Home – New Forums New here? Share your story HI all, mechanic shop in Western Sydney

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lauzy
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi All!

My hubby and I have just opened our mechanic work shop in western sydney, its very exciting to finally carry out your dream of being business owners in a profession you love. Well his love is cars mine is customer service and admin.
    I love that we now have OUR own customers, it makes meeting them feel so much more special.

We are new to runnning a business side of things but the car and truck repairs has been going on for 15 years now, so its exciting being your own boss for a change.

I have noticed that work has died off in the last few weeks, we are not meeting the targets the old owners were reaching weekly. Apparently other business owners we talk to in the area have said the same thing, they all say yes this happens around this time of year, you just have to wait until tax time is over”.
    Is this true? is any one elses business quiet lately?
    I know there could be other factors liek new owners taking over, but we have the old owner staying on as a mechanic so its not like customers wont see him anymore.

I hope its just a rough patch that we will pass because the rent and no customers will kill us!
    Cant wait to get so much knowledge from here and I will love reading all the posts!
    Have a great day x

Jason G
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi & Welcome Lauzy,

Congratulations on opening your own business!

From past experience it does seem as though business can slow down slightly around this time of year, though it really depends on the industry/service etc.

All the best,

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi, welcome and congratulations

A mechanical workshop is hard work and yes it is very common for things to pause around this time of year. Make a note for next year.

As you have an existing business perhaps make contact to any of the business clients and suggest they get their servicing, tyres etc done before the financial year so they can put through the expense. It may just drag a few extras through the door.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there Lauzy, and congratulations on your new business.

I was going to make exactly the same suggestion as Miss Sassy, but she beat me to it :)

Fingers crossed it picks up again soon.

Good luck, and thank you for your lovely feedback about Flying Solo,
    Jayne

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Welcome to flying solo and congratulations on your new business. Yes every business has quiet periods and for some strange reason they are normally the same each year. So if this is an existing business you should have past figures to compare against.

As Kelly has suggested, I would do a database search and send out a reminder to all business owners that now is a good time to get any word done before tax time.

I would also send out a welcome letter to everyone on your data base with a special come in and meet us invitation with a free safety check or something. Particularly to those who have not been in for a while you might want to up the offer and offer a free oil change or something very attractive to re-activate these clients. They may not have been happy about something and this gives them a chance to meet the new owners, plus could generate more future business.

Nardia
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi Lauzy,

Congratulations on your new business!!! I wish you all the success in the world!

Where in Western Sydney are you based? I am in Penrith and need a new mechanic! ;)

Lauzy
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    Nardia, post: 196110 wrote:
    Hi Lauzy,

Congratulations on your new business!!! I wish you all the success in the world!

Where in Western Sydney are you based? I am in Penrith and need a new mechanic! ;)

Hi Nardia, thanks for your best wishes.
    We would love new customers :) We are located Building 3 Morley Ave Kingswood 2747. Behind the 7/11 off the Great Western Hwy. Please give us a call or just pop in PH: 47365135

Im happy to report we have been going well since opening! So many customers are coming back, commenting on how well we have restored the work shop, making it bright and giving it a fresh look from the retired couple we brought it off and its great! I love helping our community by being a honest and hard working business! People are glad we are so genuine and will not charge an arm and a leg and they come back for the loyalty. We’re having so much fun running our business and cant wait for it to grow!
    Thanks for your support guys.

beefy
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hi Lauzy,

my present business is tight access excavation (which I’m trying to get out of, there’s easier ways to make money).

The last three weeks have been terribly dead. This week ZERO jobs, last week 1 day, week before that 1 day. Talk about living in fear. A landscaper I talked to said customer enquiries have dropped off for him too, and he reckons it’s the tax time thing.

I’m certainly hoping it is just that.

Good luck with your new venture and I hope it brings you lots of happiness and of course more money :)

Keith.

Nardia
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    Lauzy, post: 196114 wrote:
    Hi Nardia, thanks for your best wishes.
    We would love new customers :) We are located Building 3 Morley Ave Kingswood 2747. Behind the 7/11 off the Great Western Hwy. Please give us a call or just pop in PH: 47365135

Im happy to report we have been going well since opening! So many customers are coming back, commenting on how well we have restored the work shop, making it bright and giving it a fresh look from the retired couple we brought it off and its great! I love helping our community by being a honest and hard working business! People are glad we are so genuine and will not charge an arm and a leg and they come back for the loyalty. We’re having so much fun running our business and cant wait for it to grow!
    Thanks for your support guys.

Great! I will definitely drop in! I only live on Victoria Street!

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Glad I’m not the only one enduring a quiet period.

Frustrating is all I can say!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.