Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Here to Start Something!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    startsomething
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

G’day everyone. My name is Michael; I am 23 years old and live in Melbourne, Victoria.

I’m not really sure what to call myself as I have hundreds of great ideas but yet to actually do anything other than write my ideas down. Hence I wouldn’t yet call myself an entrepreneur (perhaps you could call me an aspiring entrepreneur).

Basically I come up with new ideas – covering a range of industry’s and mediums – all the time; and would love to develop a career based on turning these ideas into business opportunities which can be both profitable and useful to a wide range of people. I would truly like to pursue fun, exciting and challenging ventures, through which I can gain new insights; experiences; friends; and partnerships, all the while changing the world for the better.

At times when I share my ideas with those around me they say things like “what a cool idea”. However I am quite a dreamer or perhaps visionary and while I may have some simpler “cool” ideas I also have many grand ideas to which people most often respond with “no way, it can’t be done”. I am certain however; if they shared my vision they would see the end result long before the journey has even begun.

Therefore I need to meet people who do share my visions or are perhaps seeking an alternate career path, to that of the typical ‘go to work, be bored all day’ routine.

I have been unemployed for about 18 months; and while I realise I could have used this time to begin a new journey, I do have difficulty in taking an idea to the next level. As I generate new ideas all the time I get excited about these ideas and forget about the previous project. So now I need to meet other like minded people who would like the opportunity to start something; and this way I can focus on the project at hand and stop procrastinating.

I love a good challenge and love solving problems hence all these ideas that keep me awake at night, screaming for attention and action. I quite often find the greater the challenge the more exciting it is. So for my first challenge I am going to start something grand.

I am going to develop a new online social media website and take on the ‘big guns’ of the online social media world! I understand this will be a huge task and take a lot of commitment (and aloooooot of money from investors), so you may agree with most when they say “no way, it can’t be done”, but if you get to know me I will show you “where there’s a will, there’s ME and where there’s ME, there’s always a way”.

So is there anyone here who could suggest a way (through personal experience or otherwise) I could meet people who would be interested in developing a partnership; which is based on trust as well as a real desire to take on the world? I have met people already, though none of them show any signs of actually following through. I need to find people who are serious about making things happen.

I am looking to meet people who have specific skills, for example computer programming / engineering as required in the case of my first challenge as mentioned above. However I do not wish to waste any more time so it would be equally great to meet people with skills in areas such as: business; online retail (sourcing products etc.); web design; or even environmental sustainability, for other potential ventures.

So if anyone has any suggestions, or knows of others who may be keen to ‘Start Something’ it would be truly fantastic to hear from you. Also if anyone is personally looking for a new idea I may be just the person to help you create one.

Cheers,

Michael.

Brent Van Der Wel
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hi Michael. I love your attitude. You remind me of myself: always full of enthusiasm and excitement. If you’re like me you have to fight hard to stick on the one subject and see things through. I think working on your own business is a good move for someone in that position as it gives you extra motivation that you might not have working for someone else.

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you are a very enthusiastic budding entrepreneur!

My comments/advice:

1. Ideas are practically worthless. It’s the implementation of an idea that has value. The actual “doing”.

2. I’d start small (that’s my personality) – but it’s probably a safer starting point. Start with something small (i.e. niche) that the big players aren’t interested in – but has a small market.

3. Try and work in a business related area. It’s really hard to get the general consumer to part with cash – or – it’s easier to get a business to part with cash if it produces a positive ROI.

4. You won’t get quality partners unless you can prove that you would be a quality partner yourself, ie. get some experience (see point 2).

It’s worth the 30 minutes or so to watch the video from:
    http://37signals.com/svn/posts/981-the-secret-to-making-money-online
    It has some great advice.

Disclaimer:
    * If everyone is advised to start small and follows that advice – there would be no hugely successful projects.
    * 99.99% of people who start huge world changing projects fail!

startsomething
    Up

G’day Brent,

That is precisely how I feel. I could not stand working for someone else anymore which is why I was so willing to leave my last job.

