Home – New Forums Tech talk Hey SEO People… what’s happening?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    ::

Things have become pretty SEO quiet here lately.

No argie bargie… almost boring.

So… what’s your take on Ed Dale’s post today?

“In a few days time, Google will unleash the biggest shake up of search engine rankings in it’s history.

It’s so big, Mat Cutt’s made the unusual decision to pre-announce it at a conference a couple of weeks ago.

Matt Cutts, the head of search spam at Google, said “you don’t want the next Penguin update.” He warned that the Google “engineers have been working hard,” on this update. He even added the next few updates will be “jarring and jolting” for webmasters and SEOs.”

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Sounds exciting, change is not always for the better.

Steve

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi all,

unless there has been an update since I believe this is probably the statement from Matt Cutts that might be referred to here. I’m not sure I’m seeing any major cause for panic and scaremongering?

“Hey Barry, I wasn’t saying that people needed to overly stress out about the next Penguin update, but I’m happy to give more details. I was giving context on the fact that lots of people were asking me when the next Penguin update would happen, as if they expected Penguin updates to happen on a monthly basis and as if Penguin would only involve data refreshes.

If you remember, in the early days of Panda, it took several months for us to iterate on the algorithm, and the Panda impact tended to be somewhat larger (e.g. the April 2011 update incorporated new signals like sites that users block). Later on, the Panda updates had less impact over time as we stabilized the signals/algorithm and Panda moved closer to near-monthly updates. Likewise, we’re still in the early stages of Penguin where the engineers are incorporating new signals and iterating to improve the algorithm. Because of that, expect that the next few Penguin updates will take longer, incorporate additional signals, and as a result will have more noticeable impact. It’s not the case that people should just expect data refreshes for Penguin quite yet.”

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Warren Cottis, post: 129424 wrote:
    No argie bargie… almost boring.I agree! I love the SEO argie bargie…

So… what’s your take on Ed Dale’s post today?

“In a few days time, Google will unleash the biggest shake up of search engine rankings in it’s history.”It seem he likes hyperbole, the rascal. Trying to get spots for his webinar… See his full post here

Matt Cutts, the head of search spam at Google, said “you don’t want the next Penguin update.” He warned that the Google “engineers have been working hard,” on this update. He even added the next few updates will be “jarring and jolting” for webmasters and SEOs.” Barry Schwartz (who likes hyperbole as much as our mate Ed) was the person who originally posted this. I read the blog twice, and apart from the warning “jarring and jolting”, which he added after the quoted text, there is nothing in Matt’s comments that suggests “In a few days time, Google will unleash the biggest shake up of search engine rankings in it’s history.”

But if it gets people onto webinars and gets readers to blogs, it’s seems ok for the SEO world to over exaggerate.

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

Algorithmic changes always emphasize the value of white-hat seo techniques. Unfortunately, many SEO practitioners still rely too much on black-hat tactics. Only those who can adapt to Google’s golden rules can survive in the long run.

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 129477 wrote:
    I agree! I love the SEO argie bargie…

It seem he likes hyperbole, the rascal. Trying to get spots for his webinar… See his full post here
    Barry Schwartz (who likes hyperbole as much as our mate Ed) was the person who originally posted this. I read the blog twice, and apart from the warning “jarring and jolting”, which he added after the quoted text, there is nothing in Matt’s comments that suggests “In a few days time, Google will unleash the biggest shake up of search engine rankings in it’s history.”

But if it gets people onto webinars and gets readers to blogs, it’s seems ok for the SEO world to over exaggerate.

I agree here.
    The main problem in this industry is that someone like Barry Schwartz can become an authority in what Google will do…. based on tweets, forum posts, and what someone think is happening based on Matt Cutts dreams.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

Thanks guys… phew

Are there any SEO ladies on FS?

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Warren,
    Rather than stir the pot, so far all are unanimous in condemning this bit of self aggrandizing clap-trap. One of the worst cases of over sensationalising and misquoting I’ve seen.

These Panda and Penguin updates only affect a minuscule percent of websites. The ones that will be hurt are those who use SEO services from people who apparently never read Google’s Beginners Guide to SEO.

INHO, the biggest shake up for Australians in G’s life happened in Mar/Apr this year.

Because SEO discussion is centred (sorry Yanks, “centered”) in the USA, you are unlikely to hear it getting any web space and I doubt if many US SEOs now a thing about it.

The big changes are probably also contributing to the lack SEO discussion here lately.

Regs,
    JohnW

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

Come on boys.
    Where is the love?
    :(

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    seocourse, post: 129755 wrote:
    Come up boys.
    Where is the love?
    :(
    Where the female SEOs hang out? Or is that too sexist? :)
    Regs,
    JohnW
    Aidan
    Up

Aidan tiptoes through the tulips to spread SEO & PPC love to all the good guys and gals at FS…

Aidan
    Up
    JohnW, post: 129759 wrote:
    Where the female SEOs hang out? Or is that too sexist? :)
    Regs,
    JohnW

Aidan tiptoes around this one…

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Aidan, post: 129830 wrote:
    Aidan tiptoes through the tulips to spread SEO & PPC love to all the good guys and gals at FS…Have you been smoking the good stuff again this morning Aidan?
    AngelaGirl
    • Total posts: 330
    Up
    Aidan, post: 129831 wrote:
    Aidan tiptoes around this one…

Aww come on guys.. is no one going to bite?

I’ve been dealing with sick kiddies all week and now am sick myself.. I was really hoping for some light entertainment this morning – God knows I’m going to need something to get me through today!

I’m with Warren and Matt, love a bit of SEO argie bargie :)

Aidan
    Up

…just get someone to mention how “their cousin who works in IT says meta keywords are very important”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.