Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Helping out the family

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MIK
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

I would like to offer a relative $20 P.W. to take a couple of phone calls. I don’t want to have to go to all the trouble of putting them on the books as an employee for this small amount and they don’t want to have to register themselves as a business either. Is there a way to report this (or legally not report it) without having to go to so much trouble?

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums!

Sound like more of a philosophical question to me than a legal one. ;)

If you get a moment, we’d love you to say hi over in the “Introduce Yourself” section.

Dave

nighttax
    • Total posts: 172
    Up
    MIK, post: 185737 wrote:
    I would like to offer a relative $20 P.W. to take a couple of phone calls. I don’t want to have to go to all the trouble of putting them on the books as an employee for this small amount and they don’t want to have to register themselves as a business either. Is there a way to report this (or legally not report it) without having to go to so much trouble?

Hello Mik
    If the $20/wk is all they will earn for the year then their income will be below the tax threshold so they still won’t have to do a tax return. Also if they do have another job as well there is a section on a tax return for other income (24). They could put it in there to declare it without an ABN.

Regards
    Evan

MIK
    Up

Hi Evan,
    Thanks for your reply.
    It would be $20 per week, but I don’t want to have to go to all the trouble (and paperwork) of having to actually put them on the books as an employee. They could get an ABN and invoice me, but I was hoping there might be another way.

AngusP
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

Hi Mik

if you’ve got an accountant, you could pose the question. A good accountant can show you the best, legal way to overcome the situation.

I’ve always taken the view I don’t want to be worried about a knock on the door with a ‘please explain’ from the ATO.

I’m sure there’s something legal and practicable that you can do in this situation. Accountants will often provide a first appointment for free.

Cheers

Angus Pryor
    http://www.galwijihomestead.com
    http://www.mysteryshoppingguide.com.au

MIK
    Up

Thanks Angus,
    I was just hoping someone here might know of an answer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.