It may have taken me a while I guess but I am glad I have now signed up to flyingsolo where I can meet people like yourself, who understand the need to do something exciting and perhaps inspiring with their lives.

startsomething
    Up

Hey Ray,

Thanks for the advice, I’ll have a look at that video. I understand what you mean about starting small. However my first venture will most likely be determined by the people I meet and may work with.

It really depends on who I meet, what their intentions are and the skills or attributes they may have. Alternatively I may work on a venture which someone else has developed if I have any attributes to offer them.

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    startsomething, post: 12773 wrote:
    Hey Ray,

[snip]

It really depends on who I meet, what their intentions are and the skills or attributes they may have. Alternatively I may work on a venture which someone else has developed if I have any attributes to offer them.

So what abilities will you bring to a partnership or employee of a startup?

Work out what you think you would be good (sorry – great) at – and like doing – and something that is valuable to startups – and work on improving these skills everyday.

Al the best

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

I’m with Ray – start small, get some runs on the board.

Fact is, even if you meet a bunch of people who would be interested in investing right now – you’re lack of experience in the business arena is going to ensure no one wants to take that risk.

Think about it like this. If you had the chance to invest in two stocks and the potential returns on both were EXACTLY the same … 100% identical … would you invest in the blue chip stock or the experimental stock?

There’s a lot of companies out there fighting for funding – the ones that DO get funded, invariably, are the ones in which the people running it understand the business side of what they are doing.

For information on funding, check out the Australian Anthill website – there you’ll find all of the information you need on what VCs look for.

That doesn’t mean that what you want to do can’t be done – it just means you need to start on the smaller side of things, learn the lessons you need to learn (we all go through this in the first few years – you’ll fail at stuff, screw stuff up and learn invaluable lessons as part of that journey) … I always recommend to clients that they start with a small business that they don’t really care about THAT much … because the other serial entrepreneurs on this site will most likely back me up when I say that you’ll screw it up horribly. I know I did with my first business … I know a lot of other people who did too … you need a ‘training wheels’ business … one you can play with and make mistakes with …

I absolutely agree with you that you should get started NOW … there’s no time like the present! Get going, learn what you need to learn, start making some money, lose some money, do the stuff that needs doing …

But you know they say the average millionaire has been bankrupt (or close to bankrupt) 3.5 times … because it’s not a “I’ll just get a bunch of people to invest and it will be awesome” kind of thing … it takes time and investment from you to get where you want to go …

Sounds like you have the passion to make it happen … that’s good! Because the difference between an entrepreneur and not is the ability to put your passion and vision above all else … even when it gets hard … especially when it looks like you’ve failed … to keep picking yourself up, dusting yourself off and marching on … if you can sustain that energy and passion, you’ll do just fine.

Good luck!

startsomething
    Up

Thank you for your words of wisdom Leela,

you obviously know what you’re talking about. It’s great to have this many people respond with such great advice.

I feel so much more motivated talking to people like yourself.

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

Welcome also. Definitely some good advice for you there also. Being successful in business isn’t just about the idea, it’s in the doing also – the hard work as mentioned. A lot of people say and talk about all the great ideas and things they are going to do, but many/most don’t actually follow through and do it. They are all talk and no action and eventually people stop listening or believing what these people are saying. Like the boy who cried wolf a bit I guess. I like to do first then tell.

The world always needs good new ideas though, so keep em coming, but don’t forget to do something!

All the best.

mcboom
    • Total posts: 86
    Up

One of the problems entrepreneurs struggle with is ‘idea’ overload. They start one project and then another ‘idea’ comes along to distract you and lead you off in another direction and so on. The key is to have a PLAN ! That means 1. what problem is your idea going to solve ? 2. how are you going to implement it (a business plan helps here) 3. how are you going to secure funding (also part of your business plan) and 4. most importantly what’s your exit strategy ?
    Most investors/partners will want to know these things and how they are going to make money from your idea.
    They will also need to have confidence in you as a person ! So getting some runs on the board or having some proof that your idea will work will go a long way to establishing your credibility.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.