Home – New Forums Other discussions Help with starting a food business

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jenniferhunter
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

I am a housewife and mother of 3. My kids are almost all teenagers, so in the last few years I have found lots of spare time to start doing my own thing, especilly now that two of them are driving and hardly seem to need me to run them around anymore. This free time has developed into a great skill, I have discovered that I make the most amazing homemade chocolate.

My eldest daughter suggested that since I just seem to be having more and more free time, I should maybe start to produce, pack and sell my chocolates as gifts, especially during mothersday/christmas/ easter etc.

This sounded like a great idea, I think I could go really well with this. The problem is a friend of mine told me that legally I am unable to cook in my home kitchen and sell food products. Does anyone know anything about these rules? Or how I can overcome it?

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi Jennifer,

I don’t know if that is entirely the case, there are probably just a number of regulations you must meet. I am not sure where you are based, but this might be some helpful info to start with:

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/industry/industry-sector-requirements/home-based-and-mixed-businesses/

I think there are a number of people/businesses that bake/cook at home and sell at market stalls, online etc.

Best of luck and hope the link helps

MYOK
    Participant
    • Total posts: 146
    Up
    Quote:
    This sounded like a great idea, I think I could go really well with this. The problem is a friend of mine told me that legally I am unable to cook in my home kitchen and sell food products. Does anyone know anything about these rules? Or how I can overcome it?

Hi Jennifer, we help people do this all the time. Unfortunately we are in Melbourne. The Food regulations are all governed by your local Council and they should be your first point of contact to see what they expect. All kitchens that produce food for sale to the general public need to comply with the food regulations and unfortunately, most home kitchens don’t. However, some Councils will make a judgement call on whether your kitchen is suitable depending on how “risky” your product is. Confectionery is usually low risk (not like rice or meat). You can sometimes find a shared kitchen facility via classified advertisement sites like Gumtree, but I am not aware of any true kitchen incubators in Queensland. If you’d like to message me for more information, please feel free.

Canex Graphic Designs
    • Total posts: 222
    Up

Hey Jennifer,

Like others have said – it depends where you are based. For example, I actually have some customers who work from home – one of them cooks meat, vegetables, salads, sandwiches, etc. So it is more than possible!

Get in contact with your local council and they will point you in the right direction. They will most likely have a food inspector visit your home to determine whether or not you can register it as a place in which you can cook. If they register you and you can run your business from home, they will inspect your kitchen a couple of times a year to make sure you are keeping up with their strict standards.

So as I said – go to your council and they will have all the info you need. But it shouldn’t be impossible.

Best of luck!

Nelson

jenniferhunter
    Up

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your replies!!

I actually found this great site http://www.rentakitchen.com.au – they actually have kitchens on there who are looking to hire out their kitchens. I found a kitchen already and am well on my way to baking up a storm…!

If anyone else out there is looking to start a food business, i strongly suggest you take a look at rent a kitchen.

They have friendly staff also, who helped me out!

Thanks again for your replies…

I have found out some interesting information, so if you guys have any questions, please do not hesitate in contacting me!

Jen

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    jenniferhunter, post: 77679 wrote:
    …so if you guys have any questions, please do not hesitate in contacting me!

Would you like a sampler to give honest feedback? Happy to offer my services :D

Good luck with the business and good on you for getting out and making it happen !!

Wendy

Canex Graphic Designs
    • Total posts: 222
    Up

Glad we could help Jennifer!

And thanks for letting us know about rent a kitchen – might come in handy for clients in the future :)

PS. I’m with Couple It… more than happy to taste test your products anytime! :D

Zu
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Dear Jennifer,

I happened to read your osts here. I am looking to get into the food business here in Australia (sydney) Could you please guide with how and where shod I begin. Your first hand guidance will really help

Looking forward to hear from you

Thank you
    Regards
    Zu

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    Zu, post: 138543 wrote:
    Dear Jennifer,

I happened to read your osts here. I am looking to get into the food business here in Australia (sydney) Could you please guide with how and where shod I begin. Your first hand guidance will really help

Thank you
    Regards
    Zu

Hi Zu,

Jennifer hasn’t been active on the forum for over a year. Don’t feel bad if you don’t get a response.
    Perhaps if you start a new thread you might get some fresh answers.

Steve

TempKitchenRent
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    Zu, post: 138543 wrote:
    Dear Jennifer,

Thank you
    Regards
    Zu

Hi Zu

My company TempKitchenRent.com.au rents kitchens by the hour in Ultimo near the Sydney CBD.

I also offer consulting services for new food businesses.

Besides that, you are already in the right track by visiting and interacting with this great site, I advise you to also look into the http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au and the NSW small business website http://www.smallbiz.nsw.gov.au. there is a wealth of useful information there.

Good luck
    Gus

jon20
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Sounds good it seems you did proper research over food business initiation

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I would imagine so long as you follow the health and safety practices, you won’t have any issues.

Rob Perkovic
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

Jennifer,

Good on you for being industrious.

And don’t take too much notice of nay-sayers….they will always come your way.

Just, do the research at the local authorities or head down to the local markets,
    and identify a stall that is making home-made goods and ask them directly, most owners are willing help another entrepreneur.

Best of luck,

glo
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

But Still better Idea is to register your own label or small business with Govt Business Counsels. Or you can be a part of any other company. or business, as worker or something else.

Foodmarkies
    Participant
    Up

I found this step by step for starting a home-based food business quite relevant to your question
    https://www.pickyourown.org/CottageFoodLaws-Australia.php?fbclid=IwAR2pzPkUr8viWD9gu555AmDZ-ogZLguVsmKIikkzAx59gaL6h19aP6PuDuU.

If you need an effective online sales channel for your products, you can consider a community-focused food marketplace place like http://www.foodmarkies.shop

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.