• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    josiefox
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Just a little introduction….

I’m Josie, I am a graphic designer from Sydney. I have just spend the past 10 months traveling mostly in Europe and at times working as a freelancer for food and accommodation.

After having a bit of success with my freelancing and since I will very shortly be returning home, broke, unemployed and technically homeless, I am ready to start a new adventure. I have decided its the perfect time for me to venture into the world of self employment. I have already been busy researching and writing business plans and have an ABN ready to go. Now I’m hashing out all the details to hopefully be ready to launch by the end of July!

I am very grateful to have found this forum. It has been a great help so far and I’m sure with all the great minds I have seen around already, you will be able to give me some great advice.

So any general tips, hints, warnings or advice are very welcome.

Thanks!

Josie.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Woohoo welcome aboard Josie! Good on you for making the decision to fly solo. Everyone here can relate to the step you’re taking, so you’re definitely not alone.

I have one tip – the great thing about selling a service is that you don’t have to spend time developing a product (your product exists already). So you have the opportunity to start selling or promoting yourself right away, rather than waiting two months.

My advice would be to consider yourself open for business today, put up a free ad on Gumtree, and start doing one active thing every day to get your offer out there. It might take a couple of months to start getting clients, so this could at least help you launch with customers rather than going a couple of extra months with no income.

Good luck!

Dave

angelarodgers
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

Hi Josie,

Wow! It sounds like you’ve been on quite the adventure. I’m sure that’s prepared you well for what awaits – the exciting times of flying solo as a freelancer! :-)

Love Dave’s idea of getting started immediately and using Gumtree… I am always surprised by how many leads we get from there without spending any money.

This is probably obvious, but make sure you have a clean, responsive website with a good portfolio and some testimonials. That will go a long way to building trust with new clients.

Wishing you all the best!!

Angela

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Jossie,

Welcome back. If i were you I would have hung out in Europe for the summer and the returned. But back to business, I believe one of the most important things when selling yourself as a service is not to underestimate your costs and how much you need to charge to cover those and your needs.

I suggest you use the fs hourly rate calculator and do some sums before you start any quoting.
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/hourlyratecalculator

welcome to the forum and best of luck.

Steve

Wordsmith
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

Wow – it sounds like you have had a lot of fun and are feeling inspired!

My first tip (and I could be biased!) – start working on your website, so by the time you’re up and running your site is already ranking and you are generating business leads.

Wishing you much success in business and beyond!

josiefox
    Up

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply! Great tip, I am only returning home next month so I’m using some free time now in between traveling to put my website and portfolio together.

I already have 2 clients at the moment and another one in exchange for a week of accommodation in the Swiss alps.

The gumtree ad idea is a great idea! I think I’ll do that soon.

Thank you.

FS Forum Support, post: 214616, member: 49676 wrote:
    Woohoo welcome aboard Josie! Good on you for making the decision to fly solo. Everyone here can relate to the step you’re taking, so you’re definitely not alone.

I have one tip – the great thing about selling a service is that you don’t have to spend time developing a product (your product exists already). So you have the opportunity to start selling or promoting yourself right away, rather than waiting two months.

My advice would be to consider yourself open for business today, put up a free ad on Gumtree, and start doing one active thing every day to get your offer out there. It might take a couple of months to start getting clients, so this could at least help you launch with customers rather than going a couple of extra months with no income.

Good luck!

Dave

josiefox
    Up

Hi Angela,

Yes! It has been quite an experience! Its has inspired me a tonne and given more confidence in my work.

I have already started, slowly but surely. :) I definitely think utilising all my ‘free’ options such as gumtree is a great idea for me as I have little money to put in right now.

Yes, I agree with you. Right now my my website shows my portfolio but it could definitely be better. Its a work in progress. :)

Thank you,

Josie.

angelarodgers, post: 214670, member: 58536 wrote:
    Hi Josie,

Wow! It sounds like you’ve been on quite the adventure. I’m sure that’s prepared you well for what awaits – the exciting times of flying solo as a freelancer! :)

Love Dave’s idea of getting started immediately and using Gumtree… I am always surprised by how many leads we get from there without spending any money.

This is probably obvious, but make sure you have a clean, responsive website with a good portfolio and some testimonials. That will go a long way to building trust with new clients.

Wishing you all the best!!

Angela

josiefox
    Up

Hi Steve,

Oh I would stay here longer if I could! Unfortunately it’s not possible but I still have almost 2 months to enjoy Summer. :)

Hourly rate is something that I haven’t been quite sure about. I’ll check that calculator out.

Thank you.

Josie.

Divert To Mobile, post: 214728, member: 37472 wrote:
    Hi Jossie,

Welcome back. If i were you I would have hung out in Europe for the summer and the returned. But back to business, I believe one of the most important things when selling yourself as a service is not to underestimate your costs and how much you need to charge to cover those and your needs.

I suggest you use the fs hourly rate calculator and do some sums before you start any quoting.
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/hourlyratecalculator

welcome to the forum and best of luck.

Steve

josiefox
    Up
    Wordsmith, post: 214745, member: 34664 wrote:
    Wow – it sounds like you have had a lot of fun and are feeling inspired!

My first tip (and I could be biased!) – start working on your website, so by the time you’re up and running your site is already ranking and you are generating business leads.

Wishing you much success in business and beyond!

Hi!

Definitely full of inspiration right now! Europe is a wonderful place for that.

My website is a work in progress currently, lots of room for improvement. I think I may post it here a bit later, once I have completed all the improvements I have planned. Feedback would great!

Thank you,

Josie.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.