Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Help with online Marketing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    siringo
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    ::

I know there are a quadzillion internet marketers out there, but I’m wondering if the people here can help me out with getting started on what I need to do to promote a web site I’m thinking of putting together.

It’s going to be on a competitive topic, but not overly competitive and I am initially going to try and get business locally, by locally I mean I will be driving to visit potential clients.

I’m going to get a professional WordPress template and build my site using WordPress posts/blogging and not a conventional html website.

I’ll be setting up a Twitter account and maybe Facebook as well.

I really want to have a professional looking site as I believe first impressions are the most important ones.

So if anyone can point me at some good articles on getting a good Google rank, how to use Twitter effectively and so on I’d be very appreciative.

If there are any Aussie based marketers/promoters reading this I’m more than happy to be shown your website as marketing info from the US is not always applicable to us down here.

Thanks.

Samot
    • Total posts: 157
    Up

My advice would be to use google keywords tool

https://adwords.google.com.au/select/KeywordToolExternal

This tells you more about what people are searching for on the internet about your niche.

Once you have found a keyword that has a high traffic volume and not much competition, build your website around those keywords by getting a domain name which includes the keywords and writing your content to mention them.

For cheap startup marketing I think this is the best way to go about it.

Definitely invest in a premium word template and shop around til your completely satisfied, then pay a developer to add touching features that will get you sales.

I’d make twitter and facebook a second priority

good luck

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

One word: Strategy.

A template is going to look good, but unlikely going to suit your goals overly well.

Blundering into social media without a strategy will likely see you waste your time.

A US marketing strategy applies to an AU marketing strategy – in that the first rule is: You must have a marketing strategy.

If you’re serious about investing your time and money into your business, then email me on [email protected].

If you’re persistent on DIY, then I would suggest you invest 6 months of your time before you start, to learn everything you can about online marketing. Get on Google and start reading EVERYTHING you can find about SEO, SEM, Social Media strategies, social bookmarking, email marketing, blogging, article marketing, etc etc.

Ali Dark
    Participant
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Hey there

Chris’s advice is sound. But you can start your blog right away. Let me know if you need help with that.

Additionally register your location with Google Places – I wrote a post on my blog about how to do this effectively…

http://becauseyouloveit.com.au/6-tips-on-making-your-google-local-listing-work/

As for online marketing, I did just see a special that looks right up your alley – http://tinyurl.com/qtrawesomeness. It’s on special until some time today but it does look worth the on-special price. Otherwise, you’ll be able to research other materials to help you get your strategy straight in your head. Google Naomi Dunford,

If you’re selling a service, skelliewag.org has a very useful ebook on sale.

And thelaunchcoach.com has a library, the last book is very useful.

Good luck!

siringo
    Up

Thanks all for your replies, everything bit of info is very helpful.

I’ve got an idea of the type of business I want to setup and an idea of how I’m going to go about getting my initial clients, but other than that I’m at a bit of a loss I must admit.

I know what I want to achieve and where I want to be in both 6 months and 5 years, but I’m having trouble joining lots of mental dots together.

I’m still trying to put together a plan of attack, or a business plan, never done one before, not sure what’s involved and don’t even really know how to put one together.

I need to get this businesss going, as what I’m doing currently, I don’t believe to be a long term thing. Luckily I do have time to get things sorted out before my current venture may die.

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

I recently ran an online course on the Two Hour Business Plan, you can read about it here http://superwahm.com/2hrplan While the pilot course has closed for now, if you want the course please pm me.

You really need a business plan to join all those mental dots and bring some clarity and direction.

johnpaulgrant
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Just start creating great content mate … lots of it! If you give a lot, you will eventually get back!

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up
    johnpaulgrant, post: 37163 wrote:
    Just start creating great content mate … lots of it! If you give a lot, you will eventually get back!
    Not quite. Firstly you need to know who your selling to and what they want. Then you can give them the content that they want.

Secondly, just putting out free content doesn’t give you customers. It trains them to expect free and they can get narky when you suddenly start selling to them. The expectation that you will be selling in the future if not immediately needs to be there right from the word go.

Great content is certainly necessary, however there’s a lot more that needs to be done as well. It’s only one aspect of marketing.

Clodagh S.Higgins
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

I would highly recommend getting Market Samurai http://www.marketsamurai.com – the offer a free demonstration and you can get your list of targeted keywords – up to 200 specifically in Australia – you can also look at the competition too – this will form a great basis of how your website should look.
    Having your keyword in the url, title, description of your website will go a long way to getting you a high ranking with google.

