Home – New Forums Tech talk Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hostonbarry
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Ok so my desktop computer is no longer working. My son attempted to do a windows update. It said “windows platform update”. Everything seemed to go fine but now the computer won’t even boot up. It just brings up a black screen with a flashing cursor. Any ideas?

Karl
    • Total posts: 55
    Up

A couple of things to try …

1. The flashing cursor sounds suspiciously like it’s trying to boot from something other than your hard drive.so make sure you don’t have any floppy disks or CD/DVD’s in the drives, then reboot.
    2. If number 1 didn’t work, try holding down your F8 key while the PC is booting. Hopefully this’ll get you into “Safe Mode”. You should then be able to do a System Restore to return the PC to a previously working state.
    3. If your PC won’t even boot into Safe Mode, it’s likely to be something more serious and you’ll need to take it to someone.

Good luck.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

It’s a bit unorthodox, by I generally find a bit of good old fashioned banging and yelling tends to do the trick.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up
    Emroy, post: 23440 wrote:
    It’s a bit unorthodox, by I generally find a bit of good old fashioned banging and yelling tends to do the trick.

I’m going to vouch for this as an IT tech. I once fixed a clients computer by carrying it into my workshop :P

It was a cable jammed into the CPU fan that came loose with the movement, haha.

Karl
    • Total posts: 55
    Up
    Emroy, post: 23440 wrote:

Of course! I believe it’s known as ‘percussive maintenance’ in the trade.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.