Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi all. New pressure cleaning business

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    John Gillies
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone.

Glad to have found the forum. Looks to be quite active and informative.

I’ve started a pressure cleaning business recently. I still haven’t left my job yet but have cut back to 4 days a week.

Things are moving slowly in the right direction so far. I have a website that should be up and running in the next week or so.

Been buying machines and so forth over the last few months and am now ready to trade properly.

Just where to put my advertising dollars in the right places seems to be eluding me so far. I’ve tried a 4 week ad campaign in our local rag that was all but a dead loss.

I’m sure I’ll learn plenty here and may even be offer a little advice from time to time.

Look forward to reading and posting.

Cheers John

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    John Gillies, post: 36700 wrote:
    Just where to put my advertising dollars in the right places seems to be eluding me so far.

I read a funny quote relating to advertising a while back, not sure to attribute it to…

“50% of my advertising budget is effective, 50% is not. I just have no idea which is which”

The majority of my work comes from word of mouth, but I still do a fair bit of advertising.

The most economical for me has been letterbox drops – But the key is to be consistent.

I send a batch out about once a month – The first few times I didn’t get much of a response, but now I consistently receive quite a number of inquiries.

I’ve also found that posting my campaign on the forums here, asking for feedback before is goes live has been incredibly valuable. It’s good to get a few other opinions and a lot of people here have considerable experience with their own campaigns.

Anyway, good to have you here and looking forward to getting to know you more!

– Jake

John Gillies
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thanks for the advice Jake.

I must contact you at some point and discuss a “flyer” drop one day.
    Just need to figure out where best to put them etc.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

No problem John.

Always happy to talk / discuss ideas. Feel free to email me anytime jake.thomas[at]emroy.com.au

wapressurecleaning
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi John, hope all is going well.

I too have recently started up. If anyone in Perth would like to get in touch I’d be interested in assisting others / working in with work over flow etc.

You can get in touch through my site;

http://wapressurecleaning.net.au/

John Gillies, post: 36700 wrote:
    Hi everyone.

Glad to have found the forum. Looks to be quite active and informative.

I’ve started a pressure cleaning business recently. I still haven’t left my job yet but have cut back to 4 days a week.

Things are moving slowly in the right direction so far. I have a website that should be up and running in the next week or so.

Been buying machines and so forth over the last few months and am now ready to trade properly.

Just where to put my advertising dollars in the right places seems to be eluding me so far. I’ve tried a 4 week ad campaign in our local rag that was all but a dead loss.

I’m sure I’ll learn plenty here and may even be offer a little advice from time to time.

Look forward to reading and posting.

Cheers John

47231#deleted
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Hi John,

Great to hear you’re cutting back on the full time job and creating a new company. If only you were here in Brisbane, cause my driveway at home could certainly do with a good clean!

Like every new business there is a need business cards, so thought you might be interested in a competition we are running on our Facebook page for free business card printing, check it out: https://www.facebook.com/PrintingWholesale

Best of luck!

Aaron
    http://www.printingwholesale.com.au

Sydney Business
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

Hi John and congratulations on your new business

Firstly you need to define who your customer is – don’t say everyone

Then target who and where they are – there may be several streams of customers that you have but target them one at a time so you can measure the results.

Your marketing efforts will then be more strategic rather than hit and miss.

Best of luck

Express Blasters
    Up

Hi John,

We have just started a pressure spraying business here in Perth. Like yourself, we have just picked up the necessities needed to start up. We have just got some business cards ready and on our way to putting up our facebook page. Your questions are helpful as its hard to determine what to charge and what products to use for oil removal and so forth. We are taking your advice in regards to mail box drops. Let you know how we go. We haven’t had one job yet, thats how new we are! Express Blasters situated in success Perth. Our machine puts out 4320psi cold water and up to 70 degrees hot water. We are starting with residential areas until we build up to purchase our own hotwater unit and recycling facilities.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Express Blasters, post: 167517 wrote:
    Hi John,

We have just started a pressure spraying business here in Perth. Like yourself, we have just picked up the necessities needed to start up. We have just got some business cards ready and on our way to putting up our facebook page. Your questions are helpful as its hard to determine what to charge and what products to use for oil removal and so forth. We are taking your advice in regards to mail box drops. Let you know how we go. We haven’t had one job yet, thats how new we are! Express Blasters situated in success Perth. Our machine puts out 4320psi cold water and up to 70 degrees hot water. We are starting with residential areas until we build up to purchase our own hotwater unit and recycling facilities.

Hi Express Blasters,

Thanks for joining the forum :)

It sounds like you’re bursting at the seams to get on with things!

Good luck with it all, and we will look forward to learning more about it in due course.

All the best,
    Jayne

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi John,

I agree with kelly, examine who your customers are and focus on reaching them.
    For example, a clean house will sell for more than a mouldy house. So real estate agents would be great partners. Houses in gulleys and high moisture areas and with lots of large trees would need more concrete cleaning.

PS. The van looks great.

Steve

jonesy1970
    Up

Hi John,
    I know this is a long time after your original post but I to have just started up a high pressure business here in Port Stephens,Nelson Bay and I called my Business ,Spray The Bay.I have recently just bought 2 pressure washers.! a Karcher petrol driven machine 3200psi and the other a Jetusa petrol driven machine at 4600psi.Both are great machines and can handle plenty of grime,mould etc.
    The only way I have been advertising is through flyers in letterbox drops and word of mouth.I print the flyers myself as I also do printer ink cartridge refills as a business as well.I usually print around a hundred a day and also print around 20 letters a day in relation to peoples driveways and retaining walls.As I distribute the flyers if I see a driveway,roof,retaining wall etc,that really require some cleaning I drop a letter in their mailbox as well.This seems to do well as its just a polite way of telling the customer that their driveway etc looks crappy and I can fix it for you.Copy of letters and flyer follow underneath.
    I have had half a dozen jobs in the first three weeks and that’s from flyers ,letters and word of mouth.I also got some business cards and door magnets for my SS V8 Ute.
    I just thought yo may be interested in some information and I hope your business has been successful for you

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Jonesy,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your informative post. It’s always so valuable to get some insight into how a business generates those first few customers. Congrats on your proactive approach and thanks for sharing it with us. :)

Dave

gullywantsachip
    Participant
    Up

Hi guys,

Some great information on here. I’m looking at starting a small pressure washing business here in Melbourne. Will mainly focus on driveways, footpaths, retaining walls, roofs and graffiti removal. The problem i’m having is finding some good information on the best pressure cleaner to purchase. I don’t want to spend a fortune but obviously want something of quality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Luke

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

[USER=65894]@jonesy1970[/USER] the other thing to do is when you do a job, put flyers in 10 letter boxes either side, and don’t worry if you have already dropped one there, sometimes it is the repeat of seeing your flyer that gets them thinking.

And although I have only done a handful of pressure cleaning jobs, I wasnt keen as I always got more saturated than what I was cleaning, but all of them ended up being backyard paved areas, even though their driveways looked good, , so as you cant see into backyard find some way of getting specific to them. Even if you talk to a couple of the local mower guys to give you info on crappy backyards.

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Welcome aboard John!

IT take time to find what works. As people as said here you need to find the right message for each market you want to attract.

As was also said
    “50% of my advertising budget is effective, 50% is not. I just have no idea which is which”

There are solutions to the above issue. Its all about metrics and collecting the data you need in order to figure out what is working and what is not.

I had the same issue many years ago so I made technology that captures the metrics I needed. It made a big difference to my business.

So my advice is keep trying but only spend the money if you can capture the data you need in order figure out if you are getting the ROI you need.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.