Hope you have great success
    Clodagh
    [email protected]
    http://www.getfocusedconsulting.com.au

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    Clodagh S.Higgins, post: 37181 wrote:
    I would highly recommend getting Market Samurai

I don’t think this advice is quite sound for this particular poster – nothing against the product in General. Market Samurai is a particular piece of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) software that can be quite powerful in the right hands, but could also be confusing and detrimental as well.

siringo, I think you would be wise to listen to the advice of those such as Melinda_B and Chris Bates – you need to work out your strategy first, get some planning down etc. Planning doesn’t have to be this highly structured formal document up front, but you do need to definately get some plans down on paper and get some overall marketing and business strategy happening first. Tools like Market Samurai can help with picking keywords and SEO, but you need to work out first who you are as a business, what you are offering, how you will structure things etc, and from there go to investigating the tools, resources and people required to get you where you need to be.

Hope this helps a little
    Matt
    Marketing Web

The Internet Bloke
    • Total posts: 131
    Up
    siringo, post: 36950 wrote:
    So if anyone can point me at some good articles on getting a good Google rank, how to use Twitter effectively and so on I’d be very appreciative.

There’s a lot of smoke, mirrors, and misinformation about SEO and getting on top of google.

Here’s a guide I wrote for my clients on the importance of Keywords, and why just being at the top of Google means nothing.

Here’s a link to an SEO guide by Jon Leger, who cuts through all the SEO crap and tells you what works, and what to do.

Both of these are free. Click on them and download them.
    You don’t have to sign up to any smegging list.

cheers,
    Eric G.

siringo
    Up

Again, thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I’ve purchased some material to help me put together a quick and nasty business plan, downloaded several free ebooks and papers and things are starting to take shape nicely.

But best of all some work, walked in the door yesterday and asked if I’d be interested in undertaking it on an ongoing basis with a state government department and the work fits in beautifully with where I want my business to head, so things are quite exciting at present.

If anyone knows of a good ‘services’ themed WordPress theme/template, please let me know, I’ve found some but they just aren’t quite what I’m looking for.

The Internet Bloke
    • Total posts: 131
    Up
    siringo, post: 37349 wrote:
    If anyone knows of a good ‘services’ themed WordPress theme/template, please let me know, I’ve found some but they just aren’t quite what I’m looking for.

Have a search for the Atuahalpa and Swift themes.
    (I use Swift on my own website)

These are both free, and are very flexible. they can be set up to create any image or “look” that you like, without the need for coding. you just specify options, etc. and insert widgets, graphics, etc as appropriate.

Good luck with your prospective work.
    Just make sure that your rate is sufficient to cover the meetings, modifications, payment delays, focus sessions, etc. that you may experience when dealing with government departments..

cheers,
    Eric G.

ClareS
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

I completely agree with the posts here. Including the post regarding content.
    Research is key – you need to know what you are doing online before you waste time doing the wrong thing.
    I would read through the materials people have added here, build a business plan with achievable goals, then get started.
    If you want more information there are also free resources out there. I would take advantages of these firstly.

Good Luck.

Arnold Shields
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

I have posted this before but it may help. Someone else summarised the principles further to Attraction, Attention and Conversion.

A quick overview of my 10 steps to a successful internet strategy are

1. Get a WordPress website.
    2. Understand SEO – Search Engine Optimisation – There are rules to having high ranking Google pages – you need to know them – because you will be using them every day.
    3. Measurement– I’m sure that you have heard “What you can measure you can manage” – there are some great free tools – Google Analytics and Google Webmaster by Google that tell you where you visitors came from, where they visited, what keywords they used etc. You need to install those on your WordPress site.
    4. Write Blogs – why blogs … because people love blogs and Google loves blogs. Blogs are a very effective way to build reputation and trust with your customers.
    5. Keep them coming back – Developing ideas that will keep your target customers coming back to your site.
    6. Build your email list – Very few people will buy on the first visit to your site. Studies have shown that email is one of the most effective online selling mechanisms.
    7. Website Optimisation – Your website will require constant tweaking so that you can get people to stay longer and buy more. Read up on Landing Page Optimisation, split testing and Google website Optimizer.
    8. Social Media – It’s about spreading the word. The social media that you use will depend on the target demographics of your target customers.
    9. Email your list – Your list are the people who trust you and are most likely to buy from you. You will have to email them on a regular basis.
    10. Don’t stop – Keep on writing blogs, listen to want your customers are looking for, develop ebooks, develop tools, continue building your email list, optimise your site, use social media.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.