.
    Can I please get opinions as to what you would think if you saw my very professional website but found out that I was one person doing this for personal reasons? I would like to say “I have chosen these charities because they are close to my heart”. Rather than the less personal “we are donating 5% to support these charities”
    Any and all opinions and advise is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

There’s an article in Flying Solo’s home page today talking on this topic.

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/marketing/business-writing/6-about-page-mistakes-youre-probably-making

It has some pretty good tips that you can have a look at.

Cheers,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.