Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Hey everyone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    ::
    Publishing428, post: 1946 wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for your feedback. We had no idea it had so many issues!! Even though we had our backs up at the start, we are really thankful to Ray for waking us up and saving us from further embarrassment.

You shouldn’t be embarrassed at all. The fact you have a website and have a few customers means you are beating at least 95% you never started! Now, like all parts of your business you need to re-evaluate and improve when you can. Continued improvement will get you into the top 1% where you want to be :)

All the best,

ahortin
    • Total posts: 42
    Up

I agree with all the above. There are some extremely intelligent and knowledgeable people on these forums. Even if you never raise a question yourself, you’re sure to pick up some useful information from simply reading through the various posts.

Good luck with the new business and as mentioned, I’m sure everyone would love to have a look at your new site when it’s up and running. ;-)

Cheers,
    Anthony.

Publishing428
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Thanks so much for the feedback.

We are working with a web designer at the moment so that we can make the changes suggested here on this forum.

He is going to do some testing of the site to make sure that it appears properly for people who have browsers other than Internet Explorer. If anyone has a spare moment could you please let us know how the site appears to you and what browser you are using so I can let him know which ones to check out.

http://www.428publishingservices.com.au

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,

Jayde and Lynda

ALittleElf
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Re: website feedback

Hi all,

Following this thread…I’m wondering if you could give me some constructive criticism about my website, what I could add to it, how to make it better?

http://www.alittleelf.com

Other than I should get a web developer – I know that already, but that’s not in the budget til later in the year.

Thanks!

Warm regards, Karen

ps, I’d like to suggest that when posting threads, that the title/subject be something specific other than Hey Everyone. Thanks!

Carole
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

I would suggest a striking photo reasonably near the top of the home page. Other than that it looks great to me.
    All the best with this.

ALittleElf
    Up

Thanks Carole!

Burgo
    • Total posts: 2,099
    Up

Actually I though ‘Hey everone’ was an attention grabber, I just had to find out what it was about

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up
    Publishing428, post: 2146 wrote:
    If anyone has a spare moment could you please let us know how the site appears to you and what browser you are using so I can let him know which ones to check out.

http://www.428publishingservices.com.au

Hi again,

It’s good to hear the forum’s advice has proven useful.

I use Firefox 3.0.5, which is the latest version, and have included a screenshot of how your home page appears – as you can see it’s not quite right.

Good luck!

Sam

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

ALittleElf, post: 2155 wrote:
    I’d like to suggest that when posting threads, that the title/subject be something specific other than Hey Everyone. Thanks!

Welcome, Little Elf!

You raise a good point. A way around it is to start a new thread with a title/subject that better suits what you’re after.

Perhaps you could repost via a new thread called “New website – feedback please” or something, or you could sit back and see what feedback you get within the existing thread. Up to you!

In the meantime, we’ve moved this thread to the Community Review section.

I love your business name, by the way. I moved house over Christmas and could really have done with a little elf to help with the unpacking.

Cheers.

Sam

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

ALittleElf, post: 2155 wrote:
    Hi all,

Following this thread…I’m wondering if you could give me some constructive criticism about my website, what I could add to it, how to make it better?

http://www.alittleelf.com

Other than I should get a web developer – I know that already, but that’s not in the budget til later in the year.

Thanks!

Warm regards, Karen

ps, I’d like to suggest that when posting threads, that the title/subject be something specific other than Hey Everyone. Thanks!

Hi,

I thought I’d dive on into the conversation. After having a look at your site I thought I’d put forward a few suggestions. I’m trying not to be too bias here as I am a designer but I think a designer/ web developer would be definitely able to improve on getting your message across a lot clearer. It’s such a fun name and I think the design could have a lot more fun. Whether it’s introducing some brighter colours and maybe some illustration just to make the site a lot more dynamic.

But until you have the budget for this, there are definitely ways that you can work with what you have.

1. I would think more about your colour scheme. Blue type on deep green isn’t very visable and the title gets lost. Maybe something a bit bolder like orange or red with the type reversed in white?

2. You could also insert an image that has a direct relevancy to the services you provide. It could be something as simple as an image of a box and a pile of papers. You can find really inexpensive images to download at http://www.istockphoto.com. This could be placed somewhere on the page instead of the image of the house in the banner. For some reason, when I look at the image, it makes me think of real estate.

3. I would also increase the size of your links on the left hand side and make them a bolder colour. I think reducing the amount of type that is in italics would also be good just so that the type is more easily read. Perhaps selecting a Sans Serif font such as Lucida or Helvetica might help to give it a cleaner, more modern appeal?

Anyway, feel free to pick and choose out of my suggestions. I hope this will be useful for you.

Cheers
    Bronwyn

Publishing428
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Thanks Sam for your feedback again. I can see what you mean about it looking not quite right!

Little Elf, I love your website. Great work! The feedback given on these forums will help though, just like it is helping us. We started this post just to say hello to everyone which is why we did not give it a specific title. I agree with Sam that you may get more feedback if you repost with a new title.

I hope everyone is looking forward to a nice long weekend!

Regards

Lynda

ALittleElf
    Up

BeniCreative, post: 2174 wrote:
    Hi,

I thought I’d dive on into the conversation. After having a look at your site I thought I’d put forward a few suggestions. I’m trying not to be too bias here as I am a designer but I think a designer/ web developer would be definitely able to improve on getting your message across a lot clearer. It’s such a fun name and I think the design could have a lot more fun. Whether it’s introducing some brighter colours and maybe some illustration just to make the site a lot more dynamic.

But until you have the budget for this, there are definitely ways that you can work with what you have.

1. I would think more about your colour scheme. Blue type on deep green isn’t very visable and the title gets lost. Maybe something a bit bolder like orange or red with the type reversed in white?

2. You could also insert an image that has a direct relevancy to the services you provide. It could be something as simple as an image of a box and a pile of papers. You can find really inexpensive images to download at http://www.istockphoto.com. This could be placed somewhere on the page instead of the image of the house in the banner. For some reason, when I look at the image, it makes me think of real estate.

3. I would also increase the size of your links on the left hand side and make them a bolder colour. I think reducing the amount of type that is in italics would also be good just so that the type is more easily read. Perhaps selecting a Sans Serif font such as Lucida or Helvetica might help to give it a cleaner, more modern appeal?

Anyway, feel free to pick and choose out of my suggestions. I hope this will be useful for you.

Cheers
    Bronwyn

Thanks so much Bronwyn! Lol, about the real estate, I’m using a template through GoDaddy, and it’s a real estate template…it was the closest I could get to what I do. Unfortunately, I can’t change that photo, only pick a different template. Thanks for your points, I will definitely make the changes that you suggested that my template allows for. Thanks for taking the time!

Warm regads, Karen

ALittleElf
    Up

sam_leader, post: 2162 wrote:
    Welcome, Little Elf!

You raise a good point. A way around it is to start a new thread with a title/subject that better suits what you’re after.

Perhaps you could repost via a new thread called “New website – feedback please” or something, or you could sit back and see what feedback you get within the existing thread. Up to you!

In the meantime, we’ve moved this thread to the Community Review section.

I love your business name, by the way. I moved house over Christmas and could really have done with a little elf to help with the unpacking.

Cheers.

Sam

Thanks Sam about the pointer, I will do that next time. Thanks for the compliment as well! Yes, I would have been happy to help with your unpacking, let me know if you need some organising fine tuning! :-)

Warm regards, Karen

ALittleElf
    Up
    Publishing428, post: 2177 wrote:
    Little Elf, I love your website. Great work!

Thanks Lynda!